PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg
20230716_181914 (resized).jpg

There are 1,791 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 36.
#501 6 years ago

Added some LED bling to my Gorgar....

IMG_9535 (resized).JPGIMG_9535 (resized).JPG

IMG_9538 (resized).JPGIMG_9538 (resized).JPG

IMG_9536 (resized).JPGIMG_9536 (resized).JPG

#502 6 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Oh yeah, like five coats very thick. Repainted all wear spots and repainted all the white areas and then clear. Two part clear in a can, works great it is like glass. Lots of assembly to do but it will look great when finished. Kind of moved to the cabinet fixes now so I have something to put this in.

I guess it was hard to tell from the pics, since usually when guys clear their pfs and take pics, they have a giant light on it to show the reflection lol

I will get around to doing this to my Gorgar, one day. There's just so much going on that I don't know when I'll be able to get around to it! Adulting sucks sometimes...

#503 6 years ago

What looks better on gorgar, black or white bands?

#504 6 years ago

I have white on mine and I think it looks great, but I think black would probably look good too. Either way should be fine.

#505 6 years ago

I think white. Your machine stays cleaner looking with white also.

#506 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What looks better on gorgar, black or white bands?

Translucent or glow Titans look really good too.....

#507 6 years ago

Heh, yeah I was thinking about red or otherwise colored titans in some places.

#508 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Heh, yeah I was thinking about red or otherwise colored titans in some places.

I will post some pics of the translucent and glow on my Gorgar. They look REALLY nice... I had black/white before but these look and feel pretty good. Although I did change all my bulbs out to LED too. So they reflect REALLY nice now!!!

#509 6 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Oh yeah, like five coats very thick. Repainted all wear spots and repainted all the white areas and then clear. Two part clear in a can, works great it is like glass. Lots of assembly to do but it will look great when finished. Kind of moved to the cabinet fixes now so I have something to put this in.

That's the stuff I used! Best ever and tough as nails. If you follow vid1900s guide to restoring playfields you will achieve your goal.

#510 6 years ago

On the restoration front, does anyone have playfield scans they can share for making decals?

#511 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

On the restoration front, does anyone have playfield scans they can share for making decals?

What exactly do you need for scans?

#512 6 years ago

I'll take anything you have. My biggest area of concern is above the flippers where I've got bare wood and insert decals but I will take everything available for this (hopefully not to far off) future project.

20171012_163332 (resized).jpg20171012_163332 (resized).jpg

#513 6 years ago

If you make a decal for that area, let me know, I have a noticeable flipper scrape in that area that I would love make go away....lol

Quoted from Chalkey:

I'll take anything you have. My biggest area of concern is above the flippers where I've got bare wood and insert decals but I will take everything available for this (hopefully not to far off) future project.

1 week later
#514 6 years ago

Got gorgar back up and running almost 100%! Only big issue remaining is the spinner sound only works 1 or 2 of the revolutions at a time, not like it's supposed to sound. Any go-to fixes for this?

2 weeks later
#515 6 years ago

Chalkey I had a similar issue with the spinner - the sound AND scoring stopped after a couple of spins. I took the spinner out (disconnected it from the leaf switch), fiddled with the switch, and re-installed the spinner. Though I didn't actually change anything it seemed to work and has held up for 2+ months. If that doesn't work I'd try replacing the leaf switch as I believe it is the root of the problem.

#516 6 years ago

Very interesting! I'll try "hot wiring" it when I get home and see what happens.

#517 6 years ago

Chalkey Hope it works for you. The lit spinner is imo the best shot in Gorgar!

#518 6 years ago

Has anyone added the inlane guide plastics here: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/30-496 to their Gorgar?

Seems like they would look pretty cool, though not original. I don't need the whole set, but am considering it to get those guide plastics. Might be an interesting job to install them as there's not an additional level of 'standoff' posts, or other simple way to add them.

Curious to see if anyone has these / likes them on their game.

#519 6 years ago
Quoted from subruckus:

Has anyone added the inlane guide plastics here: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/30-496 to their Gorgar?
Seems like they would look pretty cool, though not original. I don't need the whole set, but am considering it to get those guide plastics. Might be an interesting job to install them as there's not an additional level of 'standoff' posts, or other simple way to add them.

Yes I have a set but have not installed on Gorgar yet. I am waiting on the new CPR playfield.

But... I have put them on Black Knight and Firepower. I mounted them on plastic spacers to add depth. Used screws on Firepower and acorn nuts on Black Knight.

IMG_3685 (resized).JPGIMG_3685 (resized).JPG
IMG_3688 (resized).JPGIMG_3688 (resized).JPG

IMG_3689 (resized).JPGIMG_3689 (resized).JPG

#520 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Yes I have a set but have not installed on Gorgar yet. I am waiting on the new CPR playfield.
But... I have put them on Black Knight and Firepower. I mounted them on plastic spacers to add depth. Used screws on Firepower and acorn nuts on Black Knight.

Gotcha. Gorgar with a new PF... that's going to be sweet.

Those look nice on Firepower and BK so I might just order the set. Plastic spacers, great idea, seems easy to do. Thanks!

#521 6 years ago
Quoted from subruckus:

I installed the lane guides. They look really good. I just needed longer screws and spacers.

#522 6 years ago

I've been having a display issue pop up intermittently that affects P2-4, but not P1. The first 1 or 2 digits of the display flicker off and on. Sometimes it stays out, other times it stays on. When it's out, the center line of the digits go out also (so an 8 looks like a 0). I've tried pulling off connectors, cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol both on the boards and the connectors. I've re-seated all the connectors I can find, but it's only slightly better. Any thoughts on this? Again, P1 is ok 99% of the time...

Or would I be better off just getting new XPin displays? It doesn't seem like it would be a big troubleshoot, but I have very little technical knowledge with boards...

#523 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

If it makes you feel better I've just signed up on the list today for the new CPR playfield. Just picked up a Gorgar over this past weekend. I needed a simpler game in my line up and I think this one is going to be a keeper.

I plan on doing a fliptronic style flipper upgrade as well as LEDs. Are there any other must have upgrades? I've seen a lot of other people have replaced the speakers as well. Has anyone changed the lane guides to the flippers?

FatPanda I would go Xpin personally. Seems to be an awful lot of energy waste just to power some 7 segment displays, not to mention the troubleshooting when just certain segments aren't triggering right. Worth a check of the high voltage at the PSU if you're seeing some flickering I would think.

#524 6 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

If it makes you feel better I've just signed up on the list today for the new CPR playfield. Just picked up a Gorgar over this past weekend. I needed a simpler game in my line up and I think this one is going to be a keeper.
I plan on doing a fliptronic style flipper upgrade as well as LEDs. Are there any other must have upgrades? I've seen a lot of other people have replaced the speakers as well. Has anyone changed the lane guides to the flippers?
FatPanda I would go Xpin personally. Seems to be an awful lot of energy waste just to power some 7 segment displays, not to mention the troubleshooting when just certain segments aren't triggering right. Worth a check of the high voltage at the PSU if you're seeing some flickering I would think.

Comet warm white LEDs, speaker upgrade (just to something that's NOT 40 yrs old ), Cliffy's lane guides.

And thanks for the Xpin recommendation. I'm not technically savvy enough with boards to really know what's going on. I did the basics with cleaning and that's really all I'm capable of. I haven't pulled any of the boards to see if there are any burnt traces or any bad components, but I'm thinking for $200 and some nice crispy new, worry-free displays, that it would be worth it.

#525 6 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Rebuilt original flippers are still very good. I installed the Cliffy lane guides and it completely eliminated the ball hop, so that's worthwhile if you can't dial it out with stock hardware. Take apart the spinner, really clean and polish the contact points. Gorgar with a weak spinner is pretty disappointing.

#526 6 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

Rebuilt original flippers are still very good. I installed the Cliffy lane guides and it completely eliminated the ball hop, so that's worthwhile if you can't dial it out with stock hardware. Take apart the spinner, really clean and polish the contact points. Gorgar with a weak spinner is pretty disappointing.

I sanded the tips of the spinner with 800 grit sandpaper and added just a super light coat of silicon lube. A lit spinner shot is the best!

#527 6 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

The lane guides are a must if you're having problems eliminating ball hop with the stock guides. Mine work great. Speaker upgrade was worthwhile as well. I haven't played a Gorgar with fliptronic flippers, but I would think it would change the gameplay quite a bit. I rebuilt mine with the original style flippers and it plays great.

#528 6 years ago

Fliptronic = awesome but my flippers were trashed before the upgrade so I don't have much comparison. The Lane guides were a must for me too as the old guides were waaaaaay off. I increased the playfield angle, set the slings really sensitive and it plays fast and nasty now!

#529 6 years ago

Definitely a set of lane guides are a must like everyone else has said. Who would have thought something so simple can transform a game. I agree on spinner and drop target tune up. Leds look great but you need to go with a look that suits you. I personally went with warm lamps to favor retro look. I haven't done the speaker yet. Maybe someone can recommend one for me. I bought a custom topper from laserrifiic which was the icing on the cake for me.

#530 6 years ago

I didn’t see a Gorgar specific lane guide. Is it a standard or do I order for another title? If so, which one fits?

#531 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I didn’t see a Gorgar specific lane guide. Is it a standard or do I order for another title? If so, which one fits?

email Cliff @ passionforpinball.com. he'll set you up. Super great guy!

#532 6 years ago
Quoted from leckylove:

Definitely a set of lane guides are a must like everyone else has said. Who would have thought something so simple can transform a game. I agree on spinner and drop target tune up. Leds look great but you need to go with a look that suits you. I personally went with warm lamps to favor retro look. I haven't done the speaker yet. Maybe someone can recommend one for me. I bought a custom topper from laserrifiic which was the icing on the cake for me.

I went with this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EFMPCW/

Under $20 with Prime, sounds great. All I had to do was remove the old one and solder in the new one, it fit perfectly over the existing screws and grill in the bottom of the cabinet.

#533 6 years ago
Quoted from subruckus:

I went with this one - amazon.com link »
Under $20 with Prime, sounds great. All I had to do was remove the old one and solder in the new one, it fit perfectly over the existing screws and grill in the bottom of the cabinet.

Interested in your opinion when you receive and install... If there is a difference in sound quality.

#534 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Interested in your opinion when you receive and install... If there is a difference in sound quality.

I've had it in for about a week now - even though its sold as a 'woofer,' I found it has a little less bass than the original (which I'm guessing was factory).

This is (in my opinion) great, as it brings out the highs in the spinner sound, pops, bonus count, etc. everything sounds far clearer, AND the heartbeat doesn't sound like its blowing the speaker when its at any decent volume (like the old one did).

Long story short I'd go for it. Much clearer overall. The voice sounds great! Gorgar speaks!

#535 6 years ago

Just got this Gorgar magnetic apron from Tilt Graphics. REALLY like it!!! SUPER fast shipping btw

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/gorgar-magnetic-apron

IMG_0064 (resized).JPGIMG_0064 (resized).JPG

IMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPG

IMG_0041 (resized).JPGIMG_0041 (resized).JPG

IMG_0067 (resized).JPGIMG_0067 (resized).JPG

#536 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Just got this Gorgar magnetic apron from Tilt Graphics. REALLY like it!!! SUPER fast shipping btw
https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/gorgar-magnetic-apron

That apron looks great! I'm definitely getting ine myself. What did you do to get the led light under the apron on by shooter lane? That looks cool.

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from leckylove:

That apron looks great! I'm definitely getting ine myself. What did you do to get the led light under the apron on by shooter lane? That looks cool.

The is the over glow from the flipper buttons. Was a nice surprise!

You can actually see is a little bit on the left side as well...

#538 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

The is the over glow from the flipper buttons. Was a nice surprise!
You can actually see is a little bit on the left side as well...

Cool. I've been meaning to do that mod. Now I have even more incentive. Lol.

#539 6 years ago
Quoted from leckylove:

Cool. I've been meaning to do that mod. Now I have even more incentive. Lol.

Where did you get your flipper mod from? Been thinking about doing that to a few of my machines.

#540 6 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Where did you get your flipper mod from? Been thinking about doing that to a few of my machines.

Pinball Life

But you have to order an extra pair of Stern clear flipper buttons that are a little longer. The ones that come with this kit don't fit Gorgar. I would suggest calling when you order and letting them know you plan on using it on a Gorgar...

BriteButtons™ Illuminated Flipper Button Set For Williams/Bally WPC & WPC-95 Machines
BB_LB_WMS
Options:
Choose A Color : Red

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=BriteButtons%E2%84%A2+Illuminated+Flipper+Button+Set+For+Williams%2FBally+WPC+

#541 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Pinball Life
But you have to order an extra pair of Stern clear flipper buttons that are a little longer. The ones that come with this kit don't fit Gorgar. I would suggest calling when you order and letting them know you plan on using it on a Gorgar...
BriteButtons™ Illuminated Flipper Button Set For Williams/Bally WPC & WPC-95 Machines
BB_LB_WMS
Options:
Choose A Color : Red
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=BriteButtons%E2%84%A2+Illuminated+Flipper+Button+Set+For+Williams%2FBally+WPC+

Thank you for that info.

#542 6 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I have had a Gorgar in the household for almost 9 years. My wife objected at first saying it was too dark, but she finally agreed.
All four of my kids have grown up with the tale that a miniature Gorgar creature actually lives inside our machine. The older ones would perpetuate it with the younger ones, etc., etc. I always kind of joked about it and they would laugh. Its become kind of a running family "fairy-tale".
Our Gorgar was down for the past 2 years and I finally got it working again this past weekend. The kids were all so excited...even though they are now entering high school and middle school.
I think the game is timeless. But I do agree with John Dayhuff, it is probably not easy to resell.

Gogar was one of the titles that I bought multiples of. It must have been popular in my area as most operators had several in deep storage. I would keep the best cabinet, play field, and glass for myself, and repair and sell off the rest. I loved the game and thought one would always be a part of my collection. At that time a lot of my new contacts for buying as well as selling came, as a phone call stating a friend of a friend told me about you. Most times if people asked about a particular pin it was Gogar. People would often ask what was my favorite pin, it was usually the last one I had restored. As space became a problem I let the last Gogar go. Only the lack of room prevents me from joining this club. This comment is not About Gogar. I thought my three year old was pretty sophisticated about pins. He had been subjected to the sounds of pinball before being born, and never knew a house with out at least 20 pins set up in the basement. One day he comes to me and asks "daddy, is Rudy's body inside the bottom of Fun House?"

#543 6 years ago

Hey all, picked up a cleared Gorgar a little while ago and I'm loving it. I have a question about the serpent pit magnet trigger. On mine it seems like it is hard to trigger the magnet, even with a direct hit of the ball during play. With the glass off I can manually trigger it no problem every time. In play the ball, though it looks like it hits the proper spot, often will not activate the magnet. Is this normal to everyone else's experience, and if not how do I adjust to get it more consistent?

#544 6 years ago
Quoted from bkbirge:

Hey all, picked up a cleared Gorgar a little while ago and I'm loving it. I have a question about the serpent pit magnet trigger. On mine it seems like it is hard to trigger the magnet, even with a direct hit of the ball during play. With the glass off I can manually trigger it no problem every time. In play the ball, though it looks like it hits the proper spot, often will not activate the magnet. Is this normal to everyone else's experience, and if not how do I adjust to get it more consistent?

My pit magnet behaves pretty similarly, and I believe this is somewhat normal. Mine isn't necessarily inconsistent, but it seems that if the ball is moving too fast it won't trigger the magnet, even on a direct hit. Also hits to the playfield switch coming in from the side don't register well. Sometime the switch will register the points, but not activate the magnet.

Maybe my Gorgar isn't normal either, but I believe that it takes a dead-on hit at just the right velocity. But hey I could be wrong. Just my experience.

#545 6 years ago

My pit magnet was doing the same and I changed the magnet capacitor under the playfield and adjusted the gap and everything I could think of and it seemed to help but not really. If the ball hit "regular" it would not trigger but if I held the ball on the switch for just a second or a slow hit from the pop it would.

My first post/ thread here was about the magnet.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-magnetflasher-issue#post-1210498

I had a rottendog mpu combo in it. Years later when I got another rottendog mpu for my firepower I had an issue with it and when I swapped the 2 mpu's the issue went away so it has to be a issue on my mpu. My magnet works REALLY good now and all I did was swap the board. If the ball even touches it hard soft or in between it works perfect. If either of you have a rottendog that's your problem. If I hadn't changed the mpu I would still be wondering what was wrong.

#546 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

My pit magnet was doing the same and I changed the magnet capacitor under the playfield and adjusted the gap and everything I could think of and it seemed to help but not really. If the ball hit "regular" it would not trigger but if I held the ball on the switch for just a second or a slow hit from the pop it would.
My first post/ thread here was about the magnet.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-magnetflasher-issue#post-1210498
I had a rottendog mpu combo in it. Years later when I got another rottendog mpu for my firepower I had an issue with it and when I swapped the 2 mpu's the issue went away so it has to be a issue on my mpu. My magnet works REALLY good now and all I did was swap the board. If the ball even touches it hard soft or in between it works perfect. If either of you have a rottendog that's your problem. If I hadn't changed the mpu I would still be wondering what was wrong.

Darn, I have original boards. So looks like there's not much to do short of replacing them... Would you recommend replacing the capacitor or is that not even worth the trouble? Thanks.

#547 6 years ago
Quoted from subruckus:

Darn, I have original boards. So looks like there's not much to do short of replacing them... Would you recommend replacing the capacitor or is that not even worth the trouble? Thanks.

Can't hurt to try. I have several more in my parts box (minimum order). Pm a address and I will stick one in a envelope.

#548 6 years ago

I've got original boards, with supposedly "the magnet ground mod" whatever that means.

#549 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Can't hurt to try. I have several more in my parts box (minimum order). Pm a address and I will stick one in a envelope.

That would be great. I'll PM you now.

#550 6 years ago

I'd think it would do more with the mechanics of the actual switch than anything else.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
There are 1,791 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying/page/11?hl=sparksterz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.