PXL_20230921_145607720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chalkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#476 6 years ago

Joined the club earlier today. She was non working but now up and running with only a few minor issues (other than being FILTHY dirty! ).

Other than the layer of grime on the playfield it seems like there is a spinner noise that is off, and two flipper wear spots I don't know how I'm going to deal with. Definitely a "players" machine so far but I feel like I stole it at $400.

1 week later
#478 6 years ago

Is the trough ejector supposed to have some kind of rubber on it?

20171011_151931 (resized).jpg20171011_151931 (resized).jpg

#485 6 years ago

Wow, good for you. Unfortunately mine is not a very good example with bare wood in a few places. All the black hatch lines make for a tough resto as far as airbrushing.

#487 6 years ago

I just bought a $50 beater meteor playfield to practice on in the hopes that Gorgar might get the treatment some day! I need to get clarification on how much can be done with water slide decals and how much should be done with the airbrush.

#497 6 years ago

My "gar" standups are behaving strangely. If all targets are standing and you touch the "G", even just a little bit the coil fires for a reset and 5k is awarded. If you hit the "A" or "R" nothing happens. I took them apart and cleaned the contacts and pads with rubbing alcohol and q-tips but nothing changed although they were badly gunked up. Nothing looks to be grounded or having any kind of issue although I guess it might not hurt to reflow the solder points. The other problem I have is the rubber behind these targets sometimes prevents them from dropping. I tried moving the whole assembly forward as best I could but the holes are just wide enough to accommodate the screw so no real clearance is gained. It's a little bit of a problem on the "GOR" standups but not nearly as bad.

#503 6 years ago

What looks better on gorgar, black or white bands?

#507 6 years ago

Heh, yeah I was thinking about red or otherwise colored titans in some places.

#510 6 years ago

On the restoration front, does anyone have playfield scans they can share for making decals?

#512 6 years ago

I'll take anything you have. My biggest area of concern is above the flippers where I've got bare wood and insert decals but I will take everything available for this (hopefully not to far off) future project.

20171012_163332 (resized).jpg20171012_163332 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#514 6 years ago

Got gorgar back up and running almost 100%! Only big issue remaining is the spinner sound only works 1 or 2 of the revolutions at a time, not like it's supposed to sound. Any go-to fixes for this?

2 weeks later
#516 6 years ago

Very interesting! I'll try "hot wiring" it when I get home and see what happens.

#528 6 years ago

Fliptronic = awesome but my flippers were trashed before the upgrade so I don't have much comparison. The Lane guides were a must for me too as the old guides were waaaaaay off. I increased the playfield angle, set the slings really sensitive and it plays fast and nasty now!

#550 6 years ago

I'd think it would do more with the mechanics of the actual switch than anything else.

1 week later
#574 6 years ago

Don't be scared, if you're alright with a soldering iron you'll be fine. Have a little solder wick around in case you accidentally bridge something but I was able to do the mpu and sound boards large molex connections with no problems they're all spaced pretty far out.

#576 6 years ago

Where the male pins are soldered on the back of the board, if I recall correctly they are all along the outside.

#585 6 years ago

I'd start by trying to re seat all the connectors and socketed ICs on the sound board. If it fixes your issue you may need new sockets or connectors. Check especially that you don't have "scanbe" brand sockets in there.

As for your displays stay with the same reseating connectors and re flowing solder. I was amazed how many cold solder joints my gorgar had and how many issues reflowing resolved.

Edit: just noticed the connectors in the bottom of your last pic with wires run under the connector to the board. You should probably just redo all your female molex connectors as somebody has already tried to half ass fix them for some reason.

3 weeks later
#610 6 years ago

There's enough people on here to walk you through it. It's an easy process, just a little nerve raking drilling into the bottom of the playfield for the new mechs!

2 weeks later
#626 6 years ago

My gorgar playfield is pretty beat. The cabinet is trashed but damn is it fun to play! I have it set up super nasty with hair trigger slings and I'm still trying to beat the default 500K high score.

1 week later
#630 6 years ago

I think he might be saying he has it set to extra ball at replay score, which he has set to 300k, is that right? If it resets the gor-gar value that might be a bug, basically running the same code through as if you got the extra ball by completing 3 gor-gars and hitting the saucer.

#635 6 years ago

Has anybody put these on? My cabinet is trashed (p.o. had it in an attic for 5-10 years) and it might be a good option after shoring up the wood. As it is now it's cracked up pretty good.

#639 6 years ago

Does anyone make a flatbox replacement cab for classic williams / stern /etc?

#642 6 years ago

I got one that was in an attic for many years and it bounced back pretty quick after reflowing solder and a few other small fixes. Not sure about those wires but you can check the schematic or give us colors and locations.

It's an incredibly fun game for such a simple layout. I love it.

#644 6 years ago

You mean the connectors on all the boards / where they're hooked up?

#646 6 years ago

I can take some photos when I get home tomorrow. Are they not keyed?

#648 6 years ago

What happened?

1 week later
#659 6 years ago

Are you positive it's paint and not a vinyl backing that gets removed? If so that's a pretty big bummer. I wonder if you could polish the paint away and have clear.

3 weeks later
#675 6 years ago

In line with the ball guides

2 months later
#697 5 years ago

Could be connectors getting wiggled from the socket action, or cold solder joints. All the boards on my gorgar had em.

1 week later
#706 5 years ago

That's a crazy problem. I had on off sound, some incorrect noises and a host of other really bizarre intermittent issues and nearly everything was resolved by reflowing solder on every single board's connectors. I replaced sound board caps at the same time but I'm not convinced that was it.

1 month later
#720 5 years ago

If I was doing a full restore I'd have to think about that custom cabinet art from earlier in the thread. Not sure if black or red would be a better hardware accent either way.

1 week later
#731 5 years ago

If your gorgar is easy adjust your slings so that if a ball even grazes em they fire. The outlanes are brutal.

#733 5 years ago

I do the special for 50k but no extra balls except the saucer. Works well and gives you an extra incentive to get the stars & hit the roving arrow. I think there's another special in an outlane but I must have it turned off as I don't think it's ever been lit.

1 week later
#740 5 years ago

Awesome pickup! Mine was bought not working as it had the dead battery code

1 week later
#752 5 years ago

Gorgar made someone really really mad

#756 5 years ago

Lock in the paint with some triple thick, mask and airbrush. Don't just spray paint over the cracked areas with black like the jerk that had mine did >

#775 5 years ago

Wow!!!!!! That is a sharp looking gorgs.

4 months later
#827 5 years ago

Vid has a thread on upgrading Williams flippers with fliptronics mechs from pinball life. A+ would recommend.

1 week later
#841 5 years ago

Your guides are likely worn down. Cliffy makes replacements that will give you a smooth transition like new.

#846 5 years ago

Are your flipper mechs tight or can you move the flippers from the top of the playfield? You may have worn bushings. Another thing you can try is loosening the screws, putting some pressure on the guides so they are positioned better, and tightening the screws while you have hand pressure on them. If your screw holes are wallowed it you can do the toothpick trick. Make sure you put the toothpick on the worn side, probably the bottom.

#852 5 years ago

I did the upgrade and recommend it. I put the nails back in as I preferred the black nail heads to empty space or filler. It was pretty straight forward as the guide specifies as I recall. I remember being really nervous about drilling into the playfield for the screw pilots. I did the old masking-tape-on-the-drill-bit trick to make sure I didnt exceed the correct depth and had a buddy hold the mech in place to ensure the bushing / flipper stayed centered while I drilled.

#858 5 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

It's a combination of the 3 screws to hold the flipper post not staying because the post is too worn, and that I can't keep the guides in the proper place even after trying the toothpick trick. Right flipper is good, but the left is still a touch off again. Though I'd really much rather put in fliptronic flippers, but...not on this playfield. Maybe as a test when the CPR ones ever get done.

Well the replacement mechs will solve bushing issues, not sure why your guides would be wandering. I'd recommend giving the upgrade a shot if you like the game. It's really a big improvement over old worn mechs, especially if yours are as rough as having loose bushings. At least rebuild!

5 months later
#925 4 years ago

That's correct scoring. B is more valuable than A or C. Hit it before the spinner lights, avoid it after until spinner is unlit at 20 bonus.

#929 4 years ago

For more fabulous scoring tips and tricks we'll be streaming Gorgar at 6PM EST Saturday from the Richmond Pinball Collective. Twitch channel is #richmondpinballcollective, should be fun times.

#930 4 years ago

Stream starting shortly! Say "hi" in the chat.

4 months later
#959 4 years ago

Wow wow wow! Great work!

Seeing your cab with the hardware off makes me think it might look pretty swanky with black powdercoat.

2 months later
#985 4 years ago

That is a brilliant idea! Can you make a system so they can detach like pingulp premiums? I could save a ton of money... the ability to detach and holes in the bottom would make them perfect.

#989 4 years ago

They need to be removable to make room to slide between games and access the back box when you have your pins close together!

3 months later
#1102 3 years ago

The ball guides are a must!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chalkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying?tu=Chalkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.