Solved: Gottlieb System 80 - Booting Issues

By sparky672

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have a Gottlieb System 80 (Volcano) that originally had a weird booting problem. When powering up, both the ball feed and ball kicker solenoids would be/stay energized with a zero on the credit display. If left in this condition, those two solenoids could burn up or blow their fuse.

After a lot of messing with control boards, connectors, power supply, etc., it started booting fine and for a couple weeks, never one boot up failure. I was so confident in my repairs, that I was able to remove/reinstall the motherboard, or any other control board at any time, and it would boot back up without any problems.

Now comes yesterday, without touching anything in the head of the machine, I lifted up the playfield to install new drop flags, replace some bulbs, replace the ball kicker solenoid, replace a drop bumper, etc.

However, it seems that the simple act of lifting the playfield has caused this annoying boot-up problem to return. This makes no sense to me, especially when most of the critical connectors are located in the head. Is there anything in the playfield area that could cause this?

Thank-you!

EDIT (8/5/2021): It was battery damage in the MPU reset section all along. Several resistors were broken in places you cannot see. Lifting the playfield might cause the harness to pull on the boards. Any temperature changes or physical movements might have caused a resistor to temporarily open up. Performed the MPU reset modification and problem finally solved.

#2 11 years ago

Oh boy, where to start. First, I know you don't want to hear this but you can not rule out the connections in the head. You removed the glass and lifted the pf, thus pulling on the wire harness which is connected to your boards. From the sound of your beginning process I would suggest first replacing all of your connectors. Once you do that there are a few easy to complete grounding mods that will help your system 80. These Gottlieb Pins are notorious for these problems and I would have to look but I am sure you want to take care of your slam switch with a mod as that damn thing can cause much grief. Others will chime in but I would definitely start with the system 80 upgrades. GL and keep us posted with progress and further questions.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from sparky672:

replace the ball kicker solenoid, replace a drop bumper, etc.

What coils are you referring to here? Pop bumper and sling shot coils?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

What coils are you referring to here? Pop bumper and sling shot coils?

There is a crater/divot at the top, the ball goes in and then this solenoid kicks it out. This solenoid was burned out weeks ago as a result of this original boot problem.

And the top pop bumper, but that was only removed to replace the plastic shell.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Oh boy, where to start. First, I know you don't want to hear this but you can not rule out the connections in the head. You removed the glass and lifted the pf, thus pulling on the wire harness which is connected to your boards. From the sound of your beginning process I would suggest first replacing all of your connectors. Once you do that there are a few easy to complete grounding mods that will help your system 80. These Gottlieb Pins are notorious for these problems and I would have to look but I am sure you want to take care of your slam switch with a mod as that damn thing can cause much grief. Others will chime in but I would definitely start with the system 80 upgrades. GL and keep us posted with progress and further questions.

I know, I know... but that's my whole point, I even did the ground modification a few days ago, one board at a time, and never once did I have any issues with booting. For the last several weeks, I had boards in and out multiple times and it always booted fine. Changed Power Supply parts, no problems. Replaced the battery with a capacitor, changed resistors and chips on the motherboard, etc... again, no problems booting. Now all of a sudden, simply lifting the PF causes the boot problem to come back!

Is there nothing in the playfield area that also causes these boot problems? Is there any particular connector(s) I could remove that will help me isolate the issue to one area?

I'm not doing that slam switch mod as mine seems to be fine. As a test, I created the slam switch boot issue just to see what it did... I don't yet have that problem.

#6 11 years ago

First question, initially when the pin "would not boot" what would happen when you turned the power on? You messed with connections and stuff and it booted no problem, what would the Pin do when you turned the power on? Now you changed two (2) coils and some bulbs and it won't boot, what does it do when you turn the power on? Just making sure I understand and gather the information properly. Let us know.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

First question, initially when the pin "would not boot" what would happen when you turned the power on? You messed with connections and stuff and it booted no problem, what would the Pin do when you turned the power on? Now you changed two (2) coils and some bulbs and it won't boot, what does it do when you turn the power on? Just making sure I understand and gather the information properly. Let us know.

Originally, when machine was obtained....

1. Turn on switch.
2. Clunk... ball release and ball kicker solenoids engage and stay engaged. Both on same fused circuit.
3. Simultaneous to #2 above, credit display shows "0" and score displays remain dark/blank.
4. Nothing changes and it would stay like this until fuse blows or solenoids smoke.

After I messed with head and tinned all board connection fingers, it boots normally...

1. Turn on switch.
2. Sometimes hear the ball release click really quick without releasing a ball.
3. Playfield lights up but score displays remain dark/blank.
4. 5 seconds later, click... score displays show 0's and credit display shows # of credits.
5. Ready for play.

Stays totally stable for weeks while doing all kinds of work removing and reinstalling ALL boards, changing components, adding ground leads, etc.

Lift up playfield to change pop bumper plastic, lamps, drop targets, replace ball kicker solenoid, etc... original problem as described above has returned.

I realize I may need to eventually change every single stinkin' connection, but until then (time & $$), I'm hoping to just isolate the one in particular.

#8 11 years ago

Maybe the problem is with the voltage coming from the power supply board. Have you disconnected the cpu and checked the voltages at the power supply board. That rheostat for the 5v is worth checking out. Hook your meter up to test voltage then power down and connect cpu to see if you have a voltage drop.

Quoted from sparky672:

original problem as described above has returned.

wait, so the coils are locking on again too? If so you have a problem on your driver board. (The fuses are good right?) just checkin'.

#9 11 years ago

I was just lookin at some pics and noticed that Pin has four pop bumper boards mounted on the underside of the pf, have you checked those out too?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

I was just lookin at some pics and noticed that Pin has four pop bumper boards mounted on the underside of the pf, have you checked those out too?

One of the four pop bumpers stopped working yesterday. Unplugged its driver board and plugged it back and it's been fine... I think...

I'm not understanding how the four pop bumper drivers could cause a boot up issue. I can unplug them to verify this.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Maybe the problem is with the voltage coming from the power supply board. Have you disconnected the cpu and checked the voltages at the power supply board. That rheostat for the 5v is worth checking out. Hook your meter up to test voltage then power down and connect cpu to see if you have a voltage drop.

Yes, I did some power supply work and all test voltages were good; I also previously adjusted to exactly 5 volts. I will verify these again.

Quoted from jwwhite15:

wait, so the coils are locking on again too? If so you have a problem on your driver board. (The fuses are good right?) just checkin'.

Yes... the original boot issue returned in full.

I just re-tinned the fingers on the driver board. I also found two wired connectors that came out of their housing. One was a ground, but since the hard wired ground is installed, that shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, it booted up fine after I did this but the problem came right back on the next one.

I'm now convinced it's one of those damned connectors in the head but which one.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from sparky672:

I'm now convinced it's one of those damned connectors in the head but which one.

Well, if you want to do the least amount of repining I would start with the ones that leave the driver board and go to the pf. Did you add the extra wires on the jumper harness too between the cpu and driver board? Also, re-tinning is good but you have to be careful and there are many in the board repair industry who don't really agree with this practice, just some food for thought.
As for the pop boards if the original problem came back those boards have transistors and other components that can go bad thus locking a coil and/or sending voltage back to the driver board or cpu that should not be there. I had one of those boards that failed and it burnt the coil and the two driving transistors on the driver board.

#13 11 years ago

I found it. The 5 VDC connection (CPU side) between the power supply and the motherboard was the problem.

It's booting up every single time again.

Lifting the playfield was just a coincidence and you were correct all along.

EDIT (8/5/2021): I know it's 8+ years later but the above conclusion about the root cause is completely false. After walking away from the game for these last years, I the same boot problem was happening again. I repaired all of the PS connections, and have a new 5 volt indicator LED on the MPU. Loss of 5 volts to the MPU was absolutely not the cause of this issue. It all goes back to battery damage. I did the MPU reset modification and discovered several components, mostly resistors, that were physically hanging by a thread that fell apart on removal. The reset circuit works flawlessly now and no more booting issues.

Did you add the extra wires on the jumper harness too between the cpu and driver board?

Somebody already added these in the past. EDIT: Again, I was wrong. This connector does not have the doubled up power and ground wires, however I will be rebuilding and adding these soon.

Also, re-tinning is good but you have to be careful and there are many in the board repair industry who don't really agree with this practice.

I'm an electrical engineer and I'm not too fond of this practice either, but considering that this is not a programmable logic controller in charge of factory automation, not a huge deal. Besides, the way I've seen the hard wired grounds attached to these boards in some online tutorials is also not that great. If I were charging somebody money to restore this game, I would also not consider tinning the fingers as an acceptable long term solution. The connectors themselves need to be restored eventually.

Anyway, thank-you very much for your help. It was your suggestion to re-check the 5 Volt supply that led me to the solution.

#14 11 years ago

Glad I could jog your mind!

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from sparky672:

The connectors themselves need to be restored eventually.

I'm curious. How would you go about restoring the card edge connectors?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I'm curious. How would you go about restoring the card edge connectors?

I'm talking about re-pinning the plastic connectors.

There's nothing you could do for the card other than heating and wiping off excess solder.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from sparky672:

I'm talking about re-pinning the plastic connectors.
There's nothing you could do for the card other than heating and wiping off excess solder.

Ohhhh. I thought you were referring to the card fingers. Yes, sometimes retinning the fingers is necessary as folks in the past may have sanded the OEM tin off.

Yes, repinning the female side is the best tonic.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gootlieb-system-80-booting-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.