PXL_20230921_145607720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalkatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#342 7 years ago

Hello, all. So I'm new to the club as I recently acquired a gorgar and finally gotten the time to tinker with it. One of the coils for the drop targets was shot(seized up and wasn't raising the stop targets, got smoking hot), so i replaced both target coils with new ones, new drop targets, cleaned the dt boards, and lubricated them. Now all targets drop and raise like new. So I boot it up and blow my 2.5 amp solenoid fuse, F2, on the power board. I look at the coils and realize they didn't come with diodes on them, so I solder the diodes from the old coils and I'm still blowing the fuse upon start up. I'm getting lights, sounds, flipper, but no game, as it stops obviously once it blows the fuse. I'm open to any help, and can someone tell me if the diodes go a certain direction on the dt coils, and what size diode they are? The manual doesn't g get into that much detail. Thank you for any help you can give.

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

You probably have a transistor blown on the board. The switch was probably shorted, blew the transistor and cooked the coil.
Lubricated the drop targets? You might want to wipe that off. Clean is good, oil attracts all the carbon and stuff and makes liquid sandpaper.

The grease is contract disk grease and i applied it sparingly to the contact sides of the green boards that the deep targets slide against.

One thing I forgot to mention, my red LED lights only come on for a second then go out on the mpu... Are they supposed to stay on entire time? This is my first Williams machine so its a bit foreign to me.

Past that, I have the lower drop target not blowing the fuse, only the upper drop target set. I'm going to turn the diode around and see if that works. Past that, I cannot seem to get it out of test mode....ugh. Thanks for the input so far. Which board were you referring to for a blown transistor? Would it be noticeable or do I have to test them? Thank you, again.

Sight_2016_09_22_134631_004 (resized).jpgSight_2016_09_22_134631_004 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#357 7 years ago

I'm hoping someone with a Gorgar could post 2-3 close up pics of the under side of the entire playfield for me to look at where a few wires are supposed to be going? Especially the upper drop target wires and the bottom(top) side..where the red wire leaves the upper drop target and continues.....i need to see where that loop ends. I know it meets up with another coil and then moved on but I'm not sure where that wire finishes (solders into).

That would be great. Thank you for your help.

#359 7 years ago

Awesome, thank you. Here are the two sections needed.

Sight_2016_11_08_163544_279 (resized).jpgSight_2016_11_08_163544_279 (resized).jpg

Sight_2016_11_08_163535_937 (resized).jpgSight_2016_11_08_163535_937 (resized).jpg

#362 7 years ago

Great!! Thank you for the pics, both of you. I appreciate it.

3 months later
#411 7 years ago

I'm torn between upgrading my mpu to either the rottendog or the swemmer boards..... Anyone have any pros or cons on either board to help me in my decision...?

2 months later
#442 6 years ago

Can someone tell me what size diode is used on both coils that pop up the drop down targets? Mine are barely readable and I want to replace them. Thank you for your help.

#444 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You can use a 1N4004. If you need to buy some, I would get the 1N4007 since it handles much higher voltage and usually costs the same as the 1N4004.

Thank you for your help.

4 weeks later
#453 6 years ago
Quoted from leckylove:

Hey guys
I've been dealing with ball hop on my gorgar for a while now. When my ball comes through the flipper guide to my flipper it bounces off the flipper making it difficult to hit the spinner shot among other shots. I never realized there was an easy fix. After restoring my machine and being very proud of it I might add I never new about Cliffy pinball protectors. After reading it on a post here on pinside I gave it a shot and purchase them. All I had to do was let him know which machine I had and where it was going and he let me know it was going to be just under $25 shipping included. After a few days I had them in hand and install them. It was a little menacing taking a metal file and filing off the old standoffs so I could reuse them but it wound up being a lot easier than I thought and well worth the effort. Now the machine plays as good as new and it is so much more fun to play it. I just figured it was worth sharing with you guys if anybody is encountering the same problem with your gorgar or any other machine that would have a ball hop problem. Kudos to Cliffy and the products that he makes.

Yeah, I'm thinking about picking up a pair of those myself.

Anyone with a Rottendog MPU experience two player start sometimes when you press the start button, once? I'm curious why this is and if there is a solution to the "issue"?

3 months later
#475 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Has anyone gotten the CPR backglass? How do you like it and is it worth it? Mine has spots where it's flaked off where each of the bulbs are located, presumably due to heat from the incandescents (and this is why LEDs are a necessary upgrade!) After owning it for 8 months now, it's probably going to stay in my collection for a good while, unless a super deal comes along, then this would be the first to go. What are your thoughts?

I have the one from Planetary and its pretty good. The colors aren't as bright (red gorgar is little darker than the original) but it is nice have a new glass in there.

1 week later
#483 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Anyone have any insider info on cpr playfield timeline? Everyone go order! I want to restore Gorgar!!

I think I'm going to have mine restored before that playfield gets produced. Lol. Patience is a virtue when it comes to reproductions, especially in the pinball world.

#488 6 years ago

Quoted from leckylove:You guys should definitely try restoring the playfield and doing a 2 part clear coat. It was tricky but vid1900s guide to restoring playfields is amazing.

Looks great. My playfield fortunately had no marks on it but I have to update the inserts, reset them, clean the heck out of it, and then clear coat it. My winter project!!

1 month later
#539 6 years ago
Quoted from leckylove:

Cool. I've been meaning to do that mod. Now I have even more incentive. Lol.

Where did you get your flipper mod from? Been thinking about doing that to a few of my machines.

#541 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Pinball Life
But you have to order an extra pair of Stern clear flipper buttons that are a little longer. The ones that come with this kit don't fit Gorgar. I would suggest calling when you order and letting them know you plan on using it on a Gorgar...
BriteButtons™ Illuminated Flipper Button Set For Williams/Bally WPC & WPC-95 Machines
BB_LB_WMS
Options:
Choose A Color : Red
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=BriteButtons%E2%84%A2+Illuminated+Flipper+Button+Set+For+Williams%2FBally+WPC+

Thank you for that info.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalkatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying?tu=metalkatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.