New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 218256)

Gorgar Question

By StratDoc

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9C9ED182-5EC8-4BE5-8B5E-BBC5BE563431 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
B8941D18-DB11-4578-B00F-A72D74CE2CAA (resized).jpeg
DBB6D316-6F7E-4CCB-88D8-E10380D2A7EB (resized).jpeg
07ACA45B-89B0-4F9F-91C0-EA9FAB91B9BE (resized).jpeg
3A0FB63C-1FB4-4E36-B28C-A7CF471EA160 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

So my Gorgar kept blowing f2 fuse and locking up. I did the ground mod as suggested by by a service bulletin. That has solved the fuse blowing and lock up issues.

Now when the game is turned on when cold the pin goes into attract mode, kicks the ball into the shooter lane and then all displays go blank and I cannot start a game. Turn the power off and back on and everything is fine. Plays all day after the second power on with no issues.

#2 2 years ago

If you haven't changed out the 40pin interconnector.betwren the MPU and the driver board, plus installing new sockets.for the ICs, then you'll never be out of the woods with random lockups and resets.

#3 2 years ago

The boards are new Kohut boards so connectors, etc. are good. Bought them before he decided to stop manufacturing boards.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

The boards are new Kohut boards so connectors, etc. are good. Bought them before he decided to stop manufacturing boards.

New power supply?

#5 2 years ago

Not a new power supply, but completely rebuilt.

#6 2 years ago

Tech: Howdy y’all. Acquired a Gorgar recently and it played well with sound for an hour. After that hour it locked up unexpectedly. It’s is unresponsive to flipper and start button. However, lights are on and flash. No sound. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

3A0FB63C-1FB4-4E36-B28C-A7CF471EA160 (resized).jpeg
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

The connector pins on the board may be good but the wire harness connectors are sketchy on all these 30+ year old games. You my try holding in the start button(have a friend do it or use an alligator clip to bridge the two leaf blades together) then go to the board and wiggle the input connectors and see if it starts up. It wont fix the problem but it may tell you which is the culprit. Of course, you may have a stray wire or intermittent connection in the wiring under the playfield.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from VampireKangaroo:

Tech: Howdy y’all. Acquired a Gorgar recently and it played well with sound for an hour. After that hour it locked up unexpectedly. It’s is unresponsive to flipper and start button. However, lights are on and flash. No sound. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Disregard the sound issue for now, as it's a separate board... Focus on the game not starting. Once again, have you changed out the 40pin connector or any other board components or connectors? I've bulletproofed alot of these games and the connectors, pins, and sockets will always let you down. Just wore tarnished and no more tensile strength from age.

#9 2 years ago

Is the F2 fuse blown on the power supply?

#10 2 years ago
07ACA45B-89B0-4F9F-91C0-EA9FAB91B9BE (resized).jpegB8941D18-DB11-4578-B00F-A72D74CE2CAA (resized).jpegDBB6D316-6F7E-4CCB-88D8-E10380D2A7EB (resized).jpeg
#11 2 years ago

Here are some pics I took today, Tuesday. Sorry but this is my first pinball. Total noob. I’m good at many things but any kind of wiring is a head scratcher for me, for the most part.

#12 2 years ago
image (resized).jpg
#13 2 years ago

The fourth pic of three fuses is at the bottom right of the Gorgar backbox.

#14 2 years ago

These last two are at the bottom base of the backbox. Total I count 12 fuses in the backbox.

9C9ED182-5EC8-4BE5-8B5E-BBC5BE563431 (resized).jpeg
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Not a new power supply, but completely rebuilt.

Pull the power supply board. Clean the metal tabs that make contact with the metal in the back box. Clean the tabs on the back box that the screws insert into. Make sure the ground braid has good connection to the sheet metal in the back box. This is all to insure good ground is being made for the board. I've fixed a few of these games with reset issues by doing this.

#16 2 years ago

Pull each fuse and check what the rating is on the fuse and confirm it is correct with the manual. If not correct replace with correct. If correct check the fuse for continuity with a meter. Do one fuse at a time so you're sure not to mix them up. That's a good starting point for you.

#17 2 years ago

I will do that. Thanks for all yalls help. I will let y’all know once I’ve completed this task. I’m also open to any more/other suggestions.

#18 2 years ago

Quick update: I replaced the F2 fuse with a proper 2.5 amp fuse. Gorgar still won’t turn over but at least it didn’t make the situation worse. I will continue replacing the fuses tomorrow when the stores open up. Oddly, found the 2.5 fuse at WalMart in a kit set after I had been to Home Depot and Lowe’s. Just extra info in case. 2.5 was pretty hard to find.

#19 2 years ago

I'd be looking at the back of your boards for cracked solder joints at the connector pins and scorched or old connectors. My gorgar had a ton of bad solder on it and it fixed a whole ton of random issues just to reflow it all.

#20 2 years ago

go into diagnostics and check to see if your switches are working, sounds like some are no longer working.

#21 2 years ago

I will check those out. Thanks for the help y’all.

#22 2 years ago

So I looked up Williams system 6 settings on YouTube and followed the instruction from a minute and half video. My Gorgar seems to be working at about 95% now as it turns on and plays with most of the sound. The 5% difference is that Gorgar himself doesn’t seem to want to talk anymore. Any advice for getting his voice back into the game? Thanks for yalls time and help.

#23 2 years ago

I think there's a separate volume control on the speech daughterboard and possibly a jumper setting you may need to change.

#24 2 years ago

He's shy. Talk to him, get to know him. He will open up eventually.

2 months later
#25 2 years ago

So I looked up Williams system 6 settings on YouTube and followed the instruction from a minute and half video. My Gorgar seems to be working at about 95% now as it turns on and plays with most of the sound. The 5% difference is that Gorgar himself doesn’t seem to want to talk anymore. Any advice for getting his voice back into the game? Thanks for yalls time and help.

It sounds like some of the signals to the sound card may not be getting there.

I have written some test ROMs from scratch that can be run in the game. Give them a try and see if they help you find the problem, specifically, the "13-sounds" ROM can help you isolate which ones are not getting through.

You can download them from here: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

Hope that helps
Craig

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 11.00
$ 30.00
Apparel - Men
Pinball Haus
$ 899.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside