Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So on occasion, our Gorgar is resetting, but only during a double flip. Power goes dead to the flippers, all lights flash once, and you can even start a new game before the ball in play drains.

It sits with our other games in our finished basement, where I think we have a pretty good setup. There's have a gas fireplace for the winter, and a dehumidifier in the summer. So the games never see extremes in temperature or humidity, but there obviously can be moderate fluctuations in either. I haven't tried to write down the conditions of when it happens vs. when not to see if I can attribute it to an environmental condition... but I also know that doing that to then dial in the conditions only circumvents the issue, not fixes it.

Is the double flip reset common on the older System 6 games, like I've heard it can be on later titles (was it WPC I heard)? Is there something I should be looking for specifically on the boards?

#2 5 years ago

Check your 5V level going into your MPU. It might be low.

1 month later
#3 5 years ago

I have this exact same issue - double flippers mid game causing reset, can start new game with start button (it's in free play). Have updated PSU per Vid1900 bulletproofing doc. I will check my 5V. I will also check the diodes on the coils for my flippers.

Rottendog MPU327 MPU board by the way. Has worked really well for a long time.

Any other advice?

zacaj

Thanks for this post Yoko2una

#4 5 years ago

It sounds like the 5v DC is getting too low, as zacaj mentioned above. I found another thread for a Williams system 4 game (very similar to system 6, used in Gorgar)...relevant comment:

I found what was causing the mpu reset. 5.05 volts was coming out of the power supply. We measured the voltage at the pin connector on the power supply and it was lower. We measured it at several places on the mpu and it was as low as 4.74 volts. We re-soldered the connections on the back of the power supply for the 5 volt connector. The voltage improved. We did the same on the mpu and now it is getting 4.96 volts and works perfectly.

Here's the thread that post came from: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-5-volt-low#post-4593333

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

It sounds like the 5v DC is getting too low, as zacaj mentioned above. I found another thread for a Williams system 4 game (very similar to system 6, used in Gorgar)...relevant comment:
I found what was causing the mpu reset. 5.05 volts was coming out of the power supply. We measured the voltage at the pin connector on the power supply and it was lower. We measured it at several places on the mpu and it was as low as 4.74 volts. We re-soldered the connections on the back of the power supply for the 5 volt connector. The voltage improved. We did the same on the mpu and now it is getting 4.96 volts and works perfectly.
Here's the thread that post came from: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-5-volt-low#post-4593333

Where would I get new connectors for the PSU? I have a Rottendog MPU327 so I will check but unlikely the connectors there are bad. I have an original PSU that I reworked via VID1900's post. Also of course did the 8A 250V fuses on the bridge rectifiers.

#6 5 years ago

Recap your power supply. I just had this same issue William system 6 game. Recaped the power supply and all is good.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

Recap your power supply. I just had this same issue William system 6 game. Recaped the power supply and all is good.

That's been done. Capacitors, diodes, resistors, I think even a transistor or two per Vid1900's guide.

#8 5 years ago

The connectors (male and female) can be purchased at Great Plains Electronics.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=35

#10 5 years ago

Thanks for that! Did you put the 8A fuses inbetween the inputs on your bridge rectifiers as suggested by the bulletproofing doc?

#12 5 years ago

Looks like I got the same fuse holders as you. I've done my Blackout and Black Knight like that, have yet to do the others. Hope this will keep them for another fourty years!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-need-help-double-flip-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.