Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150629_211723.jpg
2015-06-27_17.41.45.jpg
20150611_184928.jpg
scanbesockets.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-06-18-48-57.png
20150606_183039.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeNewberry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago

I saw your post, but I didn't want to give you bad advice and make things worse. It's been awhile since I worked on a Williams System 3-7 board. I thought surely someone more capable would help you.

*edit* Nevermind, I see where you said you did reflow the solder on the connector pins. My fault for not reading closer.*/edit*

Replacing the rotten Scanbe sockets is usually a good idea. Some people say the pads and traces for them are too delicate, but I've never had a problem.

Even if the sockets and cold solder joints aren't the issue, it's good to eliminate them first before getting into the heavier troubleshooting with test ROMs and logic probes.

#7 8 years ago

If you can just pull ICs right out of the socket without much effort, then your socket is probably worn out. As to whether it's a Scanbe or not, the name is stamped on the socket body itself. They look like this:

scanbesockets.jpgscanbesockets.jpg

One reason they're notoriously failure prone is the weird way they grab the pin legs. Instead of gripping it across the flat edges of the pin, it grips the side of the pin.

The top three empty sockets on your MPU board don't seem to be Scanbe sockets, since they're open body sockets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeNewberry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-locked-up?tu=JoeNewberry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.