(Topic ID: 241083)

Gorgar randomly tilts - need tilt switch pics

By Solmangrundy

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15556327788536753482531922105302 (resized).jpg
    15556327126392507956683046494778 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Can anyone post some pictures of how the slame tilt switches are supposed to be setup on this game? Previous owner either must have had a board issue or didnt like the tilt as they're spaced apart pretty far.

Coin door has its tilt Bob touching the paper which makes me wonder if its grounding out on the door during play.

The random tilt usually happens when there's a lot of action going on making me suspect the coin door tilt is setup wrong. Grounding out on the door through the paper.

15556327126392507956683046494778 (resized).jpg15556327126392507956683046494778 (resized).jpg15556327788536753482531922105302 (resized).jpg15556327788536753482531922105302 (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

I doubt that the tilt switch is grounding through the paper, unless that paper has become conductive. You can test that theory really quickly by wrapping the tilt in electrical tape or a piece of cardboard (just the one leg)

Is it tilting (ending ball) or slamming (ending game and resetting?) If it's just tilting the ball - that's not the tilt switch that's activating. The door switch will reset the game. Unfortunately, so will random resets from a bad boardset - usually the 40 pin interconnect, bad sockets, or suspect (AMI) chips (cpu or pias)

#3 5 years ago

put it in switch test , try all the switches.if you get multiple numbers on any given switch you most likely have a switch matrix issue.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

I doubt that the tilt switch is grounding through the paper, unless that paper has become conductive. You can test that theory really quickly by wrapping the tilt in electrical tape or a piece of cardboard (just the one leg)
    Is it tilting (ending ball) or slamming (ending game and resetting?) If it's just tilting the ball - that's not the tilt switch that's activating. The door switch will reset the game. Unfortunately, so will random resets from a bad boardset - usually the 40 pin interconnect, bad sockets, or suspect (AMI) chips (cpu or pias)

Tilting/end ball. Can still continue game. Hasnt tilted since I messed around with the door switch though. Went around and pressed in the connections/pins and chips on the board as well.

Other places on the forum I've read suggest that the PIA's are the suspected culprit as you said.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-gorgar-troubleshooting

#5 5 years ago

The tilt switch on the door is a slam tilt only unless someone has really messed with the wiring.

Reseating/pressing on connectors/chips will work for a while but it does point to the need to change suspect sockets and resolder or replace pins as needed. Might be fine for another 40 years, too, though.

#6 5 years ago

Best thing to do is remove the slam tilt mechs and close off the wiring in the normal condition.

You don’t need them in a home environment and it will eliminate this as a potential issue forever.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Best thing to do is remove the slam tilt mechs and close off the wiring in the normal condition.
    You don’t need them in a home environment and it will eliminate this as a potential issue forever.

I kind of like wiring them up to a credit switch instead then I can knock the door to put credits on the machine.

The Stellar Wars in my arcade growing up would award 5 credits for kicking the door when the slam tilt was maladjusted. I bet the arcade wondered why all these kids were playing that game all the time.... until they collected it and there was no money in it.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

I kind of like wiring them up to a credit switch instead then I can knock the door to put credits on the machine.
    The Stellar Wars in my arcade growing up would award 5 credits for kicking the door when the slam tilt was maladjusted. I bet the arcade wondered why all these kids were playing that game all the time.... until they collected it and there was no money in it.

That’s a great idea. But may create some bad playing habits!

#9 5 years ago

Most of mine I actually have wired for the coin return switch to hit an auxiliary switch in the door instead. I have the slams all disabled in most of the games so I'm not tempted to kick the doors when I'm having a bad game.... ironically, based on your username, all except on my black knight that one is active for a quick reset after it's handed me my ass.

1 week later
    #10 4 years ago

Ok new discovery. I have 3 burnt out transistors. Q6, Q8, and Q21 on the driver board.

Other than the no-reset from my gor targets could these be why I'm also getting a random reset?

Gor target bulb will light and snake pit will advance every time it tilts which otherwise doesnt happen since that's "broke" and doesnt score/reset after the targets drop

Hoping wacking these gremlins will also solve this random-tilt issue.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-randomly-tilts-need-tilt-switch-pics?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.