So Gorgar is my first ever System 6 machine. I was at a friends house who is a fellow member of the community, and he off the cuff asked several of us "Anyone want a Gorgar project? LOL". Everyone there that day were seasoned pinball veterans except me being the obvious noob. I am thinking, sure why anot how bad could it be?
Well the highlight right off the bat was the back-glass. Its an original, and its in remarkably good condition. I was told by people who know better the glass alone as nice as mine is could be worth more than $300 on the market. Nifty.
As for everything else, well, it looked like a game that had been in a warehouse since 1985. Dirty, dusty, and for what I knew totally broken. Thankfully it came with a parts box the previous owner had been assembling for the restore he never got around doing. It came home to my house looking like this.
I called over my friend and pinball expert Evan Smith (The Pinsmith) to take a look at the machine and guide me along in the process. I have not worked with a System 6 yet so I wanted to make sure I didnt do anything that could make the game in worse condition.
We found a multitude of errors with the machine. Things fixed included:
-Broken Scoring Display
-Worn and Wrong Color Flippers
-No Battery Box
-Several Busted Fuses
Made me wonder how bad thing thing once played before it was put away!
I was impressed, as we got the machine from dead to 100% functional in less than 2 hours. Now I have to say here, Evan is an expert and has been doing this 50 hours a week for more than a decade so this might have been a month-long project if I ventured it alone. I watched everything he did and sucked in the knowledge he shared as he repaired the boards and components on the machine.
I stepped in for the monkey work, taking the plastics and rubbers off the game, finally getting it down to just the playfield and posts. Evan coached me along as he worked on some electrical issues on my rollergames.
With everything out of the way I laid on the Novus 2 and went to work. Two coats on the playfield, and two coats buffed off. The amount of dirt I cleaned out was pretty incredible to see in the towel. The playfield is pretty worn, which sort of adds to the character of it, but with it clean and slick it has a shine to it and reflects the lights. It started to come alive.
I put on the PBR rubber kit, which was tricky since it didnt come with a diagram like a Marco one would have. All in all, I was thankful that this game didnt have ramps and layers of stuff to reassemble.
With the plastics back on, the game really started to take on a presence and I was getting excited to play it. I cant help but notice that the overall "artistic" and simplicity of this game seems to be more "pure" of a pinball game compared to today's photoshopped efforts. No, I am not saying it's better necessarily, just something that is raw and real about hand drawn graphics and no frills game play.
With my amazing back-glass installed, the game takes on it's final form. The imposing demon on the back is frightening and creepy, easily making me think twice about letting small children play the game.
It was finished just in time for our Church get together. I was laughing to myself that I had this demonic game in my lineup just in time for all of my buddies from church to come over, but being the cool people they are it was not an issue and everyone played some pinball.