PXL_20230921_145607720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg
There are 1,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 36.
#301 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

I just received some Roms from here very happy with the fast delivery...
http://thatpinballplace.com/eproms/sys37.html

Was trying to look at this site last night but it wasn't loading for some reason. Seems fine now. These are way cheaper than the ones I saw on ebay, thanks for the link!

1 week later
#302 8 years ago

Hey everybody. I'm new to Pinside, but not new to Gorgar. He was my first machine, has been with me since 1988 or so. Perhaps you can see from my avatar just how much I like this machine. Sadly, he's been out of commission for an embarassingly long time, but I'm dedicated to getting him operational this fall/winter. Although I've been a player for years, this is going to be my first attempt at fixing/restoring, so I'm going to study this thread and mof's restoration thread endlessly, and take my time to get it right. All advice welcome.

My backglass is sh*t, so I'll be getting a repro. I'll do LEDs in the new BG just to avoid the hot spots that ruined the original.

But before any of that, I think reconnecting these yellow wires is going to have to be a priority.

GorgarWires.pngGorgarWires.png

#303 8 years ago

If anyone needs extra speech roms, I've got 2/3 of a set. IC-5 has a few broken pins but can probably be repaired. I just needed the set for IC-5 but ended up breaking the new 5 chip by mistake, and just repairing my old one. So if you need IC-6 or IC-7 or want a set and can repair chips (I did mine, but it's not my proudest fix), I'll send em cheap.

#304 8 years ago
Quoted from LarryMac:

My backglass is sh*t, so I'll be getting a repro. I'll do LEDs in the new BG just to avoid the hot spots that ruined the original.

Try mayfair amusements for the back glass they have a great repro. They are very diligent I called once and didn't leave a message and they called me back anyway to make sure I didn't need anything.

1 month later
#305 8 years ago

I have a nice original Gorgar manual if anybody wants it for 15 bucks, shipping included

#306 8 years ago

Just added a polk 10" sub woofer to my Gorgar. It puts it over the top for sound! Heart beat shakes the whole house now. Great inexpensive mod. I have one Gorgar that I bought in the 80's and 4 more in my garage for restore. Gorgar was my first love in Pinball and have a hard time passing up on one when its priced right.

1 week later
#307 8 years ago

Hey fellow pinheads, joined the Gorgar club today! Bargain find! This pin had been in a bar for 14 years and then in storage. Everything works except the outhole kicker and drop targets switches aren't recognized. Also, the sound is really loud (adjusting the volume potentiometer doesn't help.) No coin mechs. And it smells like an ash tray. The backglass is exceptionally nice. Just a couple of spots where there's a little wear.
The cabinet is in decent shape except for the bones are all yellowed. Imagine 14 years of cigarette smoke on that cabinet. Nasty. Anyway, I think this will be a good winter restoration project.

#308 8 years ago

Welcome to the club, sounds like a good find.

#309 8 years ago

Thanks, LarryMac. Worked on it a bit and got everything fixed! That is except for the ashtray smell. The sound problem was a loose soundboard. Secured it to the backbox ground and it's working fine. Just have a few switches that don't always register. Ready to start the restoration...

#310 8 years ago

Hey Gorgar fans, my backbox is missing the locking assembly. Could anyone post several pics so I can try to engineer a solution? I may be putting this Gorgar on route eventually, so I'd really like to be able to get the glass secured in place.
Thanks!!!
Enaud

#311 8 years ago

Does anyone have a used but working display? I have two out

Thanks
PinballCharlie

#312 8 years ago

Thought I would share my gorgar. Bought it a few months ago and when I saw it knew right away I was taking it. Super clean. Day 1 mylar and no wear at all on playfield. Cabinet real nice. Plastics are perfect (Not 1 crack or chip) and backglass is mint. I redid the pins and connectors on the boards and it plays perfect. Stripped the playfield and put all new plastics posts and rubbers. Replaced all bulbs and cleaned all the inserts. The drop targets are a bit sticky but I don't want to take them out just yet since I want to get new decals for them. If anyone knows where I can get new decals then please let me know. When I find them on some of the US sites the shipping is 4 times the price of the decals. If someone happens to have a set I would be more than happy to send you the cash and have you mail them. I would pay all cost.DSCF0984.JPGDSCF0984.JPGDSCF0985.JPGDSCF0985.JPGDSCF0986.JPGDSCF0986.JPGDSCF0987.JPGDSCF0987.JPGDSCF0988.JPGDSCF0988.JPGDSCF0989.JPGDSCF0989.JPGDSCF0990.JPGDSCF0990.JPG

1 week later
#313 8 years ago

Hey Enaud
Here are some pics of backglass locking mechanism. If you have any more questions pm me happy to help.

20151225_221705_(resized).jpg20151225_221705_(resized).jpg

20151225_221729_(resized).jpg20151225_221729_(resized).jpg

20151225_221741_(resized).jpg20151225_221741_(resized).jpg

#314 8 years ago

Thanks, Lecky! A picture is worth a thousand words. That looks easy enough.
Cheers.

#315 8 years ago

I have the same issue with the ball shooting out very fast and slamming the glass. I've got the correct coil too. Has anyone figured this out??

#316 8 years ago

My restoration is coming right along. I need some help on a part number. The left and right ball return guides are worn a bit, so that when the ball comes down the return guide, it is a little low. The ball bumps into the flipper rubber and bounces a little. It should flow right on to the flipper bat. I've searched for the part number and can't find it. Is the 8108 part number that Cliffy makes a replacement for Gorgar?

#317 8 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

My restoration is coming right along. I need some help on a part number. The left and right ball return guides are worn a bit, so that when the ball comes down the return guide, it is a little low. The ball bumps into the flipper rubber and bounces a little. It should flow right on to the flipper bat. I've searched for the part number and can't find it. Is the 8108 part number that Cliffy makes a replacement for Gorgar?

I just ordered some from Cliffy for Gorgar yesterday. Just email him and tell him you need them for Gorgar and he will send you the correct ones. They are actually part A-8151.

#318 8 years ago

Thanks, IamNaN, I just sent Cliff an email.

#319 8 years ago

Has anyone changed the setting so you have to hit the 1-2-3-4 targets in sequence? I have it that way now, it definitely makes it much more difficult to complete. I'm not sure if its funner, especially for guests. That 4 is tough to shoot for.

1 month later
#320 8 years ago

I'm in the club! Just finishing up a restoration with a major overhall and even repainted cabinet. It's looking great. Of course, going through the final checkout I found that switch 28 is not scoring in a game. It was working initially, then got intermittent and then went to not scoring. This is the top rollover switch C.
In test mode it works fine. I replaced the diode on the leaf switch just to make sure it's okay. I have tested continuity all the way to where it connects to 2J3-6 on the driver board. I'm scratching my head on this because it registers in test mode. It just doesn't score nor does it register in a game. But in diagnostics switch 28 tests perfectly.
I would appreciate it greatly if any of you Gorgar experts could help me figure this one out! (Pictures of the restore coming soon.)
Any help would be great! Thanks.

#321 8 years ago

Welcome to the club!

In switch test are you using the ball or your finger to check it? Your finger might press the switch more then the ball and would explain why it doesn't work when playing a game. If this is the cass it might just need to be adjusted?

#322 8 years ago

The switch works in diagnostic test with the ball. Definitely works in test, but not in game play. I've verified that it isn't a switch gap. If I trigger the switch contacts in gameplay and nothing happens. So, I'm sure it isn't gap adjustment.

#323 8 years ago

Tweaked around with it some more and the switch is working now! So, the restoration is done! Just in time for the Alabama state pinball finals competition coming up this weekend. Here's a few pictures of the finished job. It's on route to the competition for this weekend! I have a couple of minor cosmetics to take care of (player 3 display needs to come up about 1/4 inch, and a few spots on the backglass to clean up).
I had scored some of the free PinballLife PerfectPLay Silicone rubbers that they were giving away last month. They are nice and strong. Soooooooo much easier to put on than the superbands. I like these rubbers lots!

IMG_7216_(resized).JPGIMG_7216_(resized).JPG

IMG_7219_(resized).JPGIMG_7219_(resized).JPG

IMG_7218_(resized).JPGIMG_7218_(resized).JPG

#324 8 years ago

Game looks great!

What was the issue with the switch?

#325 8 years ago

Not sure what the real problem was. Perhaps a loose connection? I reseated all the connectors and then did a burn in. After that it worked fine. Gremlins I guess.

#326 8 years ago

Thats cool. Glad you got it. Maybe it was one of Gorgar's lost soul's that was causing the issue. Lol. My 17 year old daughter says the game is just creepy and doesn't like to play it. Lol. Well she really don't play any of them that often.

2 weeks later
#327 8 years ago

CPR has Gorgar PFs on the registration page now.

I can't wait (but I will)! I'm finally going to have a game restored with repro parts. I've already got the backglass that PPS did (highly recommended), and CPR plastics.

#328 8 years ago

Don't know if it was posted before, there is a song about this game:

You're runnin' around in the gamblin' hall
Every night it's the same
You're lookin' for something new to play
To win and have fun is your aim

A pinball speaks to you
His metal voice is knockin' in your head
You can't resist you'll have to play
You're just another victim caught in the trap

Gorgar will eat you, Gorgar
Man you'll never win, hey
But you keep on playin', hey

Your blood is boilin', your eyes grow wide
Advance, too late
Gamblin' fever has taken your mind
This fuckin' machine of hate

You spend all your money
But you'll never win
You're always the loser
And the robot's voice keeps hammering

Wastin' money for fun every night
Livin' for today, no thoughts for tomorrow
Man you are dead don't you realize?
Wake up and live before it's too late

Tilt

#329 8 years ago

Gorgar lives here as well. It was one of my favorites in my arcade days.

IMG_20160305_090256_(resized).jpgIMG_20160305_090256_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#330 8 years ago

Got a Gorger from a fellow Pinsider this weekend, and it's the first pinball machine I've ever owned. It plays perfectly with strong flippers and no mechanical issues at all. Been playing it non-stop, what a great game!! Was worth carrying this beast up a flight of stairs...

Gorgar1_(resized).jpgGorgar1_(resized).jpg

#331 8 years ago

That's great pincat welcome to the club ! There's only one thing that compliments the decor of a room that has a pinball machine and that's another pinball machine! enjoy it.

20150816_171929_(resized).jpg20150816_171929_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#332 8 years ago

WOOOOOO! I just put my order in for a Gorgar playfield at CPR! How long has the news of repro been out? Glad I'm in

-Rev

1 week later
#333 8 years ago

We just picked a Gorgar up this past week.... NT>

Gorgar3_(resized).jpgGorgar3_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#334 7 years ago

could someone help me out with ithe cabinet button size for Gorgar? do i need the 1 3/8 or will the 1 1/8 work?

#335 7 years ago

They are 1 1/8

3 months later
#336 7 years ago

Looking for help with Gorgar sound and speech. Just recently purchased and trying to get it working correctly. I just installed new sound and speech boards from kohout. I get heart beat and inplay sound. no sound on start up or speech. What should i look at ? Please help.

1 week later
#337 7 years ago

Can anyone tell me the exact sequence to put Gorgar on free play? I know it's 18 but dont know what to press to get there

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#339 7 years ago

IMG_1085 (resized).JPGIMG_1085 (resized).JPG

IMG_1086b (resized).JPGIMG_1086b (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#340 7 years ago

Yay, got all the bulbs switched from standard to non ghosting LED from Cointaker! I'm very happy with the switch, just seems to make it modern without changing too much. Now all I have to do is fix the sound issues. Speech is intermittent from being normal, crackly or very very quiet. I think it might be the amp on the original board, but the rest of the sounds are perfect! Ordered both sound and speech board from Kohout Enterprises. Hope this solves the issue. Frustrating thing is I can't just tap on something and induce the crackling noise. I figured it was a ground but if it is, I'm not finding the issue.

IMG_0916 (resized).jpgIMG_0916 (resized).jpg

IMG_0938 (resized).jpgIMG_0938 (resized).jpg

IMG_0943 (resized).jpgIMG_0943 (resized).jpg

IMG_0944 (resized).jpgIMG_0944 (resized).jpg

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from jpetrol251:

Looking for help with Gorgar sound and speech. Just recently purchased and trying to get it working correctly. I just installed new sound and speech boards from kohout. I get heart beat and inplay sound. no sound on start up or speech. What should i look at ? Please help.

Did you adjust the volume on the sound board to be midway? if it's turned fully clockwise, you'll only get heart beat and effects, counterclockwise gets you the voice so set it mid way. Then the main volume under the play field can control the rest.

#342 7 years ago

Hello, all. So I'm new to the club as I recently acquired a gorgar and finally gotten the time to tinker with it. One of the coils for the drop targets was shot(seized up and wasn't raising the stop targets, got smoking hot), so i replaced both target coils with new ones, new drop targets, cleaned the dt boards, and lubricated them. Now all targets drop and raise like new. So I boot it up and blow my 2.5 amp solenoid fuse, F2, on the power board. I look at the coils and realize they didn't come with diodes on them, so I solder the diodes from the old coils and I'm still blowing the fuse upon start up. I'm getting lights, sounds, flipper, but no game, as it stops obviously once it blows the fuse. I'm open to any help, and can someone tell me if the diodes go a certain direction on the dt coils, and what size diode they are? The manual doesn't g get into that much detail. Thank you for any help you can give.

#343 7 years ago

You probably have a transistor blown on the board. The switch was probably shorted, blew the transistor and cooked the coil.
Lubricated the drop targets? You might want to wipe that off. Clean is good, oil attracts all the carbon and stuff and makes liquid sandpaper.

#344 7 years ago

Does anyone know the story behind the "D" and the "E" inserts?

I've noticed that a pretty decent amount of Gorgars have green D and E inserts in the inlanes, where others have orange inserts.

Was one color used on an earlier production run? The Gorgar in my collection has orange inserts. Just curious.

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

You probably have a transistor blown on the board. The switch was probably shorted, blew the transistor and cooked the coil.
Lubricated the drop targets? You might want to wipe that off. Clean is good, oil attracts all the carbon and stuff and makes liquid sandpaper.

The grease is contract disk grease and i applied it sparingly to the contact sides of the green boards that the deep targets slide against.

One thing I forgot to mention, my red LED lights only come on for a second then go out on the mpu... Are they supposed to stay on entire time? This is my first Williams machine so its a bit foreign to me.

Past that, I have the lower drop target not blowing the fuse, only the upper drop target set. I'm going to turn the diode around and see if that works. Past that, I cannot seem to get it out of test mode....ugh. Thanks for the input so far. Which board were you referring to for a blown transistor? Would it be noticeable or do I have to test them? Thank you, again.

Sight_2016_09_22_134631_004 (resized).jpgSight_2016_09_22_134631_004 (resized).jpg

#346 7 years ago

YAY, with the new sound and speech board from Kohout Enterprises, no issues with the speech anymore! All the sounds were quite a bit louder actually than with the older board. Had to turn down the volume under the play table quite a bit. Now just waiting for my pinballpro speaker to see if it will make a difference over the 6X9 that was installed in the game when I bought it.

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

YAY, with the new sound and speech board from Kohout Enterprises, no issues with the speech anymore! All the sounds were quite a bit louder actually than with the older board. Had to turn down the volume under the play table quite a bit. Now just waiting for my pinballpro speaker to see if it will make a difference over the 6X9 that was installed in the game when I bought it.

Oh good. Sounds like you are set. How much was the new speaker?

#348 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Past that, I have the lower drop target not blowing the fuse, only the upper drop target set. I'm going to turn the diode around. Thanks for the input so far. Which board were you referring to for a blown transistor? Would it be noticeable or do I have to test them? Thank you, again.

I wouldn't turn the diode around. it goes like this. The banded end goes towards the red wires. You will have to test the transistor. Yes, the transistor will cause the fuse to blow when that coil is activated. If you haven't yet you should read vids system 3-7 guide. It will tell (and show) everything. Also be sure to fuse the bridge rectifiers in the back box.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#349 7 years ago

Ordered it Sept 21 from Pinballpro.net , hope to see a tracking number soon I would expect. Speaker was $79.95 plus $18 to ship, for a grand total of $97.95. Very expensive compared to other options out there, but I figured that is what OT is for. I'm curious to see how it sounds compared to what I have already.

1 week later
#350 7 years ago

Just purchased my first pinball machine on Saturday from my friends grandpa and it is Gorgar! It is in pretty bad shape but I think it will be a good learning project. I don't know anything about restoring pinball machines but would love to learn. I bookmarked vids guide and mofs resto so far from this thread. The ground on the plug is cut off so I'm going to start by putting a new 3 prong plug on and replacing a fuse that I noticed is broken on one of the boards. It starts up with 1496 1 on player 1 display and a 4 where the credits should be. I tried powering on and off twice with the coin door open and the codes go away. It then flashes 500000 and 000000 alternating in player 1's score. I pushed the button below the coin inserts and it gave me free credits I think. Well when I push start it says gorgar! speaks! and nothing happens, the ball doesn't launch. There is a heartbeat though. The flippers work (though the right flipper is missing its rubber). I used a knife to push the ball into the plunger so I could do a test run, from what I can see, the pops don't work and the drop targets are not popping up. There were 2 standing, I hit 1 and it is still down, won't pop up. Could these issues all be related to the broken fuse or do I have a series of unrelated problems to tackle here?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
There are 1,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.