PXL_20230921_145607720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg
There are 1,799 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 36.
#251 9 years ago

Nice.

So many memories of Gorgar back in the day... BuuWaaaaa...

#252 9 years ago

Got my friends gorgar up and running. Cool game. Love the speech and the magnet that freezes balls. Have 2 issues to tackle. Firsat is the center drop target bank. When you hit any of the targets they dont fall right away. They move slowly down until vibration finally makes them fall. Ill look at it this week but it looks like a hornets nest of wires. Hoping its just grime like other targets I have fixed.

#253 9 years ago

(do not continue reading if you are a purist)

I'm a "performance-ist". All my games play great. This now includes Gorgar.

I've had Gorgar for 4 weeks now, and I've been *sick* of how it's had the poorest inlane performance of any game I've owned from the 80's. (yes it's from 1979, but stay with me)

* I started my adventure by moving the flipper return frames.
* I chose NOT to move the wireform ball guides since those holes are the most visible. To cover the old holes would have required really larger washers (kinda distracting.) In retrospect, it's possible that JUST moving these might have been the best choice, but what's done is done.
* Last night I completed my journey to inlane-flipper-awesomeness. I moved the outlane posts to the outside by 3/32" (I moved the center-point to the radius of the previous hole) to line them up PERFECTLY with the wireform ball guides. GAAAASSSSPPP!!! Does this mean the game is no longer an outlane-drain-pain?
Nope. It's still really evil, however. There have been some FANTASTIC trade offs.

1. outlane drains are still evil. There are three points of rubber contact that make this so -- same as before, the design forces the ball outside most of the time.
2. NOW, you have a tiny chance of nudging (actually playing the game) to get the ball out of there. Before you used to have almost no chance.
3. NOW, you are penalized for trapping fast-balls, they FREQUENTLY moon-walk right out and into the outlane.
4. Visually, you can see 1/16" of wear against the bottom of the washer. Oh well. If you are staring at that spot during a game, you are "doing it wrong."

So I traded one kind of hell for another.

What is the MASSIVE pro to doing this???

Now the ball PROPERLY flies in on a fastball and smoothly zooms to the flippers like on my other 80's Williams games.

The fact that there is now SMOOTH in and out traffic to the inlanes completely changes this game from "good" to "great".

If you are still interested in learning more, click here to see the before/after.
-mof

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-gorgar-mof-20150301/page/2#post-2348613

#254 9 years ago

I'll shoot a video tonight or tomorrow night to demonstrate how smooth the flow is now.
-mof

#256 9 years ago

Can anyone send me a pic of below pf what is below spinner on right. Mine has a wire going down and a long copper leaf switch with a hole in it. Need to see how its connected or if I am missing something. Thanks!

#257 9 years ago

4 weeks into restoring my Gorgar, and it's now playing G R E A T.

I've upgraded my rating on Gorgar, and added the following... I'm really impressed by this pin.

I am really having difficulty not thinking of this game as INCREDIBLY well balanced pin from a shot-type/risk/scoring point of view.

You can go for completing any of three things at any time, with very equal risk/reward. It's near-perfection.

1. drops --> extra ball
2. standups --> extra ball
3. 1-2-3 lanes for multiplier --> max bonus

* 8 shots for 2 flippers
* BOTH flippers can backhand critical shots (snake pit, and spinner) (a very rare pin quality)
* no lane change is great (real skill shot)
* fun timed shot -- arrow that pulses from standup to standup to earn a special
* fun timed shot -- "cave shot - special" that expires in 10 seconds
* neat rules on the spinner, only lit "half" of the time based on your bonus level
* voice sounds great (first ever with 7 words)
* heartbeat sounds great -- install speaker upgrades if possible
* strong pop pen, left pop is mean!!! (can score for you as well, a perfect pop)
* Eugene Jarvis sound effects are great
* incredibly satisfying drop target banks. Both are sweepable. (GOR) is easier.

Highly Recommended!
-mof

#258 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Can anyone send me a pic of below pf what is below spinner on right. Mine has a wire going down and a long copper leaf switch with a hole in it. Need to see how its connected or if I am missing something. Thanks!

Here's a few pics but they don't show the wire connected underneath. Sounds like you have everything. The wire needs to hook through the hole in the leaf switch and feed up through the playfield. Then you can install it on the spinner. I'll try to get a picture of it connected if I get time.
Hope that helps.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG DSC01489.JPGDSC01489.JPG
#259 9 years ago

Perfect. Already hooked up. Those two holes made me think I was missing something. Thanks

#260 9 years ago
Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

Here's a few pics but they don't show the wire connected underneath. Sounds like you have everything. The wire needs to hook through the hole in the leaf switch and feed up through the playfield. Then you can install it on the spinner. I'll try to get a picture of it connected if I get time.
Hope that helps.

Capture.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
DSC01489.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

What's up with the numbers on the playfield?

#261 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

* fun timed shot -- "cave shot - special" that expires in 10 seconds

Great list. What is the timed cave shot event?

One change I just made that I'm digging is. change game setting (?) to require the 1-4 targets to to be hit in sequence. Makes it much more difficult, some would say: devilishly difficult...

#262 9 years ago

The saucer shot on left. Mine is only lit for about 10 seconds. 10 you have to earn gor and gar again.
Mof

#263 9 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

What's up with the numbers on the playfield?

Gorgar was my first restore. I traced all the switches and coils then numbered them as I took them off. It was a great help as it went back together easily. I think it was more of a confidence builder. I don't do that anymore, just lots of pics.

#264 9 years ago

I have this decal on mine, anyone else have this? could this be from factory?

003.JPG003.JPG
#265 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

I've never seen the sticker on the 5 machines I've seen... interesting

1 week later
#266 9 years ago

Hi everybody! I join the group...
My friend has two Gorgar, and the red color (only the red) seems to be different from the backbox to the cabinet. The backbox seems to be more groomed but with a less bright red finish.
My first though was the red has been faded by the sun, but the Gorgars come from two different cities and cannot be a coincidence! Moreover, the white color is perfect, so the sun cannot be the culprit. Could be that the backboxes were painted in another factory???
He also tried to sand a little bit the red on the backbox, in order to find the "original" color, but without result.
Please have a look to the enclosed pics... Does anyone know why? Which is the correct one to be considered for the restoration???
Thanks in advance...
Ciao!

cassone gorgar.JPGcassone gorgar.JPG testata_gorgar.JPGtestata_gorgar.JPG
#267 9 years ago

Maybe this is correct, two different types of red to distinguish Gorgar against the other red

Gorgar.pngGorgar.png

#268 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Yes this is a factory sticker. Well it was released after a few people were having issues with lost quarters. I guess it's a bug in the software that it won't register a coin drop while speech is active.

1 week later
#269 8 years ago

I'm in.

After wanting this game for sometime now I finally got one. It's in awesome shape. Playfield has a little ball swirl, but not that noticeable. And the back glass has only a few scratches through the paint. Both are at least a 8.5 to 9. Cab is in ok condition for its age. I'd like to thank lostlumberjacks for this game. Awesome guy to deal with.

20150423_171727.jpg20150423_171727.jpg

#270 8 years ago

Helping a friend out. He is getting random tilts on the gorgar we just cleaned up. Any ideas ?

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Helping a friend out. He is getting random tilts on the gorgar we just cleaned up. Any ideas ?

Check the tilt switches and make sure they're not closing with vibration of the game play.

#272 8 years ago

I got my order from pinball life. WOW!!! What a difference the flipper upgrade is on this game. I followed Mof's advice and ordered the kits with everything you need. Its like a whole new game.

#273 8 years ago

New hi score with said flipper upgrade.
20150429_145403.jpg20150429_145403.jpg

#274 8 years ago

Got my new backglass in! Now i'm going to need to repaint the cabinet, that's the only thing left that hasn't been redone.

FB_IMG_1430515332370.jpgFB_IMG_1430515332370.jpg
1 month later
1 week later
#276 8 years ago

What's the deal with the display wiring being in the front of the light panel and right behind the glass?

On my game the wires block light and create silhouettes behind the backglass. Is it supposed to be that way?

2 weeks later
#277 8 years ago

Can someone with better eyes help me out? What color are the lane guides up top? I can't tell if they are red or orange (color blind). If anyone knows the length or part number too, that would be great. Mine are shot.

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

Can someone with better eyes help me out? What color are the lane guides up top? I can't tell if they are red or orange (color blind). If anyone knows the length or part number too, that would be great. Mine are shot.

Mine are transparent red, 2-1/8". They appear to be this part:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PG42

#279 8 years ago

I'm shopping out a Gorgar to put in a friend's house, and I want the rules to be clear as day.

Here's what I've come up with. I feel pretty good about them. Please let me know if you think anything can be improved. Next up will be to try and re-create the replay card.

-mof

---

INSTRUCTIONS

• To Start Game, Push Credit Button Once For Each Player.
• Making G - O - R Targets Advances "PIT" Value, Earns 5000 Points, & Lites GOR.
• Making G - A - R Targets Lites Jet Bumpers For 1000, Earns 5000 Points & Lites GAR.
• Making G - A - R Targets 4 Times Lites G - A - R Targets For 5000 Each & Lites Outlane Specials.
• Lighting GOR & GAR Advances Kicker Value. Extra Ball Made When Lit.
• Making 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 Lites Pit Magnet for 50,000 & Lites Next Star. When Both Stars Are Lit, Making 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 Lites Red Arrows Alternately For Special.
• Making "D" & "E" Spots 1 - 2 - 3 - 4.
• Making A-B-C Advances Bonus Multiplier, “2x” & “3x”.
• Snake Pit Value Resets If 20,000 Or More Points Are Scored.
• 10,000 Bonus Lites Spinner, 20,000 Bonus Turns Spinner Off.
• Tilt Penalty - Ball In Play - Does Not Disqualify Player.
• Special Scores 1 EXTRA BALL. Maximum One Per Ball.

#280 8 years ago

There are essentially 9 rules. It's refreshingly simple.
-mof

#281 8 years ago

I think I nailed the new cards. The font I went with is Arial Bold. I'm sure there is a more perfect font for it. Meh. Close enough!
-mof

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-gorgar-mof-20150301/page/4#post-2561870

#282 8 years ago

A few glamour shots of the front end. Lookin' nice.
-mof

201507_Gor-glamour1.jpg201507_Gor-glamour1.jpg201507_Gor-glamour2.jpg201507_Gor-glamour2.jpg

#283 8 years ago

Well thanks to pinsider barakandI my gorgar is alive again. Or should I say resurrected? Had a board lock up issue and he took care of it. I recommend any board work needed to send his way.

Heres a short game with some shimmy outlane saves. Tilt is in bottom of cab.

1 week later
#284 8 years ago

Just had a killer ball 3. I was in the zone.

20150728_182023.jpg20150728_182023.jpg

This game continues to call me back to it for some reason. I think it wants my soul.

3 weeks later
#285 8 years ago

Hey guys
I just finished restoring my gorgar. I did a complete tear down of playfield, touch up of artwork and 2 part automotive clear coat. Then I repainted the cabinet and back box as well. I also bulletproofed the boards so the machine I always wanted as a kid plays and looks like new. I was thinking about making a topper for it , maybe a muscle bound devil or something else if anyone has any ideas. Maybe I'm just crazy what do you guys think?1439344353365.jpg1439344353365.jpg20141123_122833.jpg20141123_122833.jpg20141123_122819.jpg20141123_122819.jpg20141011_191301.jpg20141011_191301.jpg20141011_191245.jpg20141011_191245.jpg20141231_184055.jpg20141231_184055.jpg1439344353365.jpg1439344353365.jpg

#286 8 years ago

Hi,
Looking for a Gorgar. Wife asked for one. She remembers it fondly. I am in Jessup, Maryland 20794. Planning on going to York show Friday October 9th.
Thank You
Andy

#287 8 years ago
Quoted from leckylove:

Hey guys
I just finished restoring my gorgar. I did a complete tear down of playfield, touch up of artwork and 2 part automotive clear coat. Then I repainted the cabinet and back box as well. I also bulletproofed the boards so the machine I always wanted as a kid plays and looks like new. I was thinking about making a topper for it , maybe a muscle bound devil or something else if anyone has any ideas. Maybe I'm just crazy what do you guys think?1439344353365.jpg 20141123_122833.jpg 20141123_122819.jpg 20141011_191301.jpg 20141011_191245.jpg 20141231_184055.jpg 1439344353365.jpg

Looks nice!! I have one with a similar restore....touched up cleared PF, repainted cab, CPR BG, etc. I've always wanted a topper to place up on top of ol' Gorgar.....not sure what tho. I'd definitely want it to light up and maybe blink green when you nail the "PIT" shot?!

Maybe a big green snake trying to swallow a half naked woman while Gorgar squeezes the life out it!! It has to be cool for sure.

#288 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Looks nice!! I have one with a similar restore....touched up cleared PF, repainted cab, CPR BG, etc. I've always wanted a topper to place up on top of ol' Gorgar.....not sure what tho. I'd definitely want it to light up and maybe blink green when you nail the "PIT" shot?!
Maybe a big green snake trying to swallow a half naked woman while Gorgar squeezes the life out it!! It has to be cool for sure.

Thats a good idea for a topper. I was thinking a gorgar replica like in the playfield with arms holding on to the ends of backbox and when heartbeat goes red leds blink to the hear beat with green led eyes. Need the find starving artist to sculpt something up to make a mold.

#289 8 years ago

i dont think I posted mine yet. I finished it back in June. It's decent, but the cabinet itself is in bad shape. 20150609_111114.jpg20150609_111114.jpg
20150609_111046.jpg20150609_111046.jpg20150609_111136.jpg20150609_111136.jpgFB_IMG_1433867441594.jpgFB_IMG_1433867441594.jpg

4 weeks later
#290 8 years ago

Picked one up last weekend. I thought it was working when I drove out to pick it up but I think the guy selling it left out some details. I'm excited to have another game though, and I could always learn more about repairs. Right now he only speaks in sound test mode, not during the game, and I'm having some weird display issues. Those are the only two big things I've found so far... It's got new rottendog boards in it but I'm wondering if something is screwed up with them.

#291 8 years ago

Tinkered around last night and kind of have a rough idea of what's going on some places, others are a mystery. I made a thread in tech but I figured I'd ask the Gorgar experts as well.
It's got a Rottendog MPU327 installed, but it's acting pretty strange.
It always starts up in the audit mode, but I can get through it by powering off and on real quick, but it won't save any settings I change.
The sounds work fine during the game, and Gorgar speaks fine if I hit the sound board test button, but he never speaks at any other point. I'm wondering if it's a speech board issue? I tried cleaning the speech roms and putting them back, but that didn't change anything. The 1 and 2 switches are both on and the balance knob is in the middle. Does anyone have any ideas?

Other than that, looks like it could use a good cleaning of the drop targets since scoring seems a bit weird and they don't always reset. Front ones are the ones that seem the worst, upper bank is a little sticky but seems to reset every time at least.

2 weeks later
#292 8 years ago

My Gorgar used to always get stuck in 04 mode. I to would turn the power on and off to reset it. It would eventually get worse and I'd have to flick the power on and off several times before I could play. Then the score board would only go to 80,000. So I sent my CPU board in to have a professional look at it (300.00). When I got the board back Gorgar worked great. He said that the AA batteries leaked and was causing shorts. He added a new battery holder and wired it so it wasn't on the CPU board anymore. I have the professionals contact info if you like. You can send your board to him or just buy a new CPU board. Hope this helps.
J.R.

#293 8 years ago

The 04 issue actually just ended up being a coin battery on the RottenDog board that needed to be replaced. The big issue now is the speech and display, but it's playable. I need to clean the front drops or something though, because they aren't always registering points or coming back up after being knocked down.

#294 8 years ago

Hey Alejandroid
The issue with the drop targets is usually a simple cleaning and you have to check the solder connections and make sure they are good. I used an eraser to clean the copper strips and all of the contact points but some people use an antioxidant solution of some sort to clean them as well. You probably can find a thread on Pinside about it. I am far from an expert but I have done enough on my machine to give you tips if you need them. So if you have any others just ask. . Vid1900 has a guide for playfield restoration which is awesome for getting tips good luck.1439344353365.jpg1439344353365.jpg

#295 8 years ago

I think they're just getting stuck or something, a good cleaning would definitely help. I noticed that if I have the playfield raised and am testing the drops, they always register. So I'll need to clean them while I'm cleaning other stuff.

#296 8 years ago

I had a long wrestling match with my 1979 gorgar drop targets.

1. used solder
2. used switch parts to better secure the plates on back
3. used deoxit
4. adjusted the horseshoes 2-3x until they were in the best "compromise" position. Far enough out for good contact, Far enough in to fall gracefully and not drag.

-mof

(see pages 3 and 4)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-gorgar-mof-20150301/page/3#post-2412193

#297 8 years ago

Thanks for the info, no doubt it will come in handy.

#298 8 years ago

Good luck

#299 8 years ago

Speech is back, for some reason mine works configured with switch 2 off and switch 1 on. Is that the way it's supposed to be? I know I need a new set of speech roms though, as one of mine had a few broken pins during a clumsy repair session. Is there anywhere that sells them cheaper than ebay?

#300 8 years ago
Quoted from alejandroid:

Speech is back, for some reason mine works configured with switch 2 off and switch 1 on. Is that the way it's supposed to be? I know I need a new set of speech roms though, as one of mine had a few broken pins during a clumsy repair session. Is there anywhere that sells them cheaper than ebay?

I just received some Roms from here very happy with the fast delivery...

http://thatpinballplace.com/eproms/sys37.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 1,799 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.