(Topic ID: 78573)

Gorgar Issues

By tb0ne

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I picked up a non-working Gorgar for cheap money at a garage sale. Playfield wear, backglass flaking etc. I did some minor board work and got it working, cleaned it up and it actually played real well.

The game then stopped going into attract mode - GI only, doesn't seem to be booting. The MPU is getting power, but 2 solid LEDs, no flashing. I tried reseating ROMs and the 40-pin connector without success. The game has always been flakey so I'm guessing the 40-pin needs to be rebuilt at least. It also has scanbe sockets.

I'm not looking for this game to be a collectors piece, but I want to keep it as a players game. Does it make more sense to just buy a new Rottendog board for 300 bucks, or should I buy 20 bucks in parts and attempt the repairs myself and wait for the next problem to arise? I'm tempted to just go Rottendog and be done with it, but I'm not sure putting 300 bucks into a beat game makes a lot of sense.

#2 10 years ago

Get some kohout boards from Jeff. Awesome product!

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Razor:

Get some kohout boards from Jeff. Awesome product!

Is there an advantage to these over Rottendog for the extra 100 bucks?

#4 10 years ago

I have Rottendog and it rocks flawlessly for me with Gorgar. Best of luck. Really fun game and a solid Williams feel to it.

#5 10 years ago

I have the kohout boards from www.pinballpcb.com, and have had zero problems with them. They were the only thing available until rottendog came out with their version. Rottendog makes good stuff also, so either one is a good choice. I will say that I do like that the kohout boards use a thicker PCB board.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from tb0ne:

Is there an advantage to these over Rottendog for the extra 100 bucks?

The Rottendog have ALL the games already installed.

You don't have to swap the ROM chips from the old board.

This is great when you have a different game to troubleshoot, just move the board and see if it comes up.

The Rottendog also includes the driver board too - all on one board.

No shitty 40 pin connector to mess with ever again.

All new transistors that are much heavier duty than orig Williams.

#7 10 years ago

What you describe is the same problem I had with mine. Reseating the 40 pin connector solved my problems though and it sounds like you've already tried that.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks all - sounds like Rottendog is the best route.

1 week later
#9 10 years ago

I spent a lot of time working on the connectors for Gorgar and eventually bought the Rottendog board for around$300 from BigDaddy Enterprises. They were both very supportive when I had some issues and solved most of my problems. I no longer spend time trying to fix Gorgar, but play the game instead. Well worth it to me. Good luck!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.