(Topic ID: 267857)

Gorgar Display issue

By mfishell

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

msds (resized).jpg
    fa5e21957eac76a0d3f79f4db4846fec247cc9f3 (resized).jpg
    display (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200504_003057 (resized).jpg
    407790AB-BD9A-41E8-9431-265F80AE57A9 (resized).JPG
    #1 3 years ago

Working on Gorgar and the displays have issues. Sometimes it's a digit is missing or the bottom line on the display is missing. May flicker in and out somtimes.

I've done basic checks of connections buy not too deep yet. I've swapped displays and problem stays so it's either the main board or the wires. System has a RottenDog MPU so... I've attached photos but they display was being shy and didn't photograph too well.

Ideas of where to start looking?
    407790AB-BD9A-41E8-9431-265F80AE57A9 (resized).JPG407790AB-BD9A-41E8-9431-265F80AE57A9 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

More than likely the large connector from driver to PCB.

Try carefully disconnecting the two boards clean the pins and plug them back.

And double check your display connectors and that all pins are good.

Had this issue in my gorgar. With displays and a couple other wierd lamp/switch issues.
    Screenshot_20200504_003057 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200504_003057 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

More than likely the large connector from driver to PCB.
    Try carefully disconnecting the two boards clean the pins and plug them back.
    And double check your display connectors and that all pins are good.
    Had this issue in my gorgar. With displays and a couple other wierd lamp/switch issues.
    [quoted image]

The machine has a Rotten Dog MPU board, not the original board.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from mfishell:

Working on Gorgar and the displays have issues. Sometimes it's a digit is missing or the bottom line on the display is missing. May flicker in and out somtimes.
    I've done basic checks of connections buy not too deep yet. I've swapped displays and problem stays so it's either the main board or the wires. System has a RottenDog MPU so... I've attached photos but they display was being shy and didn't photograph too well.
    Ideas of where to start looking?
    [quoted image]

I cleaned the contacts on the master display board and it's looking better. The third digit is missing on display 1 & 3.

Here is a better picture of the display.

display (resized).jpgdisplay (resized).jpg
    #5 3 years ago

Sounds like you need to start with repinning the edge connectors at the displays. Start with the left connector on the master display board, then work your way to the player displays that are acting up. Best to repin them all, on each end of the cables. Seems the pins are losing their tension against the board contacts.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from mfishell:

I cleaned the contacts on the master display board and it's looking better. The third digit is missing on display 1 & 3.
    Here is a better picture of the display.[quoted image]

Test the PL1 and PL3 Displays:
    Unplug PL1 to check for missing digit to return on PL3 then do the same for PL3 plugging PL1 back in leaving PL3 disconnected to check if missing digit returns to PL1
    NO?
    next:
    Move PL1 and then PL3 to player 2 socket to confirm they work 100%

fa5e21957eac76a0d3f79f4db4846fec247cc9f3 (resized).jpgfa5e21957eac76a0d3f79f4db4846fec247cc9f3 (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago

Moved the cable from player 2 display to player 1 and player 3 displays. All displays test good. It's either the cable or the masterboard. time to check the cables and connectors on the masterboard.

#8 3 years ago

So after further troubleshooting, I've found that moving the edge connector on the right side of the board seems to be where the issues are.

Recommendations for correcting this? re-pin connector? clean card edge where connector connects?

msds (resized).jpgmsds (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds like you need to start with repinning the edge connectors at the displays. Start with the left connector on the master display board, then work your way to the player displays that are acting up. Best to repin them all, on each end of the cables. Seems the pins are losing their tension against the board contacts.

Repin all the connectors. Usually when you start having trouble with one, others will follow.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-display-issue-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.