PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg
20230716_181914 (resized).jpg

There are 1,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 36.
#1 10 years ago

So Gorgar is my first ever System 6 machine. I was at a friends house who is a fellow member of the community, and he off the cuff asked several of us "Anyone want a Gorgar project? LOL". Everyone there that day were seasoned pinball veterans except me being the obvious noob. I am thinking, sure why anot how bad could it be?

Well the highlight right off the bat was the back-glass. Its an original, and its in remarkably good condition. I was told by people who know better the glass alone as nice as mine is could be worth more than $300 on the market. Nifty.

As for everything else, well, it looked like a game that had been in a warehouse since 1985. Dirty, dusty, and for what I knew totally broken. Thankfully it came with a parts box the previous owner had been assembling for the restore he never got around doing. It came home to my house looking like this.

IMG_7773.jpgIMG_7773.jpg

I called over my friend and pinball expert Evan Smith (The Pinsmith) to take a look at the machine and guide me along in the process. I have not worked with a System 6 yet so I wanted to make sure I didnt do anything that could make the game in worse condition.

We found a multitude of errors with the machine. Things fixed included:
-Display Transistors
-Broken Scoring Display
-Broken Speaker
-Broken Coil
-Broken Buttons
-Worn and Wrong Color Flippers
-Bad Sensors
-No Battery Box
-Several Busted Fuses

Made me wonder how bad thing thing once played before it was put away!

I was impressed, as we got the machine from dead to 100% functional in less than 2 hours. Now I have to say here, Evan is an expert and has been doing this 50 hours a week for more than a decade so this might have been a month-long project if I ventured it alone. I watched everything he did and sucked in the knowledge he shared as he repaired the boards and components on the machine.

I stepped in for the monkey work, taking the plastics and rubbers off the game, finally getting it down to just the playfield and posts. Evan coached me along as he worked on some electrical issues on my rollergames.

IMG_7860.jpgIMG_7860.jpg

With everything out of the way I laid on the Novus 2 and went to work. Two coats on the playfield, and two coats buffed off. The amount of dirt I cleaned out was pretty incredible to see in the towel. The playfield is pretty worn, which sort of adds to the character of it, but with it clean and slick it has a shine to it and reflects the lights. It started to come alive.

IMG_7862.jpgIMG_7862.jpg

I put on the PBR rubber kit, which was tricky since it didnt come with a diagram like a Marco one would have. All in all, I was thankful that this game didnt have ramps and layers of stuff to reassemble.

IMG_7863.jpgIMG_7863.jpg

With the plastics back on, the game really started to take on a presence and I was getting excited to play it. I cant help but notice that the overall "artistic" and simplicity of this game seems to be more "pure" of a pinball game compared to today's photoshopped efforts. No, I am not saying it's better necessarily, just something that is raw and real about hand drawn graphics and no frills game play.

With my amazing back-glass installed, the game takes on it's final form. The imposing demon on the back is frightening and creepy, easily making me think twice about letting small children play the game.

IMG_7864.jpgIMG_7864.jpg

It was finished just in time for our Church get together. I was laughing to myself that I had this demonic game in my lineup just in time for all of my buddies from church to come over, but being the cool people they are it was not an issue and everyone played some pinball.

IMG_7865.jpgIMG_7865.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Congrats, Gorgar is truely a classic. Feels primordial, nothing super fancy, justs plays fierce. Here's what my small children think about Gorgar....

Gorgar.jpgGorgar.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Here is some of the group over playing it last night.

IMG_7871.jpgIMG_7871.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Me..........

Like.........

Gorgar!!

(...and congrats on your new game!)

#5 10 years ago

I have had a Gorgar in the household for almost 9 years. My wife objected at first saying it was too dark, but she finally agreed.

All four of my kids have grown up with the tale that a miniature Gorgar creature actually lives inside our machine. The older ones would perpetuate it with the younger ones, etc., etc. I always kind of joked about it and they would laugh. Its become kind of a running family "fairy-tale".

Our Gorgar was down for the past 2 years and I finally got it working again this past weekend. The kids were all so excited...even though they are now entering high school and middle school.

I think the game is timeless. But I do agree with John Dayhuff, it is probably not easy to resell.

#6 10 years ago

Here is a shot of mine.

Gorgar_LG.jpgGorgar_LG.jpg

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I have had a Gorgar in the household for almost 9 years. My wife objected at first saying it was too dark, but she finally agreed.
All four of my kids have grown up with the tale that a miniature Gorgar creature actually lives inside our machine. The older ones would perpetuate it with the younger ones, etc., etc. I always kind of joked about it and they would laugh. Its become kind of a running family "fairy-tale".
Our Gorgar was down for the past 2 years and I finally got it working again this past weekend. The kids were all so excited...even though they are now entering high school and middle school.
I think the game is timeless. But I do agree with John Dayhuff, it is probably not easy to resell.

That is awesome! I could see how they would believe that!

#8 10 years ago

Great thread. Gorgar is an absolute classic with incredible art. Way to go on the restore!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Great thread. Gorgar is an absolute classic with incredible art. Way to go on the restore!

I am hoping CPR makes a playfield for it!!!! Stencils and cab work is up next. Gonna do my best to make it sexy again.

#10 10 years ago

Nice score - and great looking game room! I love the late 70's and early 80's solid state pins. I just need more space...

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for posting great story. Pic of mine this summers project

image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 10 years ago

My winter project last year. I play it all the time

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

NICE!!!!

Tell me about the custom graphic on the Apron...

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

That apron is awesome. Oh wait this is Jared's thread...EPIC

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

My winter project last year

Flash, Gorgar, Firepower......HELL YEAH!!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

last picture, with these 4 pins... just superb !
i know lots of people will think its nothing special (...) compare to actual pins, but this rocks for sure

#18 10 years ago

The apron and side art came from Arcadeskins . They really add a more modern touch to the look of the machine by tying into the art. Thanks formthemcompliments, I love system 6 and 7 williams machines.

http://www.arcadeskin.com/

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Dang man! Much love for that old scho lineup.

#20 10 years ago

Yeah... those are awesome. Gonna work on it some more.

Anyone have pics of GORGAR with LED back-box lights? Does it totally kill it?

#21 10 years ago

I did just gorgar with red lights and an incandescent on his head so the green eyes werent washed out, 47s in the rest of the box. LEDs just washed it out I thought. My favorite BG by far!

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

But I do agree with John Dayhuff, it is probably not easy to resell.

Depends how nice it is. A really nice glossy Gorgar would look exceedingly good in any collection. The artwork and heart beat sound alone on this game are fantastic and make this game worth owning.

#23 10 years ago

All these Gorgar's look great!!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from sotie:

All these Gorgar's look great!!

So true, most of the Gorgars I see (even the ones at shows) are pretty beat up. I've only seen a couple nice ones with good cabinets and play fields and back glasses ever. Such a great game too. Shame more are not restored.

#25 10 years ago

Great story and great game! Congrats! Gorgar was the first pin I got, and is one that I don't think will ever leave the collection!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Love the blade and apron skins, will be ordering some for sure.

#27 10 years ago

My Gorgar. Plus I have an HEP restored NOS playfield that awaits swapping.

I purchased my backglass from Mayfair. I was told by Steve (Mayfair's owner) that this was the last production from Williams, done in the late 90's before they shut down. Looks beautiful.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#28 10 years ago

My back box has all LEDs, I used cointaker retro warm white clear domes everywhere except on Gorgar, I used red frosted and on the Gorgar word I used green frosted. Looks perfect with no spotting.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I purchased my backglass from Mayfair. I was told by Steve (Mayfair's owner) that this was the last production from Williams, done in the late 90's before they shut down. Looks beautiful.

That looks real nice! Machine looks to be in amazing shape! Nice job.

#30 10 years ago

Love my Gorgar! First pin I restored and it didn't come out too shabby. Got some flaking on the back glass but not too bad.

John

DSC01911.JPGDSC01911.JPG

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Wow. Show us some pics of the HEP restored playfield. I bet it is amazing!!!!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

My back box has all LEDs, I used cointaker retro warm white clear domes everywhere except on Gorgar, I used red frosted and on the Gorgar word I used green frosted. Looks perfect with no spotting.

Mind posting pics of it in the dark in high res?

Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

Love my Gorgar! First pin I restored and it didn't come out too shabby. Got some flaking on the back glass but not too bad.
John

That looks amazing my friend. Wow. Cab looks perfect.

I wonder if anyone has experimented with LED's in the inserts or other places and is willing to share their experience/thoughts.

#33 10 years ago

Pics don't do it justice, looks real nice and natural in person. You probably can't tell either, I also added red XPin led displays.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

John

John, every time I see your Gorgar it makes we want to get moving on my restore. Beautiful work!

#35 10 years ago

Wow. Show us some pics of the HEP restored playfield. I bet it is amazing!!!!

Here's the NOS playfield when it arrived last year, just before I send it off to Christopher at HEP. Traveling at the moment and can't find the restore photos, but they're in a thread here on Pinside. Will look.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 10 years ago

Brian, you're welcome to come play it anytime.

#38 10 years ago

Wow... nice NOS... I wonder if any more exist...

#39 10 years ago

I would recommend OP changes title to "Gorgar Club... Members Only!"
-mof

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

I agree. There's lots of love for this pin. Such a classic, historically-significant pin.

#41 10 years ago

Edited. Welcome to Club Gorgar!!!

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

BRAVO!
-mof

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Quoted from Jared:

Not an owner, but as a long term Gorgar admirerer can I stay in the thread? Great game and all of yalls rock!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not an owner, but as a long term Gorgar admirerer can I stay in the thread? Great game and all of yalls rock!

I'm not the OP, but I can't imagine why anyone would say no to you.

That said, Gorgars are still inexpensive and plentiful - so I think you should get one.

#45 10 years ago

wahoo! Another club I can join! Gorgar was my first playfield I restored, he was beat to hell.

playing.jpgplaying.jpg SDC11686.JPGSDC11686.JPG SDC11605.JPGSDC11605.JPG

#46 10 years ago

Looking good bpull.

BTW. I highly recommend to all that you upgrade the speaker and add a subwoofer. Gorgar's beating heart felt through a subwoofer is awesome. image.jpgimage.jpg

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Looking good bpull.
BTW. I highly recommend to all that you upgrade the speaker and add a subwoofer. Gorgar's beating heart felt through a subwoofer is awesome.

Can you just use any ol' subwoofer? What are the specs?

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Looking good bpull.
BTW. I highly recommend to all that you upgrade the speaker and add a subwoofer. Gorgar's beating heart felt through a subwoofer is awesome.

Looking at this also. What model is this?

#49 10 years ago

I do have this on my list of things to do, after all, I work for Harman/Kardon (JBL). The employee discount is very nice.

Brian

#50 10 years ago

I know that the sound system on GORGAR is different that my DMD pins with 2/3 speakers...

Do 100% of the Gorgar Sounds come out of the one speaker on the base of the cabinet? Is there a tweeter of some kind or a smaller speaker in the head?

I really am not sure...

Pinball Pro offers this for $65. I wonder if one of us could achieve equal results with something sourced locally.

http://pinballpro.net/shop/early-bally-williams-games-subwoofer/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 1,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.