Topic Stats

• 937 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by Joydivision
  • Topic is favorited by 58 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 313 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5416 (resized).jpg
IMG_5415 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_5522 (resized).JPG
1ACC33B5-8C38-4CC0-AB83-19D0C098CD99 (resized).jpeg
6210426F-97D8-4417-B8B5-3D95C70682BE (resized).jpeg
FC47DFBF-575E-42B7-AF31-2782DB16B7DA (resized).jpeg
CB859914-4F3E-412E-A9BD-50BAE9836F11 (resized).jpeg
4628F466-FA6A-42A9-8A53-509DCCA0366A (resized).jpeg
5E7EB587-0165-448F-8AA5-7B196F75B2E6 (resized).jpeg
A0472F25-1E6B-4B25-B05A-3A8994CA586E (resized).jpeg
0EE20BD5-68E6-497F-AE9C-A7DE303A839D (resized).jpeg
718014F8-8081-4D54-8F8A-9F7A6BC47215 (resized).jpeg
E3FF2C8E-81F9-4C67-AFFE-302EDC5A79C2 (resized).jpeg
E72B52B4-AE5F-4C9B-B0C2-874EF9B5AE0A (resized).jpeg
Gorgar Snake Pit warming resistor (resized).jpg

There are 937 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 19.
#651 1 year ago

Does anybody have a good set of playfield teardown/reassemble pictures? I took this game as a basket case and now have CPU/Displays/Sound/flippers/playfield switches and drop targets all working. It getting close to completion

game starts, plays, scores so now i gotta focus on reassembly
Game came with a bag of nuts/bolts/guides and screws. I have a bag of star posts that came with it. I have all the playfield plastics in various degrees of wavy so really only need a rubber set to get started

looks like my A,B,C,D,E lights are all out as well as 20 and 10 from bonus scoring.
I also dont see any green lights at the snake pit but im not sure what builds that value.does anybody know?

thanks,

20180131_212310 (1) (resized).jpg

#652 1 year ago

Stupid question, are the bulbs good? Your 3 gor targets advance the green snake pit lights. Looks like you are just missing a bunch of star posts.

#653 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

looks like my A,B,C,D,E lights are all out as well as 20 and 10 from bonus scoring.

All the lights mentioned are on the same matrix column.

https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-pinball/G/Gorgar_OPS.pdf

page 12 has the full lamp matrix diagram.

#654 1 year ago
Quoted from Travish:

Stupid question, are the bulbs good? Your 3 gor targets advance the green snake pit lights. Looks like you are just missing a bunch of star posts.

thanks, i swapped out all 5 bulbs at the snake pit and no change - they look like they are daisy chained so i will try to get in and clean the sockets tomorrow

#655 1 year ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

All the lights mentioned are on the same matrix column.
https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-pinball/G/Gorgar_OPS.pdf
page 12 has the full lamp matrix diagram.

Thanks for pointing out the matrix column! I was under the playfield swapping bulbs with no success. this will give me something to trace back, very helpful

#656 1 year ago

Repinned the playfield plugs for lamp matrix 8P2 and 8J2 and switch matrix 8P1 and 8J1 and got A,B,C,D,E, 20 and 10 lamps back.

No such luck on the snake pit lamps so I think I still have a column 5 lamp issue. Game does score the increased value for snake pit.

Wanted to have the game playable for today so this is where it stands now.

20180204_131125 (resized).jpg

#657 1 year ago

Had an interesting issue with the sound, so I will post my fix here (even though it was pretty obvious after I looked)
Sometimes the right flipper would cause the game to speak a random word, sometimes the sound would drop out all together. Was also seeing random flashes at the Snake Pit

Replaced that diode and everything is back to normal

20180204_120820 (resized).jpg

#658 1 year ago

Hey folks! Anyone else here have the CPR plastics set? I have a question, seems like an obvious mistake on CPR's part that the plastic over the spinner lane is white/opaque instead of clear. I can't see the serpent!

Just wondering if mine has a standalone issue (and I should contact CPR, though I've heard that's always an ordeal), or if this is the case with everyone else's. If so, what have you guys done for a solution?

Thanks!

#659 1 year ago

Are you positive it's paint and not a vinyl backing that gets removed? If so that's a pretty big bummer. I wonder if you could polish the paint away and have clear.

#660 1 year ago

Peel the backing paper off. It's on all of them but it's harder to see on the ones that are not clear.

#661 1 year ago

Lamp column 5 turned out to be the simplest fix. Was getting 5.3v at 2J5 pin 3 both without 2P5 connected and with 2P5 connected. Nothing amiss under playfield and continuity along the string. All bulbs were good. Turns out my re-pin at 2P5 pin 3 was only making contact under pressure so re-pinning that correctly solved my issue

#662 1 year ago

chalkey and travish, thank you for pointing out the obvious things I somehow fail to see. Looks great now.

#663 1 year ago

Did the vid1900 System 6 bridge rectifier fuse mod yesterday.

Easy, hopefully he doesnt notice the lack of fuse labels. Strangely my 1/4amp HV fuse blew a couple games after I put the new fuses in. Naturally I had zero 1/4A spares so had to rob a fuse from Hollywood Heat just to keep playing. Gorgar has gone another 50 games on the new fuse so I am almost ready to write is off as a coincidence.

20180211_223758 (resized).jpg

#664 1 year ago

Almost done with my board repair. Cleaned up battery damage first. Replaced the 40 pin connector and the MOSFET lamp matrix replacement that vid recommends. In the next day or so, I expect to be done with replacing sockets. I have a new backbox coming soon, so I might try to put together a System 6 test rig before that.

20180211_232322 (resized).jpg

#665 1 year ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I have a new backbox coming soon, so I might try to put together a System 6 test rig before that.

Seigecraft has some nice diagnostic tools that might work for you.

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_category=12&controller=category&id_lang=1

#666 1 year ago

Yes!,,,

#667 1 year ago

Sorry always wanted to be post number 666 one day

Carry on

Hell yeah!

1 week later
#668 1 year ago

GORGAR owners ? Jump on cpr,s list lets get this made

#669 1 year ago

Agreed!!! I’m on already

#670 1 year ago

I put down for 2 playfields hoping to get it done.

#671 1 year ago
Quoted from whitey:

I put down for 2 playfields hoping to get it done.

I did the same. One for now (?), one to maybe hurry things along. I can always sell the other in a few years.

#672 1 year ago

Thinking of doing the same!!

#673 1 year ago

Maybe Gorgar is a good candidate for hardtop? I would jump on that if it became available. I'm on the list for CPR, but if I run across a decent alternative before they get to it, I'll probably drop out.

http://www.pinballgifts.com/store/p75/Pinball_Playfield_Hardtop.html

#674 1 year ago

What are people's thoughts on flipper alilgnment? I've had the flippers aligned both with the toothpick hole covered by the flippers (straight with the ball guide) and the flippers resting with the "toothpick" in the hole. I feel like with the flippers "resting" on the hole, that the flippers feel more like a DMD Gottlieb and I think prefer it with the flippers inline with the ball guides.

Current setup is with the flippers "resting" on the toothpick but want to switch it back to flippers inline with the ball guides.

#675 1 year ago

In line with the ball guides

#676 1 year ago

My flippers are aligned to the toothpick hole and they just don't feel right - I keep meaning to readjust to In Line with the ball guides

#677 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

What are people's thoughts on flipper alilgnment?

In line with the ball guides.

#678 1 year ago

GORGAR PLAYFIELD!!!!
Cpr needs 100 orders or guys on the list,there at 70+ ?
Im in for 2 ,Gorgar fans lets get this done

#679 1 year ago

I just picked up a Gorgar yesterday. It is going to be refurb. I have not had time to really look into the playfield wear. I will prob give it a good cleaning to see if its worth getting a new playfield but I am very interested. How much would CPR charge if they are to do it?

#680 1 year ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

I just picked up a Gorgar yesterday. It is going to be refurb. I have not had time to really look into the playfield wear. I will prob give it a good cleaning to see if its worth getting a new playfield but I am very interested. How much would CPR charge if they are to do it?

$650 is the preorder price.

I'm already on the list. I really can't stomach the cost of 2 though...doesn't look like there's a very large market on reselling later, and it's not like my machine will be out on a route.

#681 1 year ago

I've been on the list for a while, but not in a hurry, because I'm also on the Paragon list and I don't think I could handle two in a year!

#682 1 year ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

I've been on the list for a while, but not in a hurry, because I'm also on the Paragon list and I don't think I could handle two in a year!

I don't even know if I can handle one! This will be my first playfield swap when I get to it. My machine could really use it though...keep finding more issues with mine. Got Cliffy's new flipper guides and got my flippers aligned; only to find out that the holes in my playfield won't hold the rails in place securely and after a game or two of bliss the rail has loosened from where it should be

#683 1 year ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

I don't even know if I can handle one! This will be my first playfield swap when I get to it. My machine could really use it though...keep finding more issues with mine. Got Cliffy's new flipper guides and got my flippers aligned; only to find out that the holes in my playfield won't hold the rails in place securely and after a game or two of bliss the rail has loosened from where it should be

Jam a toothpick with some wood glue into the PF hole and break it off flush with the PF, reinstall the screw. This should tighten it up.

#684 1 year ago

Just joined the club this week! It was the first pin I ever added to my wishlist.
I signed up for the CPR playfield preorder too. Mostly in good shape but I've got a couple shorted transistors to fix.

20180305_191425 (resized).jpg

20180305_192438 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#685 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Jam a toothpick with some wood glue into the PF hole and break it off flush with the PF, reinstall the screw. This should tighten it up.

I went and did this over the weekend and boy is it so nice! Now I have to do some work on my drop targets...they're not smooth at all sadly and get hung up often.

1 week later
#686 1 year ago

Just finished up with a couple things on my Gorgar. I couldn't decide which color flippers would look best. I'm happy with this combo and how it looks with the outhole glow.

20180409_211845 (resized).jpg

20180409_183230 (resized).jpg

#687 1 year ago

Made this video after joining Gorgar club.

#688 1 year ago

Looking for some help from a fellow Gorgar owner. I have an overheating transistor (Q4 on driver board) and can not find the cause. I have checked all wiring for a short and connections for continuity. Driver board has been replaced without any change. Any ideas where to look next?

#689 1 year ago

Proud new Gorgar owner.. Just picked it up this weekend.. Got a great deal on a machine that's been in storage for a long time.. some surface rust, some corrosion on the boards.. Audio board is missing (voice board is there) and backglass is in bad shape, but it has a really nice playfield and the plastics are all really good. Just read all 14 pages of this thread, and ordered pretty much one of everything from siegecraft (will be great to help on my Black Knight too!) so I look forward to the challenge and learning how to get this thing running again. I'm fairly confident with the board stuff, but the cosmetics stuff I'm not real confident on. SO.. Since I'm going to have to find a new audio board... I saw a post about someone who replaced a Gottlieb audio board with a Raspberry pi computer running an MP3 player / trigger program.. Has anyone ever seen anything like this for a williams replacement? I know I SHOULD just bite the bullet and go buy one from ebay, but the DIY'er in me thinks it might be fun to try to build a generic replacement board. Anyone ever seen something like this? Comments??

#690 1 year ago
Quoted from PA28steve:

I saw a post about someone who replaced a Gottlieb audio board with a Raspberry pi computer running an MP3 player / trigger program.. Has anyone ever seen anything like this for a williams replacement? I know I SHOULD just bite the bullet and go buy one from ebay, but the DIY'er in me thinks it might be fun to try to build a generic replacement board. Anyone ever seen something like this? Comments??

I started doing something similar recently. At first, it was just going to be a system 6 emulator. But then I decided to go with pinmame running on a raspberry pi. You could take that route, and make a 6800 emulator specific to this board. Or, you could look at pinmame. Or, if your boards are totaled, replace the whole thing like I'm doing(but my first focus is WPC95).

#691 1 year ago

Hello All,

I've got Pinball Pimp stencils on the way for my Gorgar. What type of paint works best?

#692 1 year ago

New member of the club. Picked up on the way back from MGC. Thanks to fatpanda for what is turning out to be a great game. Already tough and as he said, once I get a fresh coat of wax on there it’s going to be brutal. Those outlanes make my TWD look very forgiving!!

5C488516-DC29-4D34-AA5B-2A23ED2E0954 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#693 1 year ago

Can anyone tell me the proper leg size on gorgar? Mine look too long (28.5") and was hoping to pick some up this weekend at a local show.

Thanks

#694 1 year ago

After much work(and finally deciding to put myself out of my misery and use a Rottendog MPU/Driver combo), Gorgar booted today, and I flipped a ball around. No sound, and I have a couple of switches that are messed up. But I would call it 80% alive.

1 week later
#695 1 year ago

So CPR needs an order of 100 to make the playfield? Anyone know what we're at?

-Rev

#696 1 year ago

Update. I got sounds working last night for a bit. No speech, so I reseated the speech eproms and no more sounds.
So, I'll keep poking at it. Since the voltages are good, I'm assuming that I'm seeing bad sockets.

#697 1 year ago

Could be connectors getting wiggled from the socket action, or cold solder joints. All the boards on my gorgar had em.

#698 1 year ago
Quoted from revmex:

So CPR needs an order of 100 to make the playfield? Anyone know what we're at?
-Rev

I've only had the game a month and can't stop playing it. Get's 10x more plays than any other game in my collection now... I suspect some of that is the newness, but I really can't see it wearing off anytime soon.

The reason I quoted the CPR question is that I also put my interest in via email to CPR (does anyone know if you are supposed to get an acknowledgement? because I didn’t). Anyway... game was clean when I set it up and didn't have to do a single thing to it (thanks fatpanda for keeping everything in top notch shape). Finally got around to doing a quick cleaning and waxing and wow does the ball zip now. Of course, slower than my newer games, but much faster for a Gorgar than it was before. I could maybe get 10-15 spins on an average spinner rip before, but now can easily get 25+ on a solid hit. I'm crediting this to a faster ball with a freshly waxed playfield since that's all I did. Didn't have my teflon lube handy, so no lube on the spinner rod... but thinking that maybe a small drop would make it even better. How many spins are people typically getting? And I can hardly even imagine how much smoother that ball will be zipping around on a brand new clear coated playfield... come on CPR!!

#699 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Could be connectors getting wiggled from the socket action, or cold solder joints. All the boards on my gorgar had em.

Yeah, my next step is to replace the IDC cable and all of the sockets and do a careful check of all of the solder joints. It will probably have to wait until after the Goldenstate show.

#700 1 year ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Yeah, my next step is to replace the IDC cable and all of the sockets and do a careful check of all of the solder joints. It will probably have to wait until after the Goldenstate show.

I had bad dried out caps on my sound board which caused the audio to go in and out. I bought a cap kit from great plains and no problems since.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 937 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 19.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside