PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg
20230716_181914 (resized).jpg
There are 1,794 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 36.
#1451 2 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

Pretty sure it was caused by replacing a bad coil with a brand new replacement coil that turned out to be bad as well.
History: Game was working fine and then GAR drops stopped resetting. Fixed a lose wire in target assembly. All good. Then, a few days later had fluttering right flipper. Could see coil wires in middle lug had separated from lug and so I ordered two new replacement coils. Switched bad coil to one of the new ones and game was working again. A day or two later I encountered the issue with the right flipper causing “Gorgar” to be spoken each time I released the flipper button. Spent way too much time diagnosing the target assemblies, boards, and looking for possible spilled solder on the wires. Finally, I thought could this be a problem with the brand new coil as I was desperate. Switched to the other new flipper coil and now game is working again. Two days later, and still working, but I am not yet past the “nervous” stage.

Do you remember which wire was loose? I'm having an issue where the Gar targets aren't resetting when I start a game and they do not reset when I manually raise and then trigger each to go down. Score works, its just the coil is not firing. I replaced the coil, but still same issue. I saw this post and thought maybe I'm encountering the same thing. I did blow a fuse recently because I hooked up the old coil wrong against the diode, but with the fuse replaced all the solenoids seem to fire except this one...Gor drops seem to work fine...

#1452 2 years ago
Quoted from scampa123:

Do you remember which wire was loose? I'm having an issue where the Gar targets aren't resetting when I start a game and they do not reset when I manually raise and then trigger each to go down. Score works, its just the coil is not firing. I replaced the coil, but still same issue. I saw this post and thought maybe I'm encountering the same thing. I did blow a fuse recently because I hooked up the old coil wrong against the diode, but with the fuse replaced all the solenoids seem to fire except this one...Gor drops seem to work fine...

Have you tried to see if the solenoid coil resetting the targets fires when using the solenoid diagnostic software buttons in the coin door of the machine? If the target reset coil does not fire when using the test software, then the problem could be caused by the reset coil dynamics and not the target dynamics. In other words, it could be the target reset coil assembly itself or the components/connections in the boards associated with signaling and powering the target reset coil to fire.

As to which wires on the target board, frankly, because there are so many wires that are attached to the board, I focused on just manually testing the wires to see which ones felt loose until I found a few that were loose and resoldered them. Later, though, I found the attached image on the internet and it provides some guidance as to what each of the wires do (note that it is for an assembly with 4 targets and not three, but I still found it helpful). As you can see, there is much daisy chaining to signal the status of each drop target within the set and the status of the set of three, so a manual check of the wires is likely needed even with the knowledge from this image (for example, if any one of the individual drop target wires are not signaling that the specific drop target is down, then the game will never think that all three have been completed in the set and not reset the targets).

However, I am leaning toward thinking your issue involves the coil dynamics as even if there is a loose target board wire or wires, my game would still reset all the targets at game start. The game likely does not seek out the target status and just signals the target coils to fire at game start to reset the targets, so if yours are not resetting when you start a new game, sounds like a target coil dynamics issue and not a target issue to me (or you may possibly have both but need to resolve the coil issue first).
HPSCAN_20220207192852131_2022-02-07_192939485.pdfHPSCAN_20220207192852131_2022-02-07_192939485.pdf

#1453 2 years ago

I ordered a set of these replacement boards to rebuild both drop target banks. They simplify the wiring and have the diodes built on. Also new horseshoe contacts and targets. I'll post here how it went when I'm done. Hard Top to install first.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1B-2001-AK02

#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I ordered a set of these replacement boards to rebuild both drop target banks. They simplify the wiring and have the diodes built on. Also new horseshoe contacts and targets. I'll post here how it went when I'm done. Hard Top to install first.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1B-2001-AK02

The williams drop targets are not the best. When I did my Gorgar I had to do the same thing, the only part was old was the metal case.

#1455 2 years ago

Who’s done this? Gorgar Flipper up grade.

1DA85FD4-E2B0-4C10-AC36-983D370D8FB1 (resized).jpeg1DA85FD4-E2B0-4C10-AC36-983D370D8FB1 (resized).jpeg81089E63-04B9-4D23-A2E7-64A7342E2469 (resized).jpeg81089E63-04B9-4D23-A2E7-64A7342E2469 (resized).jpeg
#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I have. Did it on my Flash, too. Game-changing; it’s so much more fun to actually play the game, rather than play 5-10 games then take the glass off to adjust switch gaps again. Big thanks to vid1900 for the thread on how to get it done right!

#1457 2 years ago

I think Gorgar is the Perfect game to play faster. The floating ball and bouncy flippers get old after a whiles…lol

#1458 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

[quoted image]

I have, the first picture is of me doing it on my playfield swap. Still working great BTW

#1459 2 years ago

Yes, thanks for the pic! I will be following it closely! I just ordered new black “W” flipper bats, green titans flipper rings and quick connectors.

#1460 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Yes, thanks for the pic! I will be following it closely! I just ordered new black “W” flipper bats, green titans flipper rings and quick connectors.

Yeah...I really should do quick connectors more on my setups...would've been real nice for the drop targets but they didn't have much slack. If you want some different angles just let me know.

#1461 2 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Yeah...I really should do quick connectors more on my setups...would've been real nice for the drop targets but they didn't have much slack. If you want some different angles just let me know.

Thanks, also adding a bit more wire for slack. Most coils you see with shitty Solder jobs on the lugs is from people trying to solder in the vertical position. Get that Badboy on your work bench. I suck at it. Not gonna lie. Jajaja….

#1462 2 years ago

Hey everyone, weird issue: I’ve just put the new Siegecraft target contacts into my GOR target area. They seem to register, but the O target won’t score points. It DOES register in some way, tho, seemingly; when they’re all down, they get reset, and 5000pts are awarded. Just not the 1000pts for initially hitting the target down.

I’ve checked the connections, and reflowed solder; no dice.

Any ideas?

#1463 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Already ordered them, doing it as soon as Hard Top is complete.

#1464 2 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Hey everyone, weird issue: I’ve just put the new Siegecraft target contacts into my GOR target area. They seem to register, but the O target won’t score points. It DOES register in some way, tho, seemingly; when they’re all down, they get reset, and 5000pts are awarded. Just not the 1000pts for initially hitting the target down.
Any ideas?

Haven't installed mine yet! Wonder if you have a defective board. I'd contact Siegecraft.

Added over 2 years ago:

See below...

#1465 2 years ago

I had a similar problem with my GOR drop targets, they would drop. register score but wouldn't reset. Most times it's a dirty set of points. I used an electrical spray cleaner with the tube, sprayed the points inside the assembly, worked targets up and down and haven't had a problem since. Oxidation and dirt are a big problem.

#1466 2 years ago
Quoted from Moeman65:

I had a similar problem with my GOR drop targets, they would drop. register score but wouldn't reset. Most times it's a dirty set of points. I used an electrical spray cleaner with the tube, sprayed the points inside the assembly, worked targets up and down and haven't had a problem since. Oxidation and dirt are a big problem.

I just gave up on my siegecraft ones and replaced them with NMP-3's. Likely no issue with the boards themselves, I just got sick of having to continually tweak everything.

Even then I still get an issue sometimes. A target registers with a nearby pop bumper on occasion which can cause the G to prematurely register as down and complete the bank. Though I'd rather have an eager register than one that won't.

#1467 2 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

I just gave up on my siegecraft ones and replaced them with NMP-3's. Likely no issue with the boards themselves, I just got sick of having to continually tweak everything.
Even then I still get an issue sometimes. A target registers with a nearby pop bumper on occasion which can cause the G to prematurely register as down and complete the bank. Though I'd rather have an eager register than one that won't.

Damnit!!
Now I have to return the Siegecraft boards and horseshoe contacts because this NMP system is waaay better! Thanks for the heads up!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-for-those-williams-horseshoe-sliders
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system3-6-drop-target-replacement-bords-nmp-sensors-vids-review

I ordered new drop targets from Marco. Do the magnets ship with the NMP-3 boards and will they work with new drop targets?
Thanks!

** Replacement System 3-7 Drop Target Guides here...
https://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=79&controller=product&id_lang=1

#1468 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Damnit!!
Now I have to return the Siegecraft boards and horseshoe contacts because this NMP system is waaay better! Thanks for the heads up!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-for-those-williams-horseshoe-sliders
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system3-6-drop-target-replacement-bords-nmp-sensors-vids-review
I ordered new drop targets from Marco. Do the magnets ship with the NMP-3 boards and will they work with new drop targets?
Thanks!
** Replacement System 3-7 Drop Target Guides here...
https://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=79&controller=product&id_lang=1

I ordered through pinside, not Marco but I did get magnets with mine. You end up having to super glue or epoxy them to the drop target. So I'd imagine they'll work with new ones as well.

#1469 2 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

I ordered through pinside, not Marco but I did get magnets with mine. You end up having to super glue or epoxy them to the drop target. So I'd imagine they'll work with new ones as well.

Thanks.
Yes, I learned that the magnets come with the NMP-3 boards and the new drop targets I ordered from Marco are the same as original. Also, I learned on Pinside that the best way to glue these magnets to the targets is with VHB 3M Adhesive Double-Sided Pads. These stick like crazy and offer a cushion to the epoxy so it doesn't shatter from the impact vibrations.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Double-Sided-Permanent-Long-Term-Durability/dp/B00GTA9JK2/ref=sr_1_14

#1470 2 years ago

Where can you buy new CPU ROMs for Gorgar? I don't want to buy old used ones on ebay.
Thanks.

#1471 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Did this today to my players condition Gorgar. Huge upgrade IMO. Makes the game play soo much better.

20220213_140339 (resized).jpg20220213_140339 (resized).jpg20220213_140343 (resized).jpg20220213_140343 (resized).jpg20220213_140353 (resized).jpg20220213_140353 (resized).jpg20220213_140525 (resized).jpg20220213_140525 (resized).jpg
#1472 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Did this today to my players condition Gorgar. Huge upgrade IMO. Makes the game play soo much better.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, let’s see a picture from above the flippers. I wanna see the angle that you did from the return guides.

#1473 2 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

I will never go back to anything other than NMP. So easy and reliable. Great product.

#1474 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, I should really do this. Looked into years ago, completely forgot what I need to order.

#1475 2 years ago

I can program the Gorgar Roms on new amd eproms . Contact me.

#1476 2 years ago

#1477 2 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Any ideas?

Hey everyone, just following up on this: I contacted Siegecraft, they got back to me super-fast. Hans took a look at a photo of my install, and noticed a problem not with the wiring, but one of the diodes on the board. Seems it got banged around in shipping or something, so it had come up just slightly from the board. A touch of solder, and BAM, board works perfectly

Great customer service, and the product works wonderfully! Just wanted to follow up, in case anyone else runs into this issue...

#1478 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Nice, let’s see a picture from above the flippers. I wanna see the angle that you did from the return guides.

Thanks. They are basically just straight from the guides. I'll snap a picture tonight after work.

#1479 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Thanks. They are basically just straight from the guides. I'll snap a picture tonight after work.

Can You Sweep the GOR targets now?

#1480 2 years ago

Can someone post a picture of the Gorgar coin door service switch wiring (for the 3 buttons)? I'm missing the diode on the High Score Reset button as shown in the schematic. Does your machine have this?
Thanks!!
Score Reset  (resized).pngScore Reset (resized).png

#1481 2 years ago

Not the best part pics but they should help. Diode on yellow wire going to center tab on high score switch with band on switch end

PXL_20220215_132540920 (resized).jpgPXL_20220215_132540920 (resized).jpgPXL_20220215_132555343 (resized).jpgPXL_20220215_132555343 (resized).jpg
#1482 2 years ago

Thank you!!

#1483 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Nice, let’s see a picture from above the flippers.

Here you go. And to answer your question about sweeping GOR, I've only been able to get two of the three so far.

20220216_195308~2 (resized).jpg20220216_195308~2 (resized).jpg
#1484 2 years ago

My Gorgar is experiencing a SOUND issue (everything else is now working great). I have tried to describe the issue in detail below in the hopes of receiving some guidance as to what to check (my suspicion is that it is likely the wires/connection to one of the boards, but which connection based on the below information). Thanks, in advance, for any help.

- Sound and speech work fine at start of game, but at some point during play I will lose the correct sounds and it will REVERT TO A "TICKING" sound to acknowledge hits and count down bonus.

- Even after the above happening, all sound and speech will be fine for the start of the next ball until it eventually reverts to the ticking sounds instead via hitting one of the culprit features that change the sound to ticks.

- There is no obvious pattern of one or certain targets/rollovers/features that always lead to the sound changing to ticks (e.g. not located in a specific row or column in the switch matrix), but certain ones seem to be the culprit at times and it varies from ball to ball (the list of possible culprits has been at times any of the top A-B-C rollovers, 1-2-3-4 targets, and/or eject hole).

- Sometimes the likely culprit listed above will provide the correct sound, but other times it will initiate the ticking.

- All of the following features will work fine and provide the correct sounds (up until hitting a culprit feature causes the switch to ticking sounds) - all four bottom rollovers, GOR and GAR target sets, kickers, spinner, bumpers, and switch contacts on playfield behind rubbers.

- All sounds work fine (a) when using the board test button to test the sound board, (b) when testing the sounds via the coin door software diagnostics or (c) when testing the individual sound board pins, so I don't think it is a sound board issue (it's a new sound board).

- All switches and sounds work fine when using the software diagnostic test, or when testing the individual pins in the J2, J3 and J9 connections of the driver board (it's a new driver board).

So, is this likely an issue with the wire connectors that go to the boards? If so, is it likely J2, J3 or J9 on the driver board, or one of the sound board connections or something else given the info described above?

#1485 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Not the best part pics but they should help. Diode on yellow wire going to center tab on high score switch with band on switch end

Yup, the wires were wrong and also missing the diode. This caused system to not boot. Rewired from scratch off schematic and installed diode. System boots now.

1 week later
#1486 2 years ago

Hey guys I have a lamp row 7 issue where all are lit but lamp 39 left pop bumper during normal game play. Where is the suspected issue starting at? Would it be starting at lamp 31? I will have to look when I get home but I dont believe the lights are ghosted on while in attract mode. Ill have to check on that but what do you guys think?

Thanks Ryan
D1BF2CD2-0524-4454-86D4-28BE3BB8ED45 (resized).jpegD1BF2CD2-0524-4454-86D4-28BE3BB8ED45 (resized).jpeg

#1487 2 years ago

Added bridge rectifier fuses and a special solenoid fuse board to Gorgar.

20220228_200858 (resized).jpg20220228_200858 (resized).jpg20220228_201034 (resized).jpg20220228_201034 (resized).jpg
#1488 2 years ago

How far did you space the special solenoid board off the back? Hard to tell from the pics

Love the easy to read labels - was the typo intentional?

#1489 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

How far did you space the special solenoid board off the back? Hard to tell from the pics
Love the easy to read labels - was the typo intentional?

LOL! No, my A.D.D kicked in again!
Here's a better pic.
FYI, you can no longer buy the kit. Just the PCB. So you have to order the fuse clips, fuses and male header pin and install yourself. Also, I made up my own wiring harness as I have a crimp too and female connectors, Trifurcon crimps and plastic blank pins. I used 22 gauge wire with associated 22 gauge crimps.
https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-sss.html
DSCN0320 (resized).JPGDSCN0320 (resized).JPGDSCN0321 (resized).JPGDSCN0321 (resized).JPG

Added 14 months ago:

I meant to say 20 AWG wire not 22 AWG.

#1490 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Added bridge rectifier fuses and a special solenoid fuse board to Gorgar.

Cool...now what does that protect? I remember when my driver PCB caught on fire years ago during a party (Think I actually sent it to him for repair (unrepairable)).

#1491 2 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Cool...now what does that protect? I remember when my driver PCB caught on fire years ago during a party (Think I actually sent it to him for repair (unrepairable)).

LOL!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-945742

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-solenoid-saver-board-for-wms-3-7

#1492 2 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

My Gorgar is experiencing a SOUND issue (everything else is now working great). I have tried to describe the issue in detail below in the hopes of receiving some guidance as to what to check (my suspicion is that it is likely the wires/connection to one of the boards, but which connection based on the below information). Thanks, in advance, for any help.
- Sound and speech work fine at start of game, but at some point during play I will lose the correct sounds and it will REVERT TO A "TICKING" sound to acknowledge hits and count down bonus.
- Even after the above happening, all sound and speech will be fine for the start of the next ball until it eventually reverts to the ticking sounds instead via hitting one of the culprit features that change the sound to ticks.
- There is no obvious pattern of one or certain targets/rollovers/features that always lead to the sound changing to ticks (e.g. not located in a specific row or column in the switch matrix), but certain ones seem to be the culprit at times and it varies from ball to ball (the list of possible culprits has been at times any of the top A-B-C rollovers, 1-2-3-4 targets, and/or eject hole).
- Sometimes the likely culprit listed above will provide the correct sound, but other times it will initiate the ticking.
- All of the following features will work fine and provide the correct sounds (up until hitting a culprit feature causes the switch to ticking sounds) - all four bottom rollovers, GOR and GAR target sets, kickers, spinner, bumpers, and switch contacts on playfield behind rubbers.
- All sounds work fine (a) when using the board test button to test the sound board, (b) when testing the sounds via the coin door software diagnostics or (c) when testing the individual sound board pins, so I don't think it is a sound board issue (it's a new sound board).
- All switches and sounds work fine when using the software diagnostic test, or when testing the individual pins in the J2, J3 and J9 connections of the driver board (it's a new driver board).
So, is this likely an issue with the wire connectors that go to the boards? If so, is it likely J2, J3 or J9 on the driver board, or one of the sound board connections or something else given the info described above?

If you can't figure it out, I'd sell the sound and speech board on on ebay and buy a new one. Kohout make a sound/speech combo board.
http://pinballpcb.com/products/williams-system-6-7-sound-and-speech-combo/

#1494 2 years ago

Ha...Well, that answers that lol. I burned a quarter sized hole in my driver PCB.

Yes, I decided to sell the original Gorgar boards on eBay and buy a new Rottendog board because of exactly this reason. Quarter sized holes burned through board. Amazing how bad a transistor can crater!

#1495 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Looks like I'm getting a Gorgar this weekend!
A vocabulary of seven words: Gorgar, Speaks, Beat, You, Me, Hurt, Got for different phrases."
.. Now, just imagine the fun we could have if you could add just one more word like ""Butt" to the mix!

The Pinball Technologies NW7 can make all of your Gorgar butt dreams come true. Well, if they are in stock. He is having supply shortages like everyone else. Sounds are swappable, just like Pinsound.
41F86EF7-7D03-4DAE-B8E6-DA1290718678 (resized).jpeg41F86EF7-7D03-4DAE-B8E6-DA1290718678 (resized).jpeg

#1497 2 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

The Pinball Technologies NW7 can make all of your Gorgar butt dreams come true. Well, if they are in stock. He is having supply shortages like everyone else. Sounds are swappable, just like Pinsound.
[quoted image]

Do tell, please describe these "Gorgar butt dreams", you have sparked my curiosity lol

#1498 2 years ago

Just found the old thread showing my board burn, not a quarter sized hole as I thought, but a much larger burn area. Few good pics of it in the thread. (Andrews replacement board has been rock solid ever since).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-you-love-when-things-like-this-happen

#1499 2 years ago

Do tell, please describe these "Gorgar butt dreams", you have sparked my curiosity lol

Well...I mean...you know

#1500 2 years ago

Quoted from Irishbastard:Just found the old thread showing my board burn, not a quarter sized hole as I thought, but a much larger burn area. Few good pics of it in the thread. (Andrews replacement board has been rock solid ever since).
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-you-love-when-things-like-this-happen

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 1,794 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying/page/30?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.