Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Chalkey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180728_193455 (resized).jpg
20180728_195732 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Need help troubleshooting my Gorgar "Gar" Drop Targets. I do not get a reset at the start of game, ball, or when all targets are down.

On Solenoid Test, no fire on 03.

On the switch test, "G" drops and 41 appears. Same with "A"= 42 and "R" = 43, but no immediate change to 44.

What is the likely culprit and where should I start. Already replaced the horseshoe contacts. Thanks.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from rickyray:

Already replaced the horseshoe contacts.

Continuity of wires from horseshoe to board. See if you have a break.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

rickyray If the solenoid isn't firing in test you'd need to figure that out before working on the switches. If it's not something obvious like a loose wire I'd suspect the transistor on the driver board, or possibly a cold solder or connector issue. Do you know how to test the transistors with a multimeter?

#4 1 year ago

chalkey Just getting into the troubleshooting, so no I don't know how to test the transistors in particular. But willing to research or accept some instruction from someone like you. Thanks.

#5 1 year ago

I'm at pinburgh or I'd do something more detailed but try the "how to test a transistor" thread on this site. Basically set your dmm yo ohms and compare values between your 3 transistor legs to those on the working transistors on the board. There may be an unused but good transistor you can steal from the board.

#6 1 year ago

Take a wire lead, figure out which transistor fires that coil, touch the wire to the metal part of the transistor and the other end of the wire to ground. If the coil fires, your wiring is fine, if it doesn't start metering for continuity. That's where I would start. It will at least narrow down where to start looking.

#7 1 year ago

Thanks for all the input. I am learning a lot.

Update: We ran a wire lead from the Q19 transistor to ground and no fire. Just to verify we were doing it correctly, we ran the lead wire from Q21, the "GOR" transistor, and indeed the coil did fire.

Then we checked for wire continuity from the "GAR" coil to the driver board and we do have continuity.

But going back before the post, I had replaced the "GAR" coil because it looked fried (see attached photo). Now looking at the Q19 transistor area, there is also an area that looks burnt (see attached photo). I assume this is all a part of the issue.

Any thoughts on the next step or should I have an experienced service technician make the repair?

20180728_193455 (resized).jpg20180728_195732 (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago

Man, you really should have included that little nugget of info in your original post. I'd pass this one off to a tech unless you're good with board work and a soldering iron.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 9,000.00
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside