DSC01217.JPG
DSC01216.JPG
DSC01220.JPG
DSC01405.JPG
Ped.jpg
DSC01233.JPG
DSC01161 (Large).JPG
#1 10 years ago

Does anyone have any pictures of how a Gorgar backbox attaches to the small pedestal on the back of the cabinet? My backbox was just resting on that pedestal then bolted down. Should there be a bracket on the backbox and pedestal that mate? Should that little pedestal be attached to the cabinet? I need some help on this one. Thanks guys!!

#2 10 years ago

On mine the pedistal is attached to the cabinet and the backbox rests on the pedistal and gets bolted down.
I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

#3 10 years ago

There should also be a flat metal piece on both the head and back of the neck pedestal that slide together and hold the head in place and prevent it from tipping while your bolting the head, that's it.

#4 10 years ago

Ok. So mine is missing the bracket (that I assume is on the pedestal) and the piece that slides into that bracket (that I assume is on the backbox) and the backbox and pedestal are booth loose from the cabinet until the backbox piece slides into the bracket on the pedestal (joining backbox and pedestal) then that assembly bolts onto the cabinet via the 4 lug bolts....correct ?

#5 10 years ago

Pedestal is permanently attached to the cabinet. The pedestal and the backbox both have a U-shaped piece of metal on them, you set the backbox on the pedestal but forward a little bit, then slide it back and the U-pieces mate together which very loosely holds the backbox onto the pedestal. Then the four bolts go through and that's it.

#6 10 years ago

How is the pedestal attached to the cabinet? Do you have a pic of that? Also do you have a pic of the front of the pedestal so I don't install it upside down? Thanks for this help. I thought it was missing something !

#7 10 years ago

Take a picture of how you think it goes on and I can tell you from your picture if it's right or flip it upside down or rotate it 180 degrees etc. etc.

#8 10 years ago

DSC01161 (Large).JPGDSC01161 (Large).JPG

Here's one of the pedistal installed.

#9 10 years ago

This one shows the pedistal with the metal bracket.

DSC01233.JPGDSC01233.JPG
#10 10 years ago

Correct and correct.

#11 10 years ago

I have more from my Gorgar rebuild if you need them.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

I have more from my Gorgar rebuild if you need them.

Sure! How is the pedestal attached to the cabinet ?

#13 10 years ago

This is the best I can do without taking mine apart.

Ped.jpgPed.jpg
#14 10 years ago

So the cord opening is on the top not the bottom....hmmm.

#15 10 years ago

What paint did you use for the cabinet restore? I found a post that matched color but when I looked at the colors the white looked tan and the red looked pinkish maroon. Did you just pick a black, red and white and go with it ?

#16 10 years ago

Also....any advice for getting the side rails off without hogging them up. Did you just drill those twist nails out ? Sorry for the million questions, but this is my first pinball game. It seems like Gorgar is a popular one, so I think I got kinda lucky.

#17 10 years ago

I used Krylon rattle cans. Gloss black, white and banner red.DSC01405.JPGDSC01405.JPG

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Cali9dub:

Also....any advice for getting the side rails off without hogging them up. Did you just drill those twist nails out ? Sorry for the million questions, but this is my first pinball game. It seems like Gorgar is a popular one, so I think I got kinda lucky.

I used a very thin putty knife between the rails and cabinet. The nails practically fell out.

#19 10 years ago

Holy shit! For a spray bomb job that came out sweet. How long did you let it dry between stencils ?

#20 10 years ago

I let it dry a few days between colors. The important part is not letting the paint dry all the way before removing the stencils. DSC01216.JPGDSC01216.JPGDSC01217.JPGDSC01217.JPGDSC01220.JPGDSC01220.JPG

#21 10 years ago

How many cans of paint did it take?

#22 10 years ago

Don't remember exactly. At least 6 black, 3-4 white and red. At $4 a can i bought more than I needed. It eventually got used for something.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

Here's one of the pedistal installed.

DSC01161 (Large).JPG 85 KB

What are the 2 straps on the back of the cabinet shown in this pic? I don't think mine has those either.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Cali9dub:

What are the 2 straps on the back of the cabinet shown in this pic? I don't think mine has those either.

Ha! This was your first pic. I guess it won't show up in this reply...

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Cali9dub:

I think they're just stops that the playfield rests against.

#26 10 years ago

Did you do any work to your playfield at all? I'm in the process of stripping mine and touching it up.

#27 10 years ago

Removed all the inserts. I had to heat them and press them flat as they were all cupped. Reinstalled the inserts and did a few touchups, mostly key lines. My pf was in pretty good shape. I clear coated it with water based Minwax Polycrylic.

#28 10 years ago

The various wood pieces screwed to the top of the playfield appear to have a sticker over them. I assume it's wood grain contact paper? At least that's what it appears to be.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

Removed all the inserts. I had to heat them and press them flat as they were all cupped. Reinstalled the inserts and did a few touchups, mostly key lines. My pf was in pretty good shape. I clear coated it with water based Minwax Polycrylic.

How do you press them flat?? Put them in the oven to heat them ??

#30 10 years ago

Heat gun and the right sized dowel.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-box-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.