Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2J57PIN (resized).jpg
gor1 (resized).jpg
gor234 (resized).jpg
column4b (resized).jpg
column4a (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Thanks for helping with my fuse problem on Gorgar. Now that its working again, I have one more issue that I would like to fix. There is a column of lights that do not work, column 4. It consists of the four target arrows and target lights on the right and left side of the play field. I've attached two pictures for reference. I checked the bulbs that are in there and they work fine when I try in a different socket. As with before, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

column4a (resized).jpgcolumn4a (resized).jpg

column4b (resized).jpgcolumn4b (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Set your meter to 20VDC. Connect black lead to ground and probe J5 pin 6,7 and 8. Does pin 7 match the other two?

Turn game off, disconnect J5, turn game back on make the same probes as before. Does pin 7 match the other two?

1 week later
#3 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Set your meter to 20VDC. Connect black lead to ground and probe J5 pin 6,7 and 8. Does pin 7 match the other two?
Turn game off, disconnect J5, turn game back on make the same probes as before. Does pin 7 match the other two?

Cody,
I had to wait until the weekend to get back to this. I did what you said and here are the results:

With 2J5 connected :
Pin 6 : 3.1
Pin 7 : 0.9
Pin 8 : 3.1

With 2J5 disconnected:
Pin 6 : 5.4
Pin 7 : 5.8
Pin 8 : 6.1

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance

#4 7 years ago

So with J5 disconnected, 7 is comparable to 6 and 8, suggesting the board is working.

To confirm this, leave the connector disconnected and run a jumper from the connector housing pin 6 or 8 to header pin 7. Do the lamps associated with the other column lite when connected to header 7?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

So with J5 disconnected, 7 is comparable to 6 and 8, suggesting the board is working.
To confirm this, leave the connector disconnected and run a jumper from the connector housing pin 6 or 8 to header pin 7. Do the lamps associated with the other column lite when connected to header 7?

Cody, thank you! I used the 7 pin and connected it to 6, then 8. It ran both banks of lights! For some reason I figured I should try and run it back to 7 and incredibly the column 4 lights started up! It's something in the connector, which makes sense since I have had problems with everything that sits right below the corroded batter casing. After a little tweaking the connector is working but its going to have to be replaced soon. Now I have every light working on the board except the left jet bumper light. I've put in known working bulbs in it and it just won't light up. Any suggestions on this? How do I check below the board with the multimeter on this one light? Thanks again for your help, I've attached pictures of what I just did (the one below shows when 7 was attached to 7) and the working lights. Crazy.

gor234 (resized).jpggor234 (resized).jpg

gor1 (resized).jpggor1 (resized).jpg

2J57PIN (resized).jpg2J57PIN (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from njpinballfan:

It's something in the connector, which makes sense since I have had problems with everything that sits right below the corroded batter casing.

Can you provide photos of the circuit board below the batteries? Have you neutralized the alkaline damage?

On the connector, spray it with some DeOXIT and then install/remove the connector a few times. You can also use an eraser if needed to remove any corrosion.

#7 7 years ago

You are quite welcome.

The first three things to repair on vintage pins are connectors, connectors, and connectors.

#8 7 years ago

Hey at least you have real molex connectors instead of those damn idc connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-column-4-lights-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.