Gorgar (No Speech)

By paulywalnuts23

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Have a Gorgar and I get absolutely no speech out of it.. Sounds come out fine but it will not speak.. Speech Roms are fairly new… Have taken the speech board out and it appears to be in fine shape, no broken connections… Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks,

Paul

#2 9 years ago

Also switches 1 and 2 are in the proper on off positions for the sounds and speech to work…

#3 9 years ago

Check the speech/sound balance trim pot on the speech board.

if that's OK most likely dead 1458 op amp at U3 on the speech board or a dead CVSD speech chip at U1.

Bad sockets on speech eproms, bad ribbon cable, bad electolytic caps on speech board are a couple other possibilities.

#4 9 years ago

I checked the pot and it works as it suppose to, when I twist it it lowers the sound of the sounds however since there is no Speech it doesn't do anything for it. Just raises and lowers the volume of the sound. So it appears to be working… I will start running through your check list of things and see if it is any one of those..

Thanks,

Paul

#5 9 years ago

Does it talk when you press the diagnostic button?

#6 9 years ago

Cold solder joint on header pins.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Does it talk when you press the diagnostic button?

No it does not...

2 months later
#9 9 years ago

I believe the problem is actually IC1 on the speech board. I am currently having the same problem and have come across a post that clearly explains what to do.

http://home.scarlet.be/~fb054529/soundwill/esoundwill.htm

#10 9 years ago

Relooking at the schematic it can be IC2 or IC3. Both are 1458's and both amplify the speech.

#11 9 years ago

Check the dip switches with a meter to be sure they are working. Saw another post where a BK had a bad switch.

#12 9 years ago

spreading the threads i love it!

3 weeks later
#13 9 years ago

Cool guys, I haven't been working on this as I have had some other pins come in that I have been working on. But I will be getting back on this here in the next couple of days so I will try out what has been suggested...

Thanks,

Paul

#14 9 years ago

I had a gorgar with no speech or sound, turnS out the speech roms were bad, and in the wrong
order in their sockets. ordered new ROMs and now GORGAR SPEAKS

#15 9 years ago

80spit, the sounds work, there is just no speech..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-no-speech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.