• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

631EEAF3-B76C-490E-81F4-2747AA398D62 (resized).jpeg
4B4CC7F0-A950-48A1-AA14-76BEC0DA2550 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Hoping for some help. My Gorgar was working fine and went on the fritz. When you turn it on either game boots with an “8” in the top left and “4” in the lower display OR an “8” and a blinking “6” one space away from it in the upper left and the “4” in the lower display OR alternating zeros in the main displays and a zero in the lower one as well. Eventually, the “6” goes away. My best guess was that it was booting in audit mode but I cannot get it to go into attract mode let alone start a game. When I press the self test button on the MPU, the leds flash twice so I think the MPU is okay? Anyway, regardless of the coin door position, the result is the same. The flippers work as well when the buttons are pressed and then game makes a “hit target” sound when it is first turned on. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!

4B4CC7F0-A950-48A1-AA14-76BEC0DA2550 (resized).jpeg4B4CC7F0-A950-48A1-AA14-76BEC0DA2550 (resized).jpeg

631EEAF3-B76C-490E-81F4-2747AA398D62 (resized).jpeg631EEAF3-B76C-490E-81F4-2747AA398D62 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

When you go through the adjustment menu completely, does it then boot to attract mode? Or just go back to the start of the audits menu?

#3 6 years ago

You could have battery holder problems or the 5101 ram chip has died from old age.

#4 6 years ago

Guessing it might be the 5101. When it comes up with the zeroes in the display, it appears to be some sort of display test as you can cycle through the digits 0-9 either automatically or in increments. While I was doing this, I smelled and saw a little bit of smoke but couldn’t detect where it originated. The original 27 ohm resistors seem to be super hot. It still boots in audit mode and while it appears to be cylcing through the audits menu, you can’t really tell and you can’t get out of the menu. Now when you press the diagnostic button, the leds blink once, come back on and stay on which seems to indicate the 5101.

#5 6 years ago

Random numbers aren't audit mode, it's not booting properly. Have the sockets been replaced?

#6 6 years ago

any chance you have another driver board to try?

i have seen naughty AMI PIAs on the driver board, specifically the lamp pia (middle one) crap on the data bits when it should not be and cause the 0_0_0_ displays more than once.

#7 6 years ago

I don’t have a “confirmed good” driver board to try. May just buy one to see. It seems that when you get the symptoms I’m getting, there’s something amiss with the driver board. The MPU seems to have som of the sockets replaced. I haven’t separated the boards either so it may just be that damn molex connector. Last time I had them apart, I reflowed the joints.

Okay, I’ve now tried a good driver board. Wiped the 40 pin contacts with isopropyl and installed it. The machine does the same thing only it now says “Gorgar” when you turn it on. Not sure what to do next but it would appear that the issue is in the MPU. Does anyone have a good recommendation for someone to rebuild system 6 boards?

1 week later
#8 6 years ago

Problem Resolved! Issue was that the coin door switch was malfunctioning. I haven’t replaced it yet but am pretty sure that it is the culprit. Swapping the 5101 didn’t do anything. I noticed that the switch didn’t feel right when I was checking it so after jiggling it, the game booted and went into attract mode. Thanks to all who tried to help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-boots-in-audit-mode-and-it%e2%80%99s-not-battery-related and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.