6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2187 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi everyone, I have done one or two posts in the past and have received some great advice. Let me share some background which can help with anyone that responds. My issue is relating to a Gorgar I picked up earlier this year. In great shape but has a few issues.

1. The bottom lights under the playfield that are in a row on a metal bar. I thought they had no power due to the bulbs not working but I tested out voltages on them and it seems like they are getting too much voltage. Tested them when on and getting around 10volts which is constantly fluctuating since I am tested in game over mode. To my understanding it should be around 6volts or so based on other light tests. It is the entire row along with I think the lights on the far left and right. A LED works but very light and flickering.

2. Certain numbers on my displays come up with the wrong number. This is on all 4 displays and I think on the credit / match area. For instance I think the 2 and a few other numbers and always on all displays. I recently picked up a Gottlieb System 1 Solar ride that had similar issues and had to repin most of the cables on the connector going to the MPU and fixed the issue. Don't want to assume and go through that trouble. I just pulled up some Williams manual information but wanted to see if any recommendations on which way to proceed. I have not touched any cables as trying to avoid screwing something up by not having a plan of action.

This is my 3rd pin, coincidently all are from 1979. Gorgar, Solar Ride, and my original from 12 years ago, Countdown. Have a Baby Pac and some arcades. The term I use for myself is, Smart enough to be dangerous.

I appreciate any guidance on where to begin.

I can attach pics if someone thinks it is beneficial. But wanted post while I had the time.
Thanks
Jose

#2 6 years ago

Would not hurt to gently clean circuit board edge connections with something like an art gum eraser. The CPU board, really all boards, could have the common issue of cracked solder joints at the header pins.

Most likely the Master Display board has a problem. Note exactly what is wrong, and study the schematic to see which chips could be involved. Some parts can be tested with a logic probe (cheap if you don't already have one). Pull the high voltage display fuse on the power supply board before probing around (otherwise the +/- 100V could do some harm).

Controlled lamps are strobed by the driver board, by rows and columns. The manual has a wiring diagram with the lamp matrix. Figure out which lamps are wrong and see what they have in common. Have you tried these lamps with original incandescent bulbs?

#4 6 years ago

Thanks guys. Appreciate the responses. Have a start. Will update once i start the process. Appreciate it.

#5 6 years ago

Hi guys, one down, a couple to go. I started playing with the edge connectors on the main display board that connects all displays and the ones going to the board in back box. Took a chance to test and all displays are working, niiiice. I looked at all the pins and they looked solid as i had to do some crimping and repining on my solar ride recently do didnt notice anything out of the ordinary but something was either lose or dirty. Great amd lucky when a simple fix. Now on to some lights. Again, appreciate the advice.

IMG_2187 (resized).JPGIMG_2187 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-need-help-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.