Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Carl_694
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2016-02-02_16.11.50_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hey guys. First time poster, long time listener.

I'm sorry if I am asking a question that has been asked before but I am having issues trying to figure out where to start.

First things first. I am a newb. A total newb. However, I do have a basic understanding how pins work. That is my problem... Basic. With that being said, please be patient with me. I am learning. =)

I picked up a Gorgar pin today. Super happy. I have wanted one for a long time. I was so happy to see Gorgar but he is not so happy to see me. Maybe he doesn't like my house? Gorgar will not talk to me. That red-faced jerk isn't saying a thing. LOL. No speech nor am I getting any sound effects. I turn it on and I hear the hum of the system through the speaker for about 5 seconds and then it goes away. I have pushed that test button on the sound board and get nothing. Everything else appears to be working.

Where should I start? How should I troubleshoot this? I have checked the volume knobs.

Thank you in advanced.

-Hockeynut

#2 3 years ago

First thought, does it have the speech board ? Test Gorgar's didn't have it, and many ops didn't pay to add it later.

LTG : )™

#3 3 years ago

Yes. It does. The gentlemen I purchased it from said it was speaking then stopped.

#4 3 years ago

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

#5 3 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Useful_Sound_Board_Repair_Links. Could be a lot of different problems. if you hear a hum from speaker than its probably ok you can try turning the volume control to see if you hear anything, turn the speech sound mixer to see if it changes anything (usually it's set somewhere in the middle) reseating connectors to see if it changes, check female ends of wire connectors for bad/worn crimp contactors, while on and game playing press on connectors while plugged in to see if their is any change, could have cold solder joints on boards. Check out the link for a bunch of suggestions.

#6 3 years ago

Step one... voltages

There are four test points on the sound board. One is ground, one is +5vdc, one is +12vdc one is -12vdc. Check each of those.

The hum you hear when you first turn is probably a capacitor is charging up. It shouldn't take five seconds to charge though.

#8 3 years ago

Thank you. I will check it out. So... Like turkey I damaged one of the sound eproms trying to remove it. I broke a pin. Can I still troubleshoot this or do I need to replace it. I think you guys refer to it as IC5.

#9 3 years ago

OK. I am probably being very liberal with my time. It is very quick. How long should it take?

Thank you.

#10 3 years ago

You can still check voltages but you might as well start looking for your sound rom now.

#11 3 years ago

Ok. Thank you.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeynut:

OK. I am probably being very liberal with my time. It is very quick. How long should it take?
Thank you.

half second or so.

check your voltages before worrying about the hum.

Quoted from boscokid:

You can still check voltages but you might as well start looking for your sound rom now.

I disagree. The sound ROM on the main sound board almost never fails... the socket the sound rom is in though is usually a scanbe and a major source of problems on these boards.

Speech board ROMs are a different story, those are often bad.

#13 3 years ago

I think the broken pin on the rom might be a problem going forward, granted it's not the original problem.

#14 3 years ago

oh i missed that part about the broken pin on the sound rom. yeah that would be a problem. I would just buy a new one.

you can try to take an old junked out chip. Cut a leg off of it and solder it back to the damaged pin.

#15 3 years ago

Did you snag the one that was for sale local here in MD (advertised on Pinside)? It was either MD or just over the boarder in PA. I was going to take a swipe at that machine myself.

#16 3 years ago

Sounds like the one Carl had up in York, PA. He had it advertised with sound issue last week for $750 then reduced the price to $650 Saturday if I remember correctly.

#17 3 years ago

Yes. That is (was) my machine. Chip still had its leg when I had it.

#18 3 years ago

Had intermittent sound issues with mine. Typical crackling/intermittent heartbeat... Bought a brand new sound board on Ebay. About $175... The seller put the Gorgar chips in it. Works like a charm. Alternative is to send the board out and have it repaired and new chips put in... much cheaper I assume. Board repair is beyond my scope! My Gorgar is bionic... Rottendog MPU/CPU, Rottendog Power and the new sound board! I don't mind being upside down on this one... it's my father's favorite machine!

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Yes. That is (was) my machine. Chip still had its leg when I had it.

I came VERY close to looking at that machine last week. Saw your add, liked the price, got distracted......

#21 3 years ago

2016-02-02_16.11.50_(resized).jpg

#22 3 years ago

^^^^
Is that the board in question?? if so, yeah id say that sound board has some problems. Wrong kind of bridge and a burnt AC input pin which go together, factory caps, AMI brand PIA, etc. At least it has RN sockets.

#23 3 years ago

No. I put that there so he could identify the test points.

#24 3 years ago

Thank you Carl. I did not understand where the test points were. Carl was helping me out. =)

Ok. So, I finally had some time to troubleshoot. It turns out one of the fuses was bad. I also tested the board.

Here are my results.

+12v - 11.1
-12v - -12.8
+5v - 4.8

According to the link that was shared with me, it does not need to be spot on.

After I replaced the fuse I hit the test button. Sound came out of the speaker! However, it was very very very faint. Keep in mind I did damage IC5. The volume was cranked up all the way. When I turned it down I could not hear a thing.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

-HN

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeynut:

Thank you Carl. I did not understand where the test points were. Carl was helping me out. =)
Ok. So, I finally had some time to troubleshoot. It turns out one of the fuses was bad. I also tested the board.
Here are my results.
+12v - 11.1
-12v - -12.8
+5v - 4.8
Does it need to be spot on 12 an 5? After I replaced the fuse I hit the test button. Sound came out of the speaker! However, it was very very very faint. Keep in mind I did damage IC5. The volume was cranked up all the way. When I turned it down I could not hear a thing.
Thoughts?
Thank you!
-HN

Sound / speech is amplified and mixed together on the speech boards. You could try setting the board for just sound and disconnecting the speech board. That would rule out the op amps on the speech board that mix together the speech/sound. Takes adding/cutting a jumper and adjusting the dip switches.

#26 3 years ago

Ok. I will give it a try. Thank you.

#27 3 years ago

I would not do that yet. First make sure those two little switches at the top of the sound board are configured properly. Get the ROM installed.

#28 3 years ago

Ok. I isolated the speech board. Same thing. Sound was very faint.

I believe I have them configured the proper way. Well... according to the spec sheet in the cabinet. I have also tried every configuration possible. I can barely hear it.

#29 3 years ago

my black knight did the same thing, barely hear it , had to have your ear on the speaker. did a cap kit, new amp, reflowed it. PIA was crapping out .

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeynut:

Ok. I isolated the speech board. Same thing. Sound was very faint.
I believe I have them configured the proper way. Well... according to the spec sheet in the cabinet. I have also tried every configuration possible. I can barely hear it.

You are adjusting the volume inside the coin door, right? Not via the knob on the sound board?

#31 3 years ago

Yeah. I have been adjusting both. I think I am going try a new board and see how it goes. =)

#32 3 years ago

What about that ROM? After you getting sound and speech?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside