C9B03A5A-462F-4DAC-AC0E-98365A4D19EF (resized).jpeg
99BFE737-A55F-4380-B0DB-2BCC216CA870 (resized).jpeg
F3C5C561-FC83-434B-A24A-8768E793D13B (resized).jpeg
Solenoids (resized).png
s-l640 (resized).jpg
PopBumperSwitch (resized).png
GorgarSM (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Not on power up but on game up my top pop number locks on. The wire is off now any help would be great

#2 3 years ago

Check switch 38. White/blue wire and green/black wire.

GorgarSM (resized).pngGorgarSM (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

A photo might be helpful. You mentioned via PM the other bumpers have multiple white wires and the top bumper only has one.

#4 3 years ago

What am I checking in the switch 38?..

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from BRIANPG:

What am I checking in the switch 38?..

Checking to see if it’s stuck closed. It’s the switch that tells the pop bumper to activate.

#6 3 years ago

How do I do that. Thanks

#7 3 years ago

Look at the switch. It will look something like this one.

I feel like we might not be on the same page with the repair help. Can you remove the glass? Raise the playfield? Use a multi-meter?

PopBumperSwitch (resized).pngPopBumperSwitch (resized).png
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from BRIANPG:

Not on power up but on game up my top pop number locks on. The wire is off now any help would be great

Reconnect Coil and remove switch inputs at upper left driverboard connector.
Turn power on start a game check if coil still comes on
Yes? then there is a short on the driverboard.

s-l640 (resized).jpgs-l640 (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

Ok I did just that. And yes it still locked on

#10 3 years ago

I have the right readings coming from the switch
Also Replaced Q2 and the one above it more than once. Still locks on when game on. Not at power on

#11 3 years ago

If it locks on only once you've started a game, it has something to do with the pop bumper switch as PINTEC is alluding to. Bad transistors will lock the coil on when you turn the game on, so your transistors should be ok. Continue following PINTEC's advice and you'll be up and flipping soon!

#12 3 years ago

Add one of these to protect the board and coil.
Must have in my experience.

https://nvram.weebly.com/repair--conversion-kits.html

#13 3 years ago

I pulled the pins. Still locked on just don’t know were to check next

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from BRIANPG:

Ok I did just that. And yes it still locked on

Locks on after starting up game with disconnected special switch input:
Check Logic Signal IC 6 Pin 1 must be high.

#15 3 years ago

Are you saying it should be high? What should I be reading on this. Thanks

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from BRIANPG:

Are you saying it should be high? What should I be reading on this. Thanks

This is confirmed using a Logic probe High should be very close around 5V of using a volt meter.

#17 3 years ago

1.1 volts

#18 3 years ago

Looks like a fun, different enough version of Borg’s 3rd flipper Tron layout, which I thought was a must from John. I think another Borg fan would’ve gotten major flak from the community. I prefer the pro and premium art packages. The way the noses are drawn on the art packages is not my favorite animated style of the turtles; but overall it’s good with only the playfield a little underwhelming compared to Deadpool. Can’t wait to hear the sound package on Deadflip tonight. Hope it’s Jerry Thompson on sound, his sound effects are always stellar. Cowabunga to the TMNT fans, who should be psyched.

#19 3 years ago

Low reading changed ic6. Same reading

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from BRIANPG:

Low reading changed ic6. Same reading

PIA FALURE IC 10

Solenoids (resized).pngSolenoids (resized).png
#21 3 years ago

Thanks for the help. Lucky I have the old board from that game changed out ic 10 and it is working again. Thanks

5 months later
#22 3 years ago

Hi! I’m having the same issue at the moment.. maybe you can give me a hand.. if I do disconnect that top left molex for the switches my top bumper won’t lock on.. what would be my next step? The switch looks fine both contacts are open but still locking.. Thanks!

F3C5C561-FC83-434B-A24A-8768E793D13B (resized).jpegF3C5C561-FC83-434B-A24A-8768E793D13B (resized).jpeg
1 year later
#23 2 years ago

Same problem. Top left.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Yes? then there is a short on the driverboard. [quoted image]

Gonna try this today.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Same problem. Top left.

Left Jet Bumper is switch 37. Does your switch test show switch 37 is closed?
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_3_-_7#Testing_the_Switch_Matrix

#26 1 year ago

Thanks for the help. Cabinet Switch blown out, nice timing. Had to get that yesterday. Will report with the switch test soon.

99BFE737-A55F-4380-B0DB-2BCC216CA870 (resized).jpeg99BFE737-A55F-4380-B0DB-2BCC216CA870 (resized).jpeg
#27 1 year ago

Which 7408 chip is related to the 37 switch/Pop? Wondering.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

OK I did this and it doesn’t lock on on game start. What next.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

OK I did this and it doesn’t lock on on game start. What next.

Slide a business card or similar between the pop contacts and reconnect things - still OK?

In any case you have either a switch or wiring harness issue going by your results.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Slide a business card or similar between the pop contacts and reconnect things - still OK?
In any case you have either a switch or wiring harness issue going by your results.

Solenoid test fired good, switch test revealed 37 switch stuck. Snipped one leg off the Cap on the stack. Now everything is working perfectly. What’s the purpose of it anyway. I do feel like that Pop is a hair underpowered compared to the other two… thanks everyone! Solved!

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Solenoid test fired good, switch test revealed 37 switch stuck. Snipped one leg off the Cap on the stack. Now everything is working perfectly. What’s the purpose of it anyway. I do feel like that Pop is a hair underpowered compared to the other two… thanks everyone! Solved!

The cap and resistor give a known length pulse to fire the coil. Without them you get a weak pop, fires only as long as the switch leaves are closed instead of the intended minimum. Unsolved!

Time to replace them. Seems like the reason it locked on was the cap was shorted.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

The cap and resistor give a known length pulse to fire the coil. Without them you get a weak pop, fires only as long as the switch leaves are closed instead of the intended minimum. Unsolved!
Time to replace them. Seems like the reason it locked on was the cap was shorted.

Definitely will replace it. Thanks! 22uF looks like.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Definitely will replace it. Thanks! 22uF looks like.

22 uF 10v. I just ordered a bunch to redo my pops and slings.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from MisterScappy:

22 uF 10v. I just ordered a bunch to redo my pops and slings.

Nice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3498499426859515/

Any pin post welcome! ….

#35 1 year ago

Looks like 22uF 25v are more readily available in bulk on EBay compared to the 10v…ok replacement?

#36 1 year ago

Yep

#37 1 year ago

Just now have time to replace the bad cap. This doesn’t look original.

C9B03A5A-462F-4DAC-AC0E-98365A4D19EF (resized).jpegC9B03A5A-462F-4DAC-AC0E-98365A4D19EF (resized).jpeg
#38 1 year ago

Looks original to me. That is a type that was available when this machine was released but soon faded out as better ones became available.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Looks original to me. That is a type that was available when this machine was released but soon faded out as better ones became available.

Nice info.

10 months later
#40 1 year ago

I am having some similar problems with my GorGar. I have restored most of the machine, I did send the boards out to be done. When I first reconnected everything it looked like I just had some switch tweaking to do as all was working well. Then the top right pop bumper locked on game start, I followed some of the recommendations on this an another thread. I removed that top left plug on the driver board, the pop bumper still locks on game up, I checked the switch on the pop bumper it seems fine (I did take the capacitor out of the equation as well) but the bumper is still locked on. Since its locking on game up and not power up can it still be a transistor issue? And If so how can I test the transistors to find out which one is faulty.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from LangdonFan:

Since its locking on game up and not power up can it still be a transistor issue?

Not likely. Go into switch test and see if the switch is working there before you dig into further board work.

6 months later
#42 6 months ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Sorry to bump an old post yet again, although it already has been resurrected a few times including recently from people having this issue.

I took this step to diagnose and after unplugging this and trying to start a game instead of starting a game normally it made two loud beeps and then starts a game in a weird state, ball in play says ball 2, has some points on the display already, and starts making strange noises. The bumper also still gets stuck on. Plugged it back in, same thing now happens every time I try to start a game. I double and triple checked to make sure I unplugged the correct thing, and I did. When it's unplugged the other bumpers don't work implying I did indeed unplug those switches, it just made all this other stuff happen too.

What could have happened here? I don't even know where to start.

Thanks!

#43 6 months ago

Try these free test roms:

https://pincoder.ca

To get you running diagnostics right away you can buy this adapter as it comes preloaded with tests for all Williams system 3 through 7 games:

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2020/07/10/adapter-2020-06-23-0506/

You can download the software and documentation from the top menu and read how to use it.

The board and included ROMs will help you diagnose everything, including faulty RAM and CMOS chips.

It was also designed and tested using a Gorgar

Craig

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-locked-pop-bumpers?hl=pintec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.