Mag Test 2 (resized).jpg
Mag test 1 (resized).jpg
CorrectWiring (resized).jpg
Diode (resized).jpg
Relay (resized).jpg
IMG_4648 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi All,

I have a project Gorgar that is 90% finished, except I have and odd issue with Gorgar's ball holding magnet. When I bought the game, the wires were clipped to the magnet, so this is an existing issue. Since I bought it:
- the 40-pin connectors have been replaced
- the driver board has been rebuilt
- power supply and sound boards recapped

With all of the above done the game is now running well, so I thought I would try and reconnect the magnet. With the magnet reconnected, all is fine until I hit the magnet switch. Then, I can hear a bunch of the solenoids fire, then the fuse connected to the magnet blows.

I would appreciate any advice regarding how to troubleshoot and fix this. Gorgar needs to be able to hold the ball when he says "Me got you!".

-Rob

#2 4 years ago

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

#3 4 years ago

Is there a diode on the magnet coil? Not having a diode (installed with proper orientation to the ground/voltage wires) will cause issues like this.
Is the magnet coil within proper resistance? If it is shorted internally, then it will never work and will keep causing issues like blown fuses and transistors.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from vintageclub:

Is there a diode on the magnet coil? Not having a diode (installed with proper orientation to the ground/voltage wires) will cause issues like this.
Is the magnet coil within proper resistance? If it is shorted internally, then it will never work and will keep causing issues like blown fuses and transistors.

Hi VintageClub,

I have tried to ohm test the magnet, but I've never tested one this big before. I'm not sure what the proper readings should be. It does not read as a direct short, though. It does not look burned in any way either.

There is a diode in the circuit before the magnet. It tests as "good" as well.

I just don't understand what could be causing most of the solenoids to be firing with the magnet. A short somewhere? I've looked at all the wiring and can't find a short.

#5 4 years ago

Like vintageClub was saying... you said the diode tests ok...but is it installed the right direction?

#6 4 years ago

With the added solenoids firing it could be PIA or logic chip issues.. Try using the built-in diagnostics to fire each of the solenoids one at a time. you might find some irregularities. You can also do complete diagnostics with these test ROMs:

http://pincoder.ca

They will help you further isolate the problem.

#7 4 years ago

The link below is a service bulletin posted to the internet pinball database that was released on Gorgar about the magnet and flash lamps - solenoid fuse blowing. I was having issues with my Gorgar and this wiring change solved the problem -

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1062/Williams_1979_Gorgar_Service_Bulletin_SS20_no_date_special_adjustments_and_wiring_change.pdf

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Like vintageClub was saying... you said the diode tests ok...but is it installed the right direction?

According to other Gorgar pictures I have seen- yes, the diode is in the right direction. The stripe is headed down to the base of the the machine, where the orange and black wires come together.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

The link below is a service bulletin posted to the internet pinball database that was released on Gorgar about the magnet and flash lamps - solenoid fuse blowing. I was having issues with my Gorgar and this wiring change solved the problem -
https://www.ipdb.org/files/1062/Williams_1979_Gorgar_Service_Bulletin_SS20_no_date_special_adjustments_and_wiring_change.pdf

I wish they would have included some images in the bulletin. I have recreated what I wiring looked like before I snipped the wires. I'm assuming this what the bulletin wants changed.

#10 4 years ago

I can send you some pics later today of how mine is wired.

#11 4 years ago

Can you take a picture of the magnet relay switch? It appears you have 4 wires connected to the switch.
IMG_4648 (resized).jpgIMG_4648 (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Can you take a picture of the relay coil?[quoted image]

Here is the relay coil. Let me know if there is a different picture you need.

Also, here is the diode. The stripe is pointing down. This is correct, right?

StratDoc - If you wouldn't mind, can you tell me the Ohms across your snake pit magnet? It would be nice to have something to compare mine to.

Thanks!

Relay (resized).jpgRelay (resized).jpgDiode (resized).jpgDiode (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago

Your switch is wired correctly. Just check a good known diode. Should register the same.

#14 4 years ago

You say the diode tested good. Did you lift one leg to test or did you test in circuit? To test correctly you have to clip and lift one leg. They are only pennies a piece, just replace it.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

You say the diode tested good. Did you lift one leg to test or did you test in circuit? To test correctly you have to clip and lift one leg. They are only pennies a piece, just replace it.

Thanks Travish. When I say I tested it, I mean that I removed the diode completely and tested it in "diode mode" on the meter. It tested perfectly and didn't allow any current to flow backwards.

Regarding the magnet relay, it is energizing properly both during test mode and gameplay mode.

So, I'm starting to wonder if the magnet is bad after all.

-Barky

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Barky_Dog:

I wish they would have included some images in the bulletin. I have recreated what I wiring looked like before I snipped the wires. I'm assuming this what the bulletin wants changed.[quoted image]

I don't understand how this could work?
what is the orange wire that goes between both sides of the magnet?
looks like a direct short to me.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

I don't understand how this could work?
what is the orange wire that goes between both sides of the magnet?
looks like a direct short to me.

That's my fault, wdennie. I had already clipped the wires to the magnet before I took that picture. I stuck the wires in place for the picture, but put one in the wrong place. Here is how the magnet wiring is supposed to look. I guess the diode prevents the short. Makes sense now?

CorrectWiring (resized).jpgCorrectWiring (resized).jpg
#18 4 years ago

I pulled the magnet off, and in testing it again- now I'm not I'm not seeing ANY resistance across it. So, I guess it's toast.

Anyone know of a good replacement magnet for Gorgar?

#19 4 years ago

OK. This case is officially solved. For a test, I wired up in parallel a couple relay coils that I had laying around. Then I triggered the snake pin, the coils energized and pulled a ball towards them just fine.

So, the original magnet was toast. THANKS all for your help.

Anyone know of a good replacement magnet?

Barky

Mag test 1 (resized).jpgMag test 1 (resized).jpgMag Test 2 (resized).jpgMag Test 2 (resized).jpg
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Barky_Dog:

I pulled the magnet off, and in testing it again- now I'm not I'm not seeing ANY resistance across it. So, I guess it's toast.

Anyone know of a good replacement magnet for Gorgar?

The goods news is a replacement is readily available.

20-9247 replaces the original magnet coil (22-675T)

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=20-9247

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

The goods news is a replacement is readily available.
20-9247 replaces the original magnet coil (22-675T)
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=20-9247

Awesome! Thank you!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-magnet-energizes-solonoids-fire-fuse-blows?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.