• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

791-GordDownie (resized).jpg
20171018_175835 (resized).jpg
making-noise-2016-png (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Gord Downie lost his battle with cancer last night and passed away.

Great musician, person and iconic Canadian who will be missed.

RIP Gord

#2 6 years ago

Rest in Peace Mr. Downie

#3 6 years ago

RIP... He was also a JAWS fan.

making-noise-2016-png (resized).pngmaking-noise-2016-png (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

Man, I remember watching the YT stream of the last concert and thinking Gord was just about the most courageous man alive at that moment; the guy knew what he was ultimately facing, but still spilled his guts and delivered the goods to the audience, closing his career with style and dignity and leaving an awesome musical legacy we can still enjoy.

I became a fan of the band in the early 90s, with "New Orleans Is Sinking" being the gateway drug. I've never really understood why the Hip never broke big in the U.S., as their stuff is about as primo as Rock and Roll gets and they never made a bad album. It's a truly f***ed up world indeed when the likes of Avril Lavigne and Justin Beiber find such wild success, while consummate musicians and professionals like the Tragically Hip and Mahagony Rush don't really ever cross the border

RIP

#5 6 years ago

I have a ton of great memories of my youth with a hip song playing in the background... now whenever one comes on the radio I usually smile as a fond memory surfaces. He will be missed.

#6 6 years ago

Growing up in a Canadian border town, I listened to tons of Tragically Hip growing up. An incredible body of work. He will be missed.

#7 6 years ago

Sad to hear. Seen Hip 4 or 5 times. Rip Gordie

#8 6 years ago

The Hip have always been heard and appreciated since the teens in my world. Have to dig out the cassettes. Simply great music.

RIP Gord

#9 6 years ago

Please forgive me but I never heard of him. Can anyone post a good youtube link?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

Please forgive me but I never heard of him. Can anyone post a good youtube link?

Unfortunately The Tragically Hip never really broke in the us. They had a solid near 30 year career. Headline festivals, etc... When he was diagnosed with brain cancer a couple years ago it was breaking news thru out the country. Don't have a link but search killer whale tank. That's a good start.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

Here are some songs you can search....

- blow at high dough
- ahead by a century
- bobcageon
- new Orleans is sinking
- darkest one
- courage

There's a ton more....

#12 6 years ago

I think Little Bones is probably my favorite Hip song.

There's a music video called "Last American Exit" I believe it's their first video? Anyways the town they stop at is Devon, AB. I lived there when it was on much music and remember us all freaking out that the Devon Bar is in a video!

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Here are some songs you can search....
- blow at high dough
- ahead by a century
- bobcageon
- new Orleans is sinking
- darkest one
- courage
There's a ton more....

#13 6 years ago

The Tragically Hip - Full Concert - 07/24/99 - Woodstock 99 East Stage

The Tragically Hip - Last American Exit (1987)

The Tragically Hip - Egos and Icons - Much Music (1996)

The Tragically Hip - Induction into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame - Grace Too, Fully Completely (2005)

That Last Night, Last Song, Last Scream in Toronto (Aug. 14, 2016)

#14 6 years ago

Sad day indeed. Gords lyrics and the Hips music are the soundtrack to the relationship between my wife and I.

Seen them about 12 times. Partied with them on their tour bus in SF. Saw them at a private show for Canadian olympic atletes in Salt Lake City But the greatest was seeing them on their last tour in Victoria and twice in Vancouver. An outpouring of love from 16,000 directed to one man

Canada is less today. But if we follow his lead, the potential for more is there.

#15 6 years ago

R.I.P. Gord.

Lots of radio stations playing Hip songs, some are going to go all morning just airing Tragically Hip interviews, and music, and possibly doing that all day.

#16 6 years ago

You were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr

#17 6 years ago

We lost a Great Canadian Icon - RIP Gord

#18 6 years ago

Growing up in the Detroit area, I had access to Canadian rock stations like 89X and 93.9 The River. Sloan, The Tragically Hip, and Our Lady Peace have always been my favorites.

#19 6 years ago

Earlier this year, the hip played live on CBC. ( a national channel) I don't know how many people tuned in, but I'd guess that # to be pretty high. The courage that he showed, his performance, the music itself..this band, and Gord himself, is so iconic to Canada..so many great songs/memories..it truly is a sad day here north of the border.. PUCK U CANCER!! You were a helluva person/entertainer..rip

#20 6 years ago

This is some sad news... I don't even remember who got me started on them but it would have been back around Road Apples. Now I'm digging out old albums and trying to explain to the wife and kid who they were and what they meant to me.

RIP Gord

#21 6 years ago

Just saw a commercial for this. 2016 final tour. Set your pvr.20171018_175835 (resized).jpg20171018_175835 (resized).jpg

#22 6 years ago

the world will not be the same without Gord Downie. I painted this portrait of the legend last year once I heard of his illness. True Canadian rock icon.

791-GordDownie (resized).jpg791-GordDownie (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gord-downie-tragically-hip-rip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.