• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-162.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Picked up my second machine ( gorgar ) which was a little rough on the edges. My son and I have been playing it for a bit and now the ball won't kick in the shooter lane between balls. The solenoid works at game start up and functions in test mode. I assume with a little guidance it shouldn't be anything major I HOPE. Any guidance would be appreciated. I am an electrician by trade and have done plenty of work on my fireball classic before. I'm a little nervous after reading all the problems with the williams system 6 boards.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage-162.jpgimage-162.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Set up for 1 ball game by chance?? Just guessing.

So if a ball drains it just sits there? Does it count up end of ball bonus?

#3 9 years ago

I have worked a lot with my old Gorgar and there was a lot that was broken so I hope I can help.

Does it work when the machine is cool?
One of my problems was that after 15 min the game started to act strange. Coils not working and sound disappearing. It was a heat issue that was easy to fix.

#4 9 years ago

My problem happens when I'm in one or two player mode. The problem occurs right away when cool as well. When performing solenoid test it never fails. My sling shots both work but do not score as well. I fear I might have to reflow solder on that beast of a board. Ughhh

#5 9 years ago

The ball just sits there not kicking out. I've tried to clean and align switch which hasn't worked.

#6 9 years ago

I can't remember, but are there a switch checking if there is any ball there?

#7 9 years ago

Is the switch registering in switch edge test?

#8 9 years ago

When the ball drains, does the machine score your bonus and move to the next player? If not, I would loo at the trough switches to make sure they are registering (the machine may not be detecting the ball drained). If so, I would check the shooter lane switch (the machine may think there is already a ball in the shooter lane).

#9 9 years ago

Yes there is a switch with a diode on it to activate the solenoid when it drains. It will not advance to player two either when ball drains in two player game and doesn't score your bonus. I'm not sure how to do a switch edge test I'm still a noob. I have owned fireball classic for a year and gorgar a month I'm learning more every day. My son tried it out today and said it worked for a few balls and then stopped again. Does that shed a new light on the diagnosis doctors?

#10 9 years ago

Sounds like the switch in the ball trough that registers that the ball has drained is not working. With the machine off, lift the playfield and support with the prop rod. Roll the ball back and forth in the trough and find the switch that registers that it is in the trough. First visually inspect the contact points on the switch to make sure they are pressing together when the ball rolls to the end of the trough and opening when the ball is not in the trough. If they are not making sold contact, gently bend the leaf switches to the contact points are open when the ball is not in the trough and closed when the ball is in the trough. There will be less than 1/16" gap between the contacts when the ball is not in the trough and switch is open.

If they are already making contact, they are probably just dirty. NEVER use abrasives of chemicals to clean these types of contacts, they only have a thin layer of gold plating on them and you can end up filing through the plating. All you need to do is sandwich a business card or a piece of cardstock (or a crisp dollar bill) between the contact points, gently push the contact points together and pull the paper out. Do this 2-3 times until the paper comes out basically clean.The paper rubbing on the contact points will safely clean the oxidation and dirt from the contact points.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks will try it. Hopefully that does the trick. Thanks

#12 9 years ago

No dice on cleaning and adjusting the switch. Again the game worked for two hours only to return to the state of disarray it has been in. The contacts look like they have been cleaned improperly with sandpaper or something. They look like nubs instead of discs. Everything is original for the most part and whatever is changed has been done shoddy. I had a flipper solenoid wired wrong and fixed that now it works all the time and without humming. I will order some new switches for the ones that look problematic. Does anyone know the rating of the diode at the switch because I'm probably gonna have to order them separately. Thanks gang.

#13 9 years ago

The standard switch diode is the 1N4004 but if you are buying them, I would get the 1N4007. The 1N004 is rated at 400V peak inverse voltage and the 1N4007 is rated at 1000V but cost the same. You can get 20 of either at GPE for $1. The extra voltage rating is useless in the switch and lamp matrix but is extra insurance on the coil diodes. If you want to source them locally and can't find the 1N4007, the more common 1N4004 is just fine in most areas of a pinball machine.

I would recommend getting 20-100 of them as they are used all over pinball machines (coil, switch and lamp matrix, some places on the boards too).

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=170

#14 9 years ago

Thanks schwaggs for the diode info and I figured out the cause of the intermittent problem. The molex connectors are original and when I pushed them in a bit the out hole switch worked. I have my work cut out for me but at least I know what it is. 35 years later and now it is time to redo all of the connectors on all of the boards. I might even try to reflow solder also after watching vids bulletproofing video. Thanks again guys

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-out-hole-suddenly-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.