PXL_20230921_145607720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg
There are 1,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 36.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

armpit-sniffing woman of their dreams.

Armpit-sniffing ?!?!

She's triumphantly kissing his monster TRICEP ! WTF bro...
-mof

#202 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Armpit-sniffing ?!?!
She's triumphantly kissing his monster TRICEP ! WTF bro...
-mof

It's probably been a busy day for this guy, she's definitely getting a whiff of B.O. regardless of what her intentions are.

She could be pushing him into the fire...

Maybe the story is that Gorgar made the girl to lure in warriors and she acts all helpless, but she's really just helping Gorgar collect souls.

#203 9 years ago

Hey mof,

Man, gunna have to make more of a effort while playing this now

#204 9 years ago

Has anyone replaced the eentire Flipper mech assembly on gorgar.
Did you have to invent a new rotation for the assemblies?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/3#post-773606

Mof

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

What's your strategy on Gorgar?

To win.

#208 9 years ago

I try to like the kicker for 15k, right away. Then I shoot for said kicker with the right and I shoot for the spinner/bonus multiplier lanes with the left.

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from pepermintswirl:

I try to like the kicker for 15k, right away. Then I shoot for said kicker with the right and I shoot for the spinner/bonus multiplier lanes with the left.

That's the best I've come up with too. Light the spinner for 1k, shoot that like hell, then shoot the kicker at 15k, rinse and repeat....

#210 9 years ago

Great balance in this game. Still trying to get my first free ball at 300,000
-mof

#211 9 years ago

Are these the most evil outlanes in pinball?
-mof

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

They are. I try not to let the ball near them if I can help it. If the ball gets close, it seems to suck it down fast. In most games the ball will bounce between the in and out lanes, this title it just drains fast without giving you much of a chance to save it.

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

They are. I try not to let the ball near them if I can help it. If the ball gets close, it seems to suck it down fast. In most games the ball will bounce between the in and out lanes, this title it just drains fast without giving you much of a chance to save it.

I wonder why this is. I need to compare them against all my 80's games' outlanes to see if they are truly designed this evil. They sure seem to be by the looks of it.

-mof

#214 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Not even close...

#215 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not even close...

Are they they most evil outlanes in "solid state" pinball?

-mof

#216 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Sorry I mispoke. What's a synonym for "relevant" with regards to pinball, ah yes... I remember now...
Are they they most evil outlanes in "solid state" pinball?
-mof

Could be. I've read your opinion on EMs not being fast and such. Gorgar's layout is actually similar to some of the EMs that came out in the 70s. Some EMs actually play faster. Sometimes it's not all about speed. What really changed with Solid State was they were able to add code that couldn't be accomplished on EMs. Especially on multiplayers.

What was really the game changer as far as speed was going from AC to DC coils. They did this in the latter part of the EM era. Williams with pop bumpers and Gottlieb that went almost fully rectified with the last few games they did. I'm not too sure about Bally.

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Could be. I've read your opinion on EMs not being fast and such. Gorgar's layout is actually similar to some of the EMs that came out in the 70s. Some EMs actually play faster. Sometimes it's not all about speed. What really changed with Solid State was they were able to add code that couldn't be accomplished on EMs. Especially on multiplayers.
What was really the game changer as far as speed was going from AC to DC coils. They did this in the latter part of the EM era. Williams with pop bumpers and Gottlieb that went almost fully rectified with the last few games they did. I'm not too sure about Bally.

Yeah, I think that would be my sweet spot if I ever got my "first" EM -- one with DC coils. Do you know what popular titles come to mind for those?
-mof

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Yeah, I think that would be my sweet spot if I ever got my "first" EM -- one with DC coils. Do you know what popular titles come to mind for those?
-mof

I like to know this also.

#219 9 years ago

Williams Grand Prix is a very fast non stop scoring spree. With normal outlanes with a twist. There is a break in the ball guide that if the ball rolls back from the flipper it can go out. But it can also come back in. The pops are DC, but the flippers and everything else feels just as strong.

Gottlieb Joker Poker is one that I had that plays as fast as almost anything I own. But you might as well go with the solid state one on that. It has the same speed and feel but better rules.

GrandPrix.jpgGrandPrix.jpg

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Gottlieb Joker Poker is one that I had that plays as fast as almost anything I own. But you might as well go with the solid state one on that. It has the same speed and feel but better rules.

Joker Poker should be my first EM. I'm a drop target fiend.

What are the pros and cons to getting it EM though -- My main goals in having one EM would be:

1. history
2. smells
3. sounds
4. art package

Not so much the rules -- can you say what the differences are?
-mof

#221 9 years ago

Mostly price. The EM is rare and very collectable. The art package is almost the same less the face on the center of the EM playfield. As far as rules with the EM once you knock down all the drop targets in one ball, they stay down so all that is left to do is collect the extra ball and the special until the ball ends and then they reset. The solid state is a very affordable machine and resets each bank after you knock them down so you can keep on going. There are a couple of other differences as well.

That being said I still have the solid state and it is my favorite drop target game of that era. It gets played almost daily and never gets old. Great layout, fast, fun, and pretty. Also has EM style chimes. Not the same as the EM, but chimes just the same.

#222 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Mostly price. The EM is rare and very collectable. The art package is almost the same less the face on the center of the EM playfield. As far as rules with the EM once you knock down all the drop targets in one ball, they stay down so all that is left to do is collect the extra ball and the special until the ball ends and then they reset. The solid state is a very affordable machine and resets each bank after you knock them down so you can keep on going. There are a couple of other differences as well.
That being said I still have the solid state and it is my favorite drop target game of that era. It gets played almost daily and never gets old. Great layout, fast, fun, and pretty. Also has EM style chimes. Not the same as the EM, but chimes just the same.

Yeah, I thought about a hybrid, but I love the old-school score wheels. Reminds me oh how gas pumps used to be in the early 70's. Are those "real" chimes in the hybrids?
-mof

#223 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Are those "real" chimes in the hybrids?

Yes they are. It is not the same unit that was in my EM, but more reminded me of a Williams style with a plastic resonator box. It has a different tone. If you want the EM there is nothing wrong with that as Gottlieb made the most solid, well built machines towards the end of the era. Joker Poker EM is big, heavy and solid with four sets of score reels. Most prefer single player games though as the playfield does not have to reset after each ball. There is a big price difference as nice solid state JPs can be had for around $1000.

103371.jpg103371.jpg

#224 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Most prefer single player games though as the playfield does not have to reset after each ball.

Dang, never heard about that one.
-mof

#225 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Has anyone replaced the eentire Flipper mech assembly on gorgar.

Now back to Gorgar... Mine has the upgraded flippers but I will need to look at it and see what was done. i did a similar upgrade on my old Black Knight and it turned out real nice.

#226 9 years ago

All this Gorgar talk has made me go and play mine, but I still have an issue with the game tilting when it goes down the A lane at the top. Has anyone seen anything like this happen on this era machine?

Brian

#227 9 years ago

I just checked the flippers on Gorgar and although the are a lot stronger than another Gorgar I played recently, they look to be rebuilt original. Plenty strong enough for this machine. There are the same mechs they used on the EMs like my Grand Prix but with DC coils. I noticed Grand Prix has DC slingshots as well as the pop bumpers but not flippers. They are also plenty strong.

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just checked the flippers on Gorgar and although the are a lot stronger than another Gorgar I played recently, they look to be rebuilt original. Plenty strong enough for this machine. There are the same mechs they used on the EMs like my Grand Prix but with DC coils. I noticed Grand Prix has DC slingshots as well as the pop bumpers but not flippers. They are also plenty strong.

Hmmm... I wonder which ones have DC flippers?
-mof

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Hmmm... I wonder which ones have DC flippers?

Those would be most of the Gottlieb EMs from 1978. The last year. I think almost every playfield coil is DC on those, which is why Joker Poker plays so fast. It looks like Williams went all DC when they went to solid state although there could be exceptions on the early ones. I do know there is a solid state Grand Prix in existence.

#230 9 years ago

Sold mine but I'm going to look at one tomorrow, should be back in soon.

images.jpgimages.jpg
#231 9 years ago

I'm back in, looks great but has some issues. I made a thread please check it out and let me know if anyone has some advice. Thanks

#232 9 years ago

Do you happen to have a Gorgar that doesn't easily allow you to score D and E via the inlanes?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-gorgar-mof
FIXED.
-mof

#233 9 years ago

Ill read through this thread later...but I am picking up a Gorgar next week and am going to clean it up and try and get it running for a friend...seems when you power game on GI lights come on and 1 flipper works. Ill have more info soon. Any tips/ideas what to look for would be helpful. Usually I start with the power supply.

#234 9 years ago

Hey guys, my Gorgar just started blowing the f2 fuse after I worked on it. Can anybody show me a picture of their under play field flipper assembly and a picture of the back side under play field GOR pop up? I did a flipper rebuild and I need to confirm the coils are on correctly. I also replaced a burned out GOR coil and now have an orange wire coming from the switch behind GOR that came off. I can't figure out where it goes. Now when I start the game all coils fire and the fuse blows. Pictures would help me to figure out everything is on correctly or not.
Thanks

#235 9 years ago

Oh man I rebuilt mine months ago and got the diode the wrong way on one flipper, played 2 games and then on power up all coils locked on and then blew the fuse. Bought all new boards and it done the same thing. It blew the transistor on both boards and had to be replaced. Switched the diode around and now it has been fine.

#236 9 years ago

Yikes, I had my cpu & driver board rebuilt a year ago. Everything looks and tests well. If I take the red wires off of the GOR or GAR coil the fuse won't blow. So I think that's where the problem is. An orange wire on the back of GOR got ripped off. One half of the wire connects to the switch directly behind it, but I can't figure out where the other half goes. I checked GAR's pop ups and they are different having 2 green wires that lead to the bumpers.
My flippers work great with the rebuild (maybe a little louder), but the right flipper coil looks like its in backwards. The wiring isn't against the back plate like the left side is. I'm not sure if I put the coil in backwards or not. I try to make sure everything goes in exactly as found, but now the fuse is blowing.
Thanks for the response.

#237 9 years ago

Ok, so I found a quality photo of the under play field flipper wiring, but can anybody post a picture of the backside of GOR (under play field)?

#238 9 years ago

Let me know if you need a different angle or something.

IMG_20150315_003528.jpgIMG_20150315_003528.jpg IMG_20150315_003607.jpgIMG_20150315_003607.jpg
#239 9 years ago

Thanks Pinballdork, your the man. I love this site. It looks like that orange wire comes off the switch and connects to the other 2 orange for a total of 3 orange wires soldered together.

#240 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I cant help but notice that the overall "artistic" and simplicity of this game seems to be more "pure" of a pinball game compared to today's photoshopped efforts.

+2

#241 9 years ago

Just finished installing new flipper mechs with a 28v dc coils in there.

W O W !!!

This game has come alive. I'm smashing down middle targets and sweeping the upper banks. I'm destroying the spinner.

It was quite easy... first game I've ever done flipper mech swaps on without lower voltage switches on the assembly.

Only had to molex 4 single wires on the PF.

If you haven't upgraded the flipper mechs, I can't recommend it enough.

Purists won't like it, since it REALLY makes the flippers stronger and more responsive, like all my other games feel. If you want the game slower, sloggy and limpy, leave it alone.

PICS
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-gorgar-mof-20150301#post-2316513

-mof

#242 9 years ago

You can order the kits pre-made from Terry at PBL. That's the best route.
Be sure you are ready to go with molex'ing as well.
With Terry's site you simply order the L and R brackets and the whole assembly, then there's a drop-down menu for the correct coil, and then you EMAIL him that you want a specific switch type on there instead.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-club/page/6#post-1019065
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=262&parent=0
The coils should be: Williams SFL-19-400/30-750 Flipper Coil

-mof

#243 9 years ago

Thanks Mof, on my list of things to do to my Gorgar!

#245 9 years ago

Cleaning up a Gorgar for a friend....Cleaned lots of pf on newer pins...best method on gorgar? Novus 2? magic eraser bad on this pf?

Thanks

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Cleaning up a Gorgar for a friend....Cleaned lots of pf on newer pins...best method on gorgar? Novus 2? magic eraser bad on this pf?
Thanks

If you do use those products on an old solid state PF, the best advice is to clear the playfield afterwards, since IPA and ME remove the clear.

I did not use any IPA on my Gorgar, it looks to have no clear left, and it's really flat and dry looking to me.

-mof

#249 9 years ago

Thanks.

I need to order some Locks. Does gorgar take 7/8 or longer lock? Not sure If a standard pin lock works in a older Williams coin door.

#250 9 years ago

I did some more elective surgery on Gorgar tonight.

I made the lower left "cave" shot much smoother on entry and exit.

I also added more GI to a few spots to brighten up the game.

Enjoy...
-mof

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-gorgar-mof-20150301#post-2335552

201503-Gor-brighter-overall.jpg201503-Gor-brighter-overall.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 1,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.