• Latest reply 8 years ago by mwsmith
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SpkFrontCutawayView.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hello, I have a nice Gorgar machine. Everything is working, all sounds etc. but the heartbeat sound is wrong. It works, but sounds very electronic instead of like a thumping heart... as I've heard on machines with it working properly. A "distorted electronic" sound is the best way I can describe it. Something must be failing somewhere. The speaker is totally fine and all other sounds sound perfect. Is there any obvious/easy thing to check? I found someone else online who had the exact same problem and he changed the speaker, changed out the caps, and reflowed the connectors, and he said it didn't make a difference.

Thanks for any help!

#2 11 years ago

Reseat the connectors on the sound board. Test. Reseat the ROMs on the sound board. Test. Run the diagnostic test and make sure all sounds are present. If any are missing repair and retest. Depending upon if/when you get the sound back you'll need to address either connectors, ROMs, ROM sockets or solenoid(s) or some combination of the above.

viperrwk

2 years later
#3 8 years ago

Had the same problem, did some searching and found a post by Todd Scott where he also had this problem and corrected it by replacing the 6821 PIA at IC10 on the sound board. I replace that PIA and boom, heartbeat back to normal.
Oddly enough the first replacement PIA I tried was labeled "no good?" and gave me the exact same distorted heartbeat as the original.

#4 8 years ago

Don't rule out the speaker yet. I worked on a Gorgar that had a similar symptom. All sounds seemed ok except the "thump-thump" had a buzzy sound to it. One of the lead wires was broken and barely making contact. Can't remember if it was at the cone or at the terminal. They can be re-soldered if there is enough extra length.

SpkFrontCutawayView.jpgSpkFrontCutawayView.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-heartbeat-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.