PXL_20230921_145607720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tedwasright.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1621 1 year ago

Picked it up today. Gonna have some questions. Hope you can help. Such a great game.

20221112_210424 (resized).jpg20221112_210424 (resized).jpg
#1623 1 year ago

Hey, noob question. What are the two stars just above the flippers for? 2x 3x * *

I know 2x, 3x. But what are the stars telling me?

#1626 1 year ago

I'm hanging out by myself, unmolested by wife and kids (4) switching back and forth between Gorgar and Godzilla, while listening to Slayer too loud. I could swear Dave Lombardo's kick drum keeps syncopation with Gogar's heartbeat. Fuckin love pinball.

20221116_203552 (resized).jpg20221116_203552 (resized).jpg
#1627 1 year ago

Hey there. This started happening last night. The score for player 3 and 4 started getting wonky. Any chance there's a Fonzie solution?

20221117_204820 (resized).jpg20221117_204820 (resized).jpg
#1629 1 year ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Unplug 3 or 4 and see if the other comes back. Then swap cables between 2+3 and see if it follows. If it does the master display board needs work. if not, you need new slave displays.

Thank you. Will try that this weekend.

#1633 1 year ago
Quoted from tullster:

Here’s my Gorgar. Helped my operator friend buy it from the Tilt Arcade in the Westgate mall in Madison Wi back in the mid-80’s for maybe about $400. We routed him for maybe 10 years until I took ownership. He’s put in a lot of miles and still plays great.
I got bored with the play and decided to make him mean some time ago, and found it’s much more frustratingly fun to play. I thought the flipper gap was too close, so installed Lightning flippers. Moved the posts between the 1-4 targets forward a little and occasionally set it difficult (so you have to complete 1-4 in order to light the pit). For a tournament, a reverse flipper switch I call the Ragrog switch was installed.
The original boards worked well, but a Rottendog combo board was installed for reliability. Sunlight frosted leds everywhere except up top where there’s flame leds in the rollover and pit area. A few sunlight strips in dark areas.
Total keeper game that brings back great memories!
[quoted image][quoted image]

That reverse flipper switch is cool. Was it easy to do?

#1634 1 year ago

Hahaha! Just took the high score down!

20221124_165234 (resized).jpg20221124_165234 (resized).jpg
#1637 1 year ago

Hey everyone. I have a decent bounce when the ball reaches the flipper. Makes hitting the spinner almost impossible unless I'm cradling the ball. I bought Cliffys but it didn't seem to help much. Maybe I installed them wrong? They go right on top of the older rails, right?

Also, is this an issue everyone just deals with or can it be resolved? TIA

#1642 1 year ago
Quoted from dscapo:

Hey I was having the same hop issue. I drilled the posts out of the old ones and reused the posts with the Cliffy’s. It makes them adjustable enough to correct the problem.

I used the old rails and posts. Just put the cliffys on top. But that didn't work. That's why I wasn't sure. Maybe I did it wrong.

1 week later
#1648 1 year ago
Quoted from tullster:

Here’s a picture of my return lane guide and how far I had to move it to get rid of the hop. I did both sides when I installed new flipper bats and silicone flipper bands.
It was totally worth it and really makes a difference. You can’t see it unless you’re looking for it. I’ll hopefully touch it up one of these days.
[quoted image]

Did you leave the first hole alone? Shift the 2nd a little, and the 3rd (closest to the flipper) the most?

#1650 1 year ago
Quoted from tullster:

I put toothpicks in the old holes and shifted the whole rail up. Tested before screwing it back down. It’s buttery smooth now.
[quoted image]

So it looks like you filled the old holes and moved the whole line up, maybe 1/8". Did the holes overlap, or cause issues cause they were too close?

1 week later
#1655 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Picked up a Gorgar that has been sitting in a storage unit for the last 20 years. An operator must of used it for parts as a bunch of stuff is missing. Logic would say to part it out since it's missing all the boards except the power supply, displays, apron, sling assemblies and other PF parts. I'm going to fix it, the PF is pretty nice with minimal missing ink and the BG is decent enough. The world needs more Gorgar's.
One issue that concerns me is someone cut the wires and removed the fuse holder under the power supply. A friend has a spare fuse holder but my concern is which wires go where since they are mostly the same colors. If anyone can help out which transformer wires go where and the yellow ones off the loom, I would appreciate it.
Already located most of the PF parts, still need an apron. A pinsider has all the boards I need fully upgraded and tested and I'll just install a set of LED displays.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

"The world needs more Gorgars." I just got mine about a month ago. I'm still learning and, forgive me, I'm afraid to open anything.

#1657 1 year ago
Quoted from Firebird71:

I just joined the club this week as well. It has been gone through electronics wise although I think I will probably get some NMP drop target kits at the first sign of the horseshoes acting up.
Only had one issue so far which made me think I would be rebuilding drop targets the first week. Turned out to be crappy old drop target stickers had peeled off partially and were getting jammed each time a drop went down. Does anyone else feel this machine would have been more fitting with the drop target decals either being little demon pictures instead of the good guy? Or G,O,R and G,A,R stickers?
Cosmetically the only weak point is the of itself. Someone mylared it but didn't clean up the yellow flames very well and it kind of bothers me. If the wife ends up digging this one longer term maybe I will look into a repro pf.
Other upgrade I'm considering making myself is some plasma pop bumper caps since nobody else makes them anymore. Again I feel some red plasma caps would fit this machine especially with those top right plastics compared to white good guy caps.

I have been toying with the idea of having custom stickers me of a closeup of gorgars face from the playfield. I think it would look cool.

3 weeks later
#1662 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I'm going to work on a 3D printed solution today that will be unnoticable and hopefully still work. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in a playfield.

I'm interested in what you come up with.

#1663 1 year ago

Can someone tell me (maybe a link) what bulbs to replace with? I remember reading it but I'm hoping someone can tell me.

I know they come with a standard but we are recommended using a different..

#1666 1 year ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Which? The standard playfield bulbs?
If so, you want #44/#47 "bayonet-style" bulbs. You can buy them from any pinball parts supplier. The original game used incandescent lights, but lots of people will replace them with LED bulbs for brightness, color options, etc. (think old-style filament bulbs, like you had in your house, vs. new LEDs that last longer).
If you go the LED route, I'd recommend warm white 1SMD bulbs from Comet Pinball. That's the "non-ghosting" version (sometimes LEDs will be kind of barely lit, "ghosting," when they're not supposed to be on). Non-ghosting bulbs are a bit pricier, but it's not a huge difference; for any controlled lamp (something that is sometimes on/sometimes off), you're best going with a non-ghosting bulb.
Some folks will have a purist view on using LEDs, and will insist that incandescents are the only way to go...or that you need the fancy Yopsicle LEDs instead. Personally, I think LEDs are absolutely the way to go, but everyone's perception is different.
Try some different looks to figure out what you like best. Comet actually sells a mix of their different types of bulbs, so you can try them out.
The only difference on Gorgar that I can think of is the flashing lamps up top by the A B C rollover lanes. Those are #89 bulbs. You can get LED version of them from Comet, too.
Hope a) that was what you were asking, and b) that the response helped!

Thank you very much. I'm going to look more I to it. Very helpful.

1 month later
#1686 1 year ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

They come with the cpr plastic set

Do they help minimize bumping the ball?

#1688 1 year ago
Quoted from Moeman65:

No. When the playfield was drilled to mount the out lane and flipper assembly the outl lane sets just below the flipper and adding to that is the thickness of the band, at least that is the condition on my game.

I bought Cliffy's and they didn't fix the isssue either. I have just decided to play it as is. Don't know what else I could do.

2 months later
#1695 11 months ago

Haha. Just got a new high score, baby!!

20230507_093011 (resized).jpg20230507_093011 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1708 9 months ago

Can anyone suggest bulbs? Are there kits or should I just buy a bunch and replace as necessary? Pinball Life or Marco?

Appreciate your time.

#1710 9 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I used warm whites made by Ghostbusters. You can buy them at Pinball Life. A lot of people use Comets too

Thanks. Is there a specific Suze to look for?

#1715 9 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

LED #44/#47 Bayonet Base Lamp With Frosted Dome

Thank you

#1718 9 months ago

Is there anything I need to do if I want to go the LED route? Or can I just buy the LEDs and replace the bulbs with those?

#1719 9 months ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

HEP is restoring a Gorgar, if you don't follow his thread here is the link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/255#post-7671422
He is also posting progress on youtube:
As my Gorgar is a real beater, very interested in seeing Chris turn this into better (way better) than factory.

Thanks for this. It's great.

#1721 9 months ago
Quoted from ParkRangerPinball:

Curious to see what Chris does with the playfield. Any guesses?
I've been debating between a micro, a hard top, or sending it to kruzman ( does he do insert replacement, too?)
What have you guys done to upgrade your PFs?

I don't know about any of the options. Mine is bumpy for sure. I laugh sometimes when I watch the ball slow-roll in a not-so-straight line.

#1725 9 months ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Is anyone else getting 3000 bonus advance from the top “B” lane? The playfield says 1000 but mine is scoring 3000 per switch hit up there. I have a rotten dog mpu. Maybe there is a setting somewhere for this.

Wow. I thought I was the only one. Yes, yes, yes.

#1731 9 months ago

Good news. So I guess it would be considered a Skill Shot. Anyone ever notice others?

#1733 9 months ago

Does everyone have bounce problems at the flippers or is it just some machines? I bought the things from Cliffys but it didn't change much. Actually it changes for a day or so then reverts back.

I'm just wondering if this was an issue when it came out or is it just now we are having issues because maybe there's a difference in thickness of the bands from old to now.

I was wondering if the precision flippers would change it. But I don't want to change it if it's something that is normal for the game.

2 weeks later
#1736 8 months ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

You guys do know there was a song "Gorgar" right? Here is my red as hell blood bath Gorgar video with the song Gorgar. $100 Craigslist grab a few years back. All LED's from Comet, Through led strip, lighted flipper and start buttons, and I found an NOS backglass for it I installed after I made this video. I'm going to install the NMP drop target upgrade next. Awesome game!

Nice job. I like the red. I'm converting to LEDs in the next week, new rubbers, etc. Looking forward to doing it. I keep thinking about making new drop target stickers that are black with the Gorgar face. Not sure though. I've never liked the stock stickers.

6 months later
#1774 39 days ago

Anyone ever try precision flippers on their game? Been thinking about it lately. Also, I changed all my lights to LEDs. I may change the front 4 back to incandescent because those are so brights when 2x 3x are lit I can't see the ball.

1 week later
#1779 28 days ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

[quoted image][quoted image]

That's great. Before I got my Gorgar I was looking at a Firepower. Nice

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tedwasright.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying?tu=tedwasright and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.