Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by StratDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gregh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi all,

I have a gorgar issue that i'm starting to pull my hair out over.

Randomly, it seems when the machine is warmed up, when I hit the snake pit, the machine locks up on me. It's only when I hit the snake pit though, and doesn't happen every time. So far I have done all the major things ie, ROM sockets and the 6800 sockets have been replaced, the 40 pin interconnect has been replaced, re-flowed all the headers, and I rebuilt the power supply with all new caps, and I replaced the diodes on the magnet/relay.

My next step is to order a new rom set and see if that fixes things. Unfortunately I don't have a logic probe to see what has failed so I am kinda shooting in the dark. Has anyone seen this before and do you have a suggestion?

TIA Greg

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Majdi:

I wouldn't replace the ROMs just yet.
Check the switch involved, and the diodes on them.
Also check your +5V MPU test point (measure DC, then AC volts here) -- it's possible you're seeing the power drop long enough to cause reset to be brought high and hang the MPU.

The only switch that sets it off is the snake pit. I've replaced the diode on that already. Do you mean check the voltage when it locks up?

Quoted from terryb:

Good suggestions by Majdi.

Please describe what locks up means just to be sure we're all on the same page. Does the game freeze in it's current state and you have to power cycle it to fix the problem?

When I say lock up, it stops gameplay, and will cycle the pf lights. You have to power cycle the game to play another game.

1 week later
#7 6 years ago

So I want to update this thread. I haven't had much time to work on pins lately, but I finally got to gorgar. I removed the magnet fuse, and it seems to have stopped freezing. At least we haven't been able to fail it all day, and we have been hammering it. I already put a new diode on the magnet coil, so that leaves the coil, and magnet itself. I'm going to order a coil and see how that goes first, as it appears magnets are unobtainable. At least it's playable now.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Can you clarify this a little more? When you say cycle the PF lights, do you mean attract mode? What do the score displays do? What are the inserts doing?
I'm betting the power draw from the magnet is dropping voltage and putting the CPU in a strange state. Normally, this would result in a complete reset of the game (like a power cycle) but possibly your power reset circuit on the CPU (Q1-Q9 area) may not be working properly.
If the magnet coil was bad, wouldn't it blow the fuse when activated? The Magnet is supposed to have an 8A fuse. Make sure the proper fuse is installed and someone didn't install a larger one for stop it from blowing. If it is an 8A and it blows when activated, the magnet coil could be your problem.
Do you have board mounting screws installed and snugged down on each and every board?

I'm not sure exactly how to explain it. It doesn't go into attract mode, it will just sweep the pf lights bottom to top and everything else is locked. The displays freeze where the are. I removed the magnet fuse for now and it stops, which leads me to believe the magnet coil is the culprit. For now at least, I can play the game, and the switch still registers the snake pit hit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gregh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-freezes?tu=gregh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.