Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.48.42 AM (resized).png
    unnamed (resized).jpg
    E8EED3EC-C0EF-4AF7-9D42-9F4A5C8531EB (resized).jpeg
    BC225823-9557-4B31-9EB3-18245A1344F2 (resized).jpeg
    E6086402-045B-49AC-81B1-5A092004E841 (resized).jpeg
    733176A7-12E4-4A48-888D-F52B50D3B18F (resized).jpeg
    C8F999F9-896D-43CB-A083-135078AE6B08 (resized).jpeg
    6CA79CB0-CE04-47F1-BB50-DAF05799AB5D (resized).jpeg
    B2B8FFFE-2176-4B6A-8526-B0415421A83B (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

Hi group, thank you in advance for your help. I bought a Gorgar which I knew before I bought it that it did not work. I sent all three circuit boards to Tim at Nabours Novelty for repair. He replaced a lot of the capacitors, resistors, the male pins on the MPU and the female receptical on the driver board and a few other minor things. I get the boards back and the game started fine but had no sound or speech. I ended up sending him the sound & speech boards and he found several things wrong with them. I got them back and when I put them in, it has sound but no speech??? Some of the sounds are not correct but the typical Gorgar heartbeat works fine. I sent the boards back to him thinking he programmed something wrong. He installed them in a compatible game and all was good. He sent the sound & speech boards back to me along with a new game rom for my mpu. I installed the new game rom along with the sound & speech boards, turned game on, it still has that incorrect sounds and still no speech ? I took out the sound and speech boards and drove them to a friends arcade, Steve at RockFantasy (thanks Steve) and put them in his Gorgar and the sounds and speech work perfectly. I am stumped and so is Tim from Nabours Novelty. Does anyone have any suggestions?? PS, I checked all the connections on the boards and do not see anything I did wrong. I will post pictures. Thank you again in advance for any suggestions.

#2 5 years ago
    6CA79CB0-CE04-47F1-BB50-DAF05799AB5D (resized).jpeg6CA79CB0-CE04-47F1-BB50-DAF05799AB5D (resized).jpeg733176A7-12E4-4A48-888D-F52B50D3B18F (resized).jpeg733176A7-12E4-4A48-888D-F52B50D3B18F (resized).jpegB2B8FFFE-2176-4B6A-8526-B0415421A83B (resized).jpegB2B8FFFE-2176-4B6A-8526-B0415421A83B (resized).jpegBC225823-9557-4B31-9EB3-18245A1344F2 (resized).jpegBC225823-9557-4B31-9EB3-18245A1344F2 (resized).jpegC8F999F9-896D-43CB-A083-135078AE6B08 (resized).jpegC8F999F9-896D-43CB-A083-135078AE6B08 (resized).jpegE6086402-045B-49AC-81B1-5A092004E841 (resized).jpegE6086402-045B-49AC-81B1-5A092004E841 (resized).jpegE8EED3EC-C0EF-4AF7-9D42-9F4A5C8531EB (resized).jpegE8EED3EC-C0EF-4AF7-9D42-9F4A5C8531EB (resized).jpeg
    #3 5 years ago

Check if all give sounds fire in sound test. You're probably missing one signal line.

#4 5 years ago

Howdy zacaj, I forgot to mention everything works perfect when I press the sound test. Anything else I can try?

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCharlieNY:

Howdy zacaj, I forgot to mention everything works perfect when I press the sound test. Anything else I can try?

Sorry, not sound test, I misspoke. Coil test 9-13 iirc should all make sound

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Sorry, not sound test, I misspoke. Coil test 9-13 iirc should all make sound

May I ask how I would test that? Thanks

#7 5 years ago

May I ask how I would test that? Thanks

It's the third test I think... Put the coin door switch to manual down and hit advance until the coils start firing, it'll show the coil number. There should be better directions in the manual.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

It's the third test I think... Put the coin door switch to manual down and hit advance until the coils start firing, it'll show the coil number. There should be better directions in the manual.

Ok thank you, I will try it. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

#9 5 years ago

So I went through the sound speech test by putting the switch to manual on the coin door and it has no speech and some sounds that are and some sounds that are not from Gorgar. Any others suggestions folks??

#10 5 years ago

Did you swap the sound and speech boards into Steve's Gorgar as a set?

It looks to me like DS1 switches on the sound board are backwards. Switch 2 is on the top and should be ON and to the LEFT, Switch 1 is on the bottom and should be OFF and to the RIGHT.

It also looks like somebody may have removed the W1 jumper (between 10J3 and R11) recently as it is only used in games without the speech board. No jumper is correct for what you want, it just means this is probably not the original sound board

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
    #11 5 years ago

Howdy boscokid, I swapped both my sound and speech boards into Steve’s Gorgar and everything worked great so I can rule out no problem with those boards.

#12 5 years ago

Unless its an optical illusion in the photo those dip switches are not set correctly for speech.

Maybe they were accidentally moved after it was tested in the other game? Will only take 2 mins to double check, based on coloration it even looks like switch 2 spent most of its life in the other position.

#13 5 years ago

So I went through the sound speech test by putting the switch to manual on the coin door and it has no speech and some sounds that are and some sounds that are not from Gorgar. Any others suggestions folks??

But did 9-13 all make distinct sounds?

#14 5 years ago

Howdy zacaj, sounds of the sounds are Gorgar and some are not. No speech at all!

#15 5 years ago

Howdy zacaj, sounds of the sounds are Gorgar and some are not. No speech at all!

But are there different sounds for each one? There are more sounds on the gorgar chip than just what is used in gorgar, it was used in other games, so that you can get other sounds in the test isn't necessarily wrong

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Unless its an optical illusion in the photo those dip switches are not set correctly for speech.
    Maybe they were accidentally moved after it was tested in the other game? Will only take 2 mins to double check, based on coloration it even looks like switch 2 spent most of its life in the other position.

I reversed the dip switches as you suggested and it has new sounds coming out of it like from an old Atari video game

#17 5 years ago

If the board worked fine in the other machines, then I think the board is fine. Assuming it's fine, I would be looking at the connector 10J3 on the soundboard (the 9-pin). According to the schematics, that's the only connector that deals with sound/speech of any kind.

I'd take the connector off and inspect it for connectivity. Can you see the wires in the connector? Are they securely in the connector? Does it look like they are making contact with the pins when fastened to the soundboard? If not, that's the issue.

If they are fine, I'd check the same thing on the other end of those wires.

IMO, all you have is a communication issue. Communication = bad wires or bad connection (in my experience).

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.48.42 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.48.42 AM (resized).png
    #18 5 years ago

MEuRaH, YOU THE MAN!!!! Thank you very much. I pushed in on all those wires and traced them back and pushed them all in and Gorgar started to speak and all the normal sounds came back!!! I am so thrilled thank you!! I also want to thank zacaj and boscokid for trying to help me as well..

#19 5 years ago

MEuRaH, YOU THE MAN!!!! Thank you very much. I pushed in on all those wires and traced them back and pushed them all in and Gorgar started to speak and all the normal sounds came back!!! I am so thrilled thank you!! I also want to thank zacaj and boscokid for trying to help me as well..

Awesome job! Most repairs are simple, just like this.

Enjoy.

1 month later
    #20 5 years ago

A little guidance please.... We have a working gorgar machine... HOWEVER it will not stay working if we close the coin door. ???????? To keep it playing and staying booted up...It will crash.....If the coin door. it not open ....WtHeck
    Any help or thoughts please. THX> Victoria.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

Any help or thoughts please.

Coin door shorting to anything inside when closed ?

Coin door harness wires shorting to anything or inside harness where you can't see it ?

LTG : )

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

A little guidance please.... We have a working gorgar machine... HOWEVER it will not stay working if we close the coin door. ???????? To keep it playing and staying booted up...It will crash.....If the coin door. it not open ....WtHeck
    Any help or thoughts please. THX> Victoria.

Try unplugging 1J4 and see if it stops happening

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-has-sound-but-no-speech-any-suggestions-help-needed-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.