Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a problem with Gorgar. Displays are completely dead, no orange dot glow either. Gorgar is the first machine I bought (shopped does not mean everything was done correctly as far as fuses are concerned) and the last one I repinned the board edge connectors along with replacing the female connectors with new crimp connectors, new capacitors on PS. Did all the work at once. I have done this repining work to a handful of machines so maybe I was overconfident doing all at once.Powered it up and heard a crackling at transformer, displays went out. Found that the 1/4A sbl fuse was replaced with a much higher (15-20A) before I got it and I never checked this because it was working. That was over a year ago, I pulled the plug and walked away until yesterday out of frustration.
I found today that I switched the 2 black wires that go to the bridge rectifiers.
At this point if I remove all connections to the PS board except the 2 square power in ones(3J1&3J2) I have 95VAC at pin 4 on 3J1 and the bottom holder of F1, If I insert a 2A (a 1/4A sbl instantly blew the first try before changing the 2 black bridge rectifier wires around) fuse in F1 the voltage at pin 4 of 3J1 and F1 drop to 6.3V.

#2 8 years ago

shorted d3 or d4 would be my guess. Meter set to diode test, check across them each direction. If it reads short in both directions, bad. Check all the diodes in the HV section.

Unplug the displays too until you get the power correct. 3J5 on the PS feeds the display.

The FirePower manual on IPDB has a good schematic for this power supply.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks, I was leaning towards transistors, Will start at D3-D4, Wondering about the 2 wires I mixed up on the bridge rectifiers as to what damage that could cause.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Thanks, I was leaning towards transistors, Will start at D3-D4, Wondering about the 2 wires I mixed up on the bridge rectifiers as to what damage that could cause.

The bridge rectifiers mounted against the back wall cabinet head are for the the feature lamps and for the solenoids. They shouldn't have any effect on the displays. Black wires on those bridges are the negative pin. Wile you want the feature lamp bridge negative lead to be the black wire also connected to the feature lamp smoothing cap, it shouldn't really matter if they where rotated as the grounds would be common at the driver board.

The rectification for the HV is D3 and D4 on the power board. I always start with checking rectification diodes when fuses are blowing instantly.

If the displays went out after ripinning the boards. Check j1 and j5 of the power board. See the firepower manual on IPDB and check page 13 for the power supply and page 23 for the power wiring.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks, problem partially solved, displays working anyway, Diodes at D3 and D4 were the issue, game is booting into audit mode but have not investigated further, quick fix is to install one of the spare rebuilt MPU's I have. If you recall when I sent them to you for rebuild that one may end up in Gorgar.

Ed

#6 8 years ago

Hi Ed,

Open the coin door and power cycle a few times quickly. If it never goes into attract mode there is a problem with the 5101 RAM or the memory protect circuit(s)

If it goes into attract mode, battery problem.

Good luck,
Andrew

#7 8 years ago

I had tried that with no luck, batteries had 3.8V at board, thought that would be fine, installed new batteries to get 4.?? at board and still had to set game settings (#balls,max credits,sound on/off) twice before it went into attract mode. I think it is time to go the NVRAM route on all my machines..Gorgar is working again.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

I had tried that with no luck, batteries had 3.8V at board, thought that would be fine, installed new batteries to get 4.?? at board and still had to set game settings (#balls,max credits,sound on/off) twice before it went into attract mode. I think it is time to go the NVRAM route on all my machines..Gorgar is working again.

There is a memory protection switch on the coon door, so it has to be open. Make sure the coin door stays open until you get a successful boot up to attract mode and keep the door open when setting audits. What happens is the computer checks a specific section of the RAM looking certain check value to be written there. If the RAM does not have the the check value that the computer expects, it assumes the RAM has been scrambled and it needs to be set to defaults. What it does is it starts audit mode and sets a flag into the RAM that tells the computer to do a factory reset the next time bootup.

Best course of action after changing batteries / going to NVRAM is to leave the coin door open. Power cycle a few times until you get attract mode. Then you can set your audits up the way you want. If you don't get attract mode before setting your audits, you risk having the "restore factory defaults" flag still being set in the RAM which will reset everything next bootup erasing your audit setup work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-no-displays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.