PXL_20230921_145607720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg
There are 1,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 36.
#801 5 years ago

Unpredictable and erratic behavior like that usually indicates a bad power problem. Unfortunately there's no ROM test for that as having a good power supply is a minimum requirement for running any CPU chip properly. Got to have enough blood in the veins so to speak. Do you still have the old CPU board? It would be interesting to find out exactly what the problem was with it.

#802 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Unpredictable and erratic behavior like that usually indicates a bad power problem. Unfortunately there's no ROM test for that as having a good power supply is a minimum requirement for running any CPU chip properly. Got to have enough blood in the veins so to speak. Do you still have the old CPU board? It would be interesting to find out exactly what the problem was with it.

Yeah, that's the funny part. I came to the same conclusion and bought a new swemmer power board first thing. I knew the power supply was in pretty good need of replacement/recap. The behavior was unchanged with the new power board though.

I kept the old CPU board. Not sure what to do with it though. Is there a good means of bench testing it? I know the pins and connector between my CPU and driver board were re-done not too long ago, so I don't suspect I have any issues there, would be a shame to not be able to use it after all that work.

#803 5 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

s there a good means of bench testing it?

Yeah, you can pretty easily make or buy simple test tools to bench test the cpu and driver boards. I included a link to some at the bottom. I used an ATX pc power supply with an led board to run Leon's test ROM.

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_category=12&controller=category&id_lang=1

#804 5 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Yeah, that's the funny part. I came to the same conclusion and bought a new swemmer power board first thing. I knew the power supply was in pretty good need of replacement/recap. The behavior was unchanged with the new power board though.
I kept the old CPU board. Not sure what to do with it though. Is there a good means of bench testing it? I know the pins and connector between my CPU and driver board were re-done not too long ago, so I don't suspect I have any issues there, would be a shame to not be able to use it after all that work.

This thread also shows some addtional info on the power issue:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-5-volt-low#post-4593333

I always keep my old boards for parts, or in the event that I may one day want to refurbish them. If you don't want to keep it, I'd be interested in testing it myself to see if I could find the problem.

#805 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

This thread also shows some addtional info on the power issue:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-5-volt-low#post-4593333
I always keep my old boards for parts, or in the event that I may one day want to refurbish them. If you don't want to keep it, I'd be interested in testing it myself to see if I could find the problem.

Actually, I'm glad you linked that too. My big cap I'm thinking is also looking pretty old and I noticed unusual light dimming on my play field lamps during one of my games a few days ago...That fuse based bridge rectifier seems like a much better option than just swapping out the large cap

4 weeks later
#806 5 years ago

Gorgar fans !! Getting close to a masterpiece! Thanks to Chris Hot Rod Plating , Jeff pinball pimp cabinet Stencils Chris Hutchins
Restoring a nos playfield, Marco, pin pro
CPR plastics , Backglass,

Can’t wait to play it, I remember as a kid
10yrs old and the game made so much
Money it filled the coin box and wouldn’t take anymore quarters!!!

62804ED5-B3B7-44CA-A85D-1A2DF9C645BA (resized).jpeg62804ED5-B3B7-44CA-A85D-1A2DF9C645BA (resized).jpegAD5DF1AA-18C5-4E8D-8687-0DFD80546FD3 (resized).jpegAD5DF1AA-18C5-4E8D-8687-0DFD80546FD3 (resized).jpeg
#807 5 years ago

Hot damn that looks nice! I'm waiting on reproduction playfields to be run before I do too much to mine. Wish there was a way to know how close that list is from being filled...

#808 5 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Hot damn that looks nice! I'm waiting on reproduction playfields to be run before I do too much to mine. Wish there was a way to know how close that list is from being filled...

Agree on all counts. That restoration looks fantastic!! And I'm also waiting on a CPR playfield to start a restoration. Love this game and it always brings me back to my childhood in the early 80's playing it at a local arcade.

2 weeks later
#809 5 years ago

Anyone have any update from CPR and the playfield run?

-Rev

#810 5 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

Anyone have any update from CPR and the playfield run?
-Rev

I’m dying to hear

#811 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m dying to hear

Will buy one in a second if they are announced/released. I wonder how many “interests” they need before committing to build? Makes me want to commit to buy 2-3 just to get the one I need.

#812 5 years ago

I think Gorgar is on the chopping block at my house, so I'm liable to drop out of the CPR interest list before it happens...

This was supposed to be my first game fully restored to new condition, but I need the space and the theme is a bit hard to explain to my toddler who is starting to become afraid of things. My daughter now understands the concept of "hurt", and it will be difficult to explain that Gorgar won't really hurt her even though he says that...

Ugh... I have to think about these kinds of things now...

#813 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I think Gorgar is on the chopping block at my house, so I'm liable to drop out of the CPR interest list before it happens...
This was supposed to be my first game fully restored to new condition, but I need the space and the theme is a bit hard to explain to my toddler who is starting to become afraid of things. My daughter now understands the concept of "hurt", and it will be difficult to explain that Gorgar won't really hurt her even though he says that...
Ugh... I have to think about these kinds of things now...

Alternatively I guess you could just change the voice audio mix down to nothing :p

#814 5 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Alternatively I guess you could just change the voice audio mix down to nothing :p

Indeed. The game is fun even with no speech.

#815 5 years ago

I was checking out the CPR Playfield website and it looks like Gorgar is in the preorder phase. Am I looking at it correctly? I thought they had previously just been gauging interest... but i sent an email with the preorder button and got an automatic reply telling me they would let me know when the time comes to pay for my order.

Is it finally here? Ok, realize the next phase still may take quite a while, but it feels closer at least.

#816 5 years ago

I think it’s the same as it had been for a while? I’m not sure but it seems like it’s been stuck here a while.

#817 5 years ago

Nope. It's the same just looks different because of the new web site. I like the old site better.

I noticed the price says $750. Seems like it was cheaper before. Guess we've been on preorder so long the price increases. Maybe I'm wrong. Anybody remember?

#818 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Nope. It's the same just looks different because of the new web site. I like the old site better.
I noticed the price says $750. Seems like it was cheaper before. Guess we've been on preorder so long the price increases. Maybe I'm wrong. Anybody remember?

Thanks for clarifying that. Memory wasn't the best I'm sure, but I didn't realize it was at pre-order status before. And you're right... old site was a bit easier to navigate and figure out.

#819 5 years ago

The more I think about it I'm sure the price wasn't $750. It did go up since the list started.

#820 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

The more I think about it I'm sure the price wasn't $750. It did go up since the list started.

I have to look but I think it was $600'ish....... I've been on that list for over 2 years now and thinking about letting my Gorgar go its been so long....

#821 5 years ago

Do you get the price it was when you signed up? I guess it can't really be proven, though... isn't part of signing up doing so under the conditions that you're willing to pay the price you see at the time you sign up?

I recall it being maybe 650 for pre-order and 699 after?

2 weeks later
#822 5 years ago

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/gorgarplastics/

Gorgar plastics now out of mothballs on the CPR website. As far as I could tell, these haven't been in stock at any of the usual suppliers for quite some time. Now just need to get that playfield into production and we will be all set!!

#823 5 years ago

Oh no. I thought this was good news. I already have a Mayfair backglass and the CPR plastics waiting. Still stuck on playfield.

#824 5 years ago

So, I have an odd problem that I haven't debugged yet. On occasion, I'll hit a bumper or a slingshot or some other solenoid fires, and I hear a soft knock and get another credit. I haven't had to add credits to my Gorgar for months now. Anyone seen this before? Have I inadvertently set my replay to something ridiculously low?

#825 5 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

So, I have an odd problem that I haven't debugged yet. On occasion, I'll hit a bumper or a slingshot or some other solenoid fires, and I hear a soft knock and get another credit. I haven't had to add credits to my Gorgar for months now. Anyone seen this before? Have I inadvertently set my replay to something ridiculously low?

If you, or you know someone who does, have access to a chip burner and some EPROMs you can try these tests out. In particular the solenoids test will allow you fire each one at a time and by doing so you might be able to diagnose the problem.

There's a complete set there so you can test the whole machine, including the CMOS and RAM chips, which could also be suspect.

Here's where you can get details: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

let me know if you have any questions or need more help

1 month later
#826 5 years ago

I'm sure it's been brought u before, but...flipper upgrade? Can I use Space Shuttle setup? These things are weak...

#827 5 years ago

Vid has a thread on upgrading Williams flippers with fliptronics mechs from pinball life. A+ would recommend.

#828 5 years ago

I keep waiting until my eventual playfield swap before I switch mine. Guess I'll keep waiting >.>

#829 5 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

I keep waiting until my eventual playfield swap before I switch mine. Guess I'll keep waiting >.>

I think we need to start a new club... “Waiting for Gorgar playfield Club”. I’d be a charter member for sure.

#830 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I think we need to start a new club... “Waiting for Gorgar playfield Club”. I’d be a charter member for sure.

Right behind me.

#831 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Right behind me.

I think we’d have lots of company. Unfortunately not enough to get CPR to move this to actual production yet.

#832 5 years ago

I’m in the club finally

#833 5 years ago

Play field please

#834 5 years ago

Quick question for the club. What is a good adjustment for the flippers? If I align the flippers with the alignment holes, it makes it difficult to trap a ball against the flippers and the rails. If I adjust the flippers upward the skill shots - capture hole and spinner become almost impossible.

Thanks.

#835 5 years ago

This is how I have mine aligned and I can hit all the shots.
Hope this helps.

John

D27FF777-5485-45B8-AE74-BDC0F7CB64D7 (resized).jpegD27FF777-5485-45B8-AE74-BDC0F7CB64D7 (resized).jpeg
#836 5 years ago

Thanks. You have them aligned just slightly above the alignment holes. I will give that a try. Right now mine are centered on the alignment hole.

#837 5 years ago

My understanding is that you put like a toothpick in the hole and that is the alignment height. Basically along the bottom edge of the flipper bat. Also, make sure the EOS switch gap is exactly 1/8 inch when the flipper is up. It makes a huge difference if that is not the gap.

#838 5 years ago

If I use a toothpick for alignment, it feels like the flippers are set too high. If I center the flipper on the alignment hole the play feels right, but it is hard to pin a ball against the return rail. The flipper mechanics have a 1/4 inch core coil stop - later William's games had shorter cores - which allowed for the flipper shaft to insert further into the coil. Would a later coil stop work? I think the only issue might be screw alignment on the flipper bracket.

#839 5 years ago

Gorgar is supposed to be difficult to trap on - it's a shallower flipper than many of the early 80s era. If you want to be able to cradle easier - replace the coil stop with a shallower stop from any of the major pinball part retailers.

As noted above - correct use of the holes is to put a pin/toothpick in the hole, hold the flipper to it (the plastic, not the rubber) and tighten. This is exactly as the user above has their flippers set.

#840 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Gorgar is supposed to be difficult to trap on - it's a shallower flipper than many of the early 80s era. If you want to be able to cradle easier - replace the coil stop with a shallower stop from any of the major pinball part retailers.
As noted above - correct use of the holes is to put a pin/toothpick in the hole, hold the flipper to it (the plastic, not the rubber) and tighten. This is exactly as the user above has their flippers set.

Doesn't that give it a bit of ball bounce on it's way to the flipper? At least it seems that way on mine.

#841 5 years ago

Your guides are likely worn down. Cliffy makes replacements that will give you a smooth transition like new.

#842 5 years ago

I got Todd Tuckey getting my Gorgar ready, very excited to get my game in the house. Will have it soon, he’s making a video of the game. I’ll post when he send me the link. Great guy, really liked dealing with him!

#843 5 years ago

I just read through all 17 pages and still no CPR playfield...

#844 5 years ago

I'm looking to sell my Gorgar. Any advice on pricing is appreciated. Basically it's all working, but PF and BG are pretty bad. Cabinet is ok. On the PF, a previous owner put down full mylar on top of a dirty PF, and a lot of paint peeled off during removal. I'd say consider it a working player's game that looks pretty bad.

I have PPS Repro BG and CPR plastics, but figure I'd relatively try to recapture the price of those if the buyer wanted them. Otherwise they're not taking up much space, so I can hold on to them.

#845 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Your guides are likely worn down. Cliffy makes replacements that will give you a smooth transition like new.

Yeah...I'm using them already. I think my playfield is a bit worn. I can't get them to hold in the right spot. Right flipper isn't bad, but the left one gets some hop.

#846 5 years ago

Are your flipper mechs tight or can you move the flippers from the top of the playfield? You may have worn bushings. Another thing you can try is loosening the screws, putting some pressure on the guides so they are positioned better, and tightening the screws while you have hand pressure on them. If your screw holes are wallowed it you can do the toothpick trick. Make sure you put the toothpick on the worn side, probably the bottom.

#847 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm looking to sell my Gorgar. Any advice on pricing is appreciated. Basically it's all working, but PF and BG are pretty bad. Cabinet is ok. On the PF, a previous owner put down full mylar on top of a dirty PF, and a lot of paint peeled off during removal. I'd say consider it a working player's game that looks pretty bad.
I have PPS Repro BG and CPR plastics, but figure I'd relatively try to recapture the price of those if the buyer wanted them. Otherwise they're not taking up much space, so I can hold on to them.

Sounds like about $500 without the new backglass and plastics. To bad the new playfields are not out yet.

#848 5 years ago

I had some reset issues recently. I could slap both flippers and reset on demand. I pulled my power board and realized that I hadn't replaced the big diodes, although I had bought the beefier replacements. A few minutes of soldering, and Gorgar was eating souls again.

#849 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Sounds like about $500 without the new backglass and plastics. To bad the new playfields are not out yet.

Hard to say what the market will support, but i suspect it will sell fairly quickly if listed at $500. Probably leaving money on the table, but descriptions aren’t as good as photos so it’s hard to say for sure and if truly as bad as you are saying, then $500 might be fair. I paid almost double that for one in decent shape... but not a great one. “Pretty bad” means different things to different people. I want to replace my PF and BG as soon as they have a CPR playfield out... but that doesn’t mean it’s bad, just not as perfect as I’d like.

Post some pics maybe?

#850 5 years ago

So couldn't we find someone from CPR, here in pinside, and ask them nicely on some insight regarding Gorgar playfields?

-Rev

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying/page/17?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.