• Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

This Aint For You.gif
Untitled.jpg
GUEST_03ef37d5-e279-4107-b8e5-4f85e9012dac (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm in the market for a new gaming system for the kids this year for Christmas. Bringing out my old PS2 and testing to put up for sale on Craigslist has my kids saying they are tired of the Wii and want to keep the PS2. I'm thinking we finally move on and want something less Wii like, because the kids are getting older. Last night I came acroos Google Stadia. It's a WiFi controller that uses a Chromecast to play real video games streaming. The processing is all done on Google's end. To me this is great because no console cost that will be outdated eventually. However, does the community believe this is viable way to game right now? Should I stay away?
For $129 pre-order you get the controller and a Chromecast Elite. Extra controllers will be $70. It's very tempting. Might I add it's pre-order, which is a nasty word these days.

Google is bad and getting worse by the year for privacy abuses. Stadia is lame. Less Google in your life is a good thing.

Get a real console, or better yet, get a nice video card for your PC and Steamlink and stream PC games to your TV. That's the ultimate solution.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Not worth it, I see it as a gimmick at this time. For one you don't actually own the games with a monthly subscription service. If you buy games digitally on the platform you still don't really own them, you are just paying for a cloud platform to host them (same as a majority of digital content). If the platform goes away in a few years so do your purchases.
Also, digital games on the primary platforms (XBOX, Sony, Nintnedo) typically cost more then what you can find a physical version of the game for. Buying used physical versions of games won't be an option either. For example Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to Google Stadia...for $60. The game has been out on PS4 and XBOX for a year and you can get a new physical copy for $30 or less.
A cloud gaming platform is also dependent on your internet connection. If your connection speed varies throughout the day, or if theres an outage then no gaming. Even if you have a good internet connection you may not have enough bandwidth if theres multiple other people in the house using the internet at the same time. Suddenly the 4k game is down sampled to 1080p or 720p.
Finally the user community on Google Stadia is going to be barely a fraction of what Xbox and Playstation have. If your kids want to play games with friends that won't be an option.
Personally I would recommend picking up a Playstation 4 pro around Black Friday for $350 or so, maybe a bit more if theres a good bundle.

If you just want to play games, an XBOX with Gamepass is the way to go. Constant stream of A and AAA games that are months to a year old plus indie games and it's DIRT CHEAP if you manage promotions. They had one with Rockstar energy drink that worked out to like $4 a month. So for less than the price of a single physical game you could have access to non-stop A to AAA level games all year. Destroys Apple Arcade and Stadia isn't even in the same conversation.

In fact, Gamepass has been SO strong, Sony will have to address it soon (their initial attempt was sad) or they will lose the next console generation to Microsoft.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I hear you. Surprised they didn't already know my internet speed based on how much Youtube I watch. A suped up PC doesn't interest us. Remember, we are coming from 10 yrs of Wii and tablets, so that would be a huge step. I would be totally happy with a PS4 or Xbox One. Don't know if we even need pro versions.

It kills me to say it because I'm generally a PlayStation guy, but for your circumstance, an XBOX 1X ($300-$350ish) with Gamepass Ultimate ($14.99/mo retail, as little as $4/mo with promos) is likely the best way to go. You'll have non-stop top level games and if you watch the promotions, it'll be dirt cheap

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

How long do the promos typically last and then are you able to get new ones? I'll definately need to look into that option.

The promos come and go. In the case of the recent rockstar one (some walmarts may still have the promo cans with Gears of War on them), you got a code that you could add to your account that would extend the gamepass by months at a time. Some people bought enough cans (@$1-$1.50/ea) to extend their membership for a couple years at the super cheap rate.

Just sign up at slickdeals.net and set a deal alert for "gamepass" and they'll send you an email any time there's a deal for it posted.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

If your kids are any age, buy them the system that has the games they want to play. The idea that Nintendo games are only for kids and Xbox and PlayStation games are only for teens and adults is ridiculous. All the Switch games you mentioned are fantastic for everyone (Well, except maybe Super Mario Party, I was really disappointed by that game), kids through adults, and the other systems have tons of games that are the same way.

Definitely something to consider, but it's important to note that you won't find nearly as many quality games on tablets as you will on a portable console.

Nintendo is terrible for online and saving data. SOMEONE needs to slap some sense into their Japanese network dev team. They're at least a decade behind Sony and Microsoft. We have all the systems, but Nintendo is SO BACKWARDS with online and cloud stuff. For that reason alone, unless the kids are really young, I wouldn't recommend a switch to a one console person.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

That sounds easy enough. Surprised they let you use the same promos over and over (I realize the numbers are different).

They initially tried to change the terms of the promotion after people started buying lots of RS and pouring out the drink just to get the codes, but there was such an outcry, they changed it back and made it just a little more annoying to redeem. Still a great deal.

XBOX 1X (not the 1 or 1S) with Gamepass is the best solution for your situation. Lots of great games, cheap all year long, with new ones every month.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Yeah, Nintendo's online is horrible, so if that's important to someone then they should definitely look elsewhere, but I don't know what that has to do with the age of who you're buying for. Outside of their online stuff Nintendo's games tend to be top tier, so anyone looking for great single player or local multiplayer games can still be more than content with just a Switch.

Nintendo first party games (i.e. The good ones. in general, there's lots of shovelware from 3rd parties) rarely go on sale, so not a great value. And the age of the kid was so he/she won't remember/care that their saves were lost or trapped on a console because of Nintendo's stupid network/cloud code.

Like I said, I'm probably Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft in general, but Microsoft has come on strong, and Gamepass is a ridiculously undeniable value with the promotions that give you a year of it for about the price of ONE physical game. I have no problem recommending it these days.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Thing about Stadia is it requires a Chromecast for TVs and I have Firesticks (yeah my tvs are smart, but I like how Firesticks run Android, plus we have Prime). I have open HDMI ports, but still.

And it's Google. Crappy, ever-more-abusive Google. Google could invent the best phone in human history tomorrow and be giving it away and I wouldn't take it. Once you realize that YOU are the product with Google, Facebook, Oculus, Instagram, etc it is bad news. Unfortunately Google started out pretty great, but they've become corrupt and are probably worse than Facebook, we just don't have the details yet.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I dunno about that, if I was a little kid still and lost all my Animal Crossing save data or something like that I'd be devastated. Certainly wouldn't forget about it.
Man I really hope Nintendo allows cloud saves on Animal Crossing... :/

I just was casually aware of how they are handling Animal Crossing, but I was hearing some really bad things like you could only have one town per Switch or something dumb like that, meaning no multiplayer where you visit each other's towns. I don't remember exactly, only that I was not happy about it. They better not screw this up.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I’d just buy them what they want and get the Switch. Why have 4 disappointed kids?

Life lesson. Better to get them sooner than later.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

There are new Xbox S 1TB Minecraft bundles on Ebay for $189 right now. Never seen it that low. I also just got an offer to buy a buddies PS4 Dec. 2020 when the 5 comes out. That's my wife's vote, but damn that's far off.
BTW, the kids aren't that stuck on the Switch. They mainly want to play Fortnite on a console and like the portable, but I'm not dealing with four kids fighting over a portable.

Pay the $100 extra for the 1X. Visually there's a pretty significant difference in the way games look on it.

And I checked on the gamepass ultimate thing. The main promo is still going on. As long as you have gold, you should be able to convert it to gold with gamepass ultimate for a buck. So I'd recommend getting 3 years of gold at once and then converting so you have 3 years of free games for what works out to like $5/month. Here's the details on how to do it:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/18/18684136/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-convert-xbox-live-gold-36-months-how-to

But I'd do it sooner rather than later because I don't know how long this very sweet promo will last.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I went with the $185 S, it was just too hard to pass. When it comes in I will definitly use your tip and get the Ultimate game pass. Bring the thread back. Xbox wins for now before Stadia hits the market.

Stadia never had a chance. Totally blows and it's Google. Lose-lose.

My advice is not to let your kids play with the headset for online play. It's a cool feature, but XBOXLive is a cesspool of racist, sexist and generally really bad language. Private room? Headset ok. Public as most are? Nope.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah good point. I think MS has built in pretty good parental controls to disable a variety of things.

Yeah, the problem is most parents are oblivious. They'd be shocked (or maybe not?) if they knew the indoctrination their kids were getting in the headsets while playing XBOX.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

No headsets. Unless it’s a group with real life friends I ban voice all together

Yep. That's the way it went in our house. Kids weren't allowed to use the headsets unless in a private room with friends. And for games that route the voice chat activity to the TV, voice off.

1 month later
#70 4 years ago

Well, the day after the terrible launch, Google cancelled almost 1/4 of the 20 or so developer projects in the pipeline for Stadia. That's not a good sign. More cancellations are sure to follow. What a mess of a platform.

Cheap gamepass and XBOXONE for the win.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There was once a cloud gaming platform called Google Stadia...the end.
[quoted image]

WSJ reviewer had 3000ms lag at times. Ridiculous for essentially console-quality visuals.

#86 4 years ago

Google is now giving no-questions-asked full refunds on Stadia hardware. The returned units are not being refurbished, they are being destroyed.

Unofficially, that means it's over. Is this the fastest cradle to grave for a Google product ever?

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Source? Can't find it.

You won't see it in print yet that I know of. Call them and ask for a refund and RMA. You'll get it, no questions asked.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

They’ve had a 15 day return policy since before the release date.

This is a general policy change, not related to the 15 day window from what I was told.

Also, Stadia is causing Chromecast overheating, triggering shutdowns. Not sure if that's a hardware version issue or all of them, but another demerit for the service.

2 years later
#114 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

How’s stadia these days? Sounds like it’s not going to last much longer.
https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-shuts-down-internal-studios-changing-bus-1846146761

It was DOA. Just slowly bleeding out...slowly, slowly...

7 months later
#118 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The power of the cloud failed lol. Turns out a lot of people are not into "buying" games on a cloud service that you don't actually own and then having to rely on a stable internet connection between ones home, ISP, and cloud gaming provider. Local storage for the win!

Nah. Gamepass type services are absolutely the future. Reliable and relatively inexpensive. Microsoft is killing it on that front - it's a great experience.

Stadia was just a poor contender. Never had the support it needed from developers because they all knew Google would likely do THIS. I have no idea why Phil Harrison is wasting his life at Google. He did great stuff at Sony. Not so, Google. Too much inertia, and no one takes them seriously for gaming in the developer community.

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What did the high end PC to say to the cloud gaming provider taking over everything? Not today! lol.
There will always be a demand for non cloud based gaming (which makes up close to 100% of the gaming market today). Cloud gaming is not going to take over when internet connections are still often unstable, and there's reliability issues between ISP and cloud gaming providers. If cloud gaming is so great why did Stadia fail? Enough said. No matter how good cloud gaming becomes it will never offer as good of an experience as running the game locally on a high end PC or console such as the Series X and PS5.
Also, have you seen how well the PC hardware market is doing? The PC gaming market is doing extremely well. That's not going away. You can have a game pass type service, as with Microsoft's, and still download, install, and run the game locally.

Stadia failed because it was a bad product with bad support from a company with a history of cutting product abruptly, that's it.

High end PC gaming is nice, but it's too expensive for the mass market, simple as that. Console gaming has achieved the "good enough" level that satisfies the majority of the active gaming public.

Gamepass is incredibly stable and a great value if you're a gamer, and once you try its cloud gaming, your need to "buy" games decreases dramatically. Plus the streaming future will let you play games on many devices. My son plays XBOX on TV, but my wife and daughter stream their XBOX games to their ipads and play with an xbox controller. Works great.

So yeah, cloud gaming is just taking off now that we have a real contender in Gamepass showing it can be done well, but it IS the future. The only question is how long will it take to dominate. For console, I don't think it will even be another decade since it already has 25 million subscribers in the short time its been around. Stadia topped out at only about 10% or less of that - it bombed.

#122 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Whatever happens local storage for gaming, whether it be console or PC, will always be here and offer the best experience. Cloud gaming will always have to deal with internet reliability issues and most of all latency. Latency has been the ultimate killer against cloud gaming as many games, especially FPS's, demand low latency.

...there will always be those gamers that prefer the best experience possible and that will continue to be on a high end PC / console with a high end display playing games stored locally.

Of course. But the number of gamers that are into PC gaming with the best hardware for their 7 extra frames per second on their shooters is small relative to the market. Most of the market will adopt cloud gaming because it's convenient, cheap and portable. That will only grow are network connections continue to improve. It's the VHS/Beta thing. Is PC Gaming awesome with great (expensive) hardware? Absolutely. Is relatively inexpensive cloud console gaming good enough? Yes.

In the market, "good enough" almost always wins.

#124 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think you are really underestimating just how large the PC and console market is. Good enough has never cut it for that market. Nvidia for example has a market cap of over $300 billion. Yes they have a cloud gaming offering but 99% of the their profits comes from PC and console hardware.

And 70% or more of that high-end PC hardware is (well, WAS) going to crypto miners, not gaming. Let's be clear about that. The crypto implosion has created massive problems for Nvidia crashing their stock this year (still way down) and showing how reliant they were on that non-gaming market for their crazy gaming graphics card earnings every year, and backing them up with mountains of unsold GPU hardware. Nvidia's solution to clear that unprecedented backlog no one wants is to make things so onerous on partners, their big partner EVGA just QUIT the relationship. No, things are not good in Nvidia town, and it's not because of the small section of their high end card market that goes to gaming.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/evga-terminates-partnership-with-nvidia-and-leaves-the-gpu-market-3311980

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, local gaming on a high end PC offers far more benefits then 7 extra frames per second. Not sure where that number came from.

I was being facetious. Exaggerating the mindset of (mainly) the first person shooter community to obsess over the few extra frames they get by overclocking a bit more or changing their bus latency or whatever hoops they choose to go through to have bragging rights.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My gaming PC is setup to run games at native 4K@120hz, HDR enabled, and play on a Gsync monitor. Please find me a cloud solution that offers something comparable with no latency. There's isn't, not even close.

There doesn't have to be. The mass market doesn't KNOW what Gsync is, and definitely doesn't care. Is Gsync great? Absolutely. But like shingles, the mass market doesn't care.

Literally, "good enough" ALMOST ALWAYS WINS the mass market. Beta vs VHS, Wired headphones vs Bluetooth Headphones, etc, etc. It's not an uncommon phenomenon.

Cloud gaming isn't for you right now. But you're not the market for it.

(And just to be clear, I'm not endorsing Stadia's approach to cloud gaming - it SUCKED which is why they're dead. I'm talking the kind of thing Microsoft is doing with Gamepass)

This Aint For You.gifThis Aint For You.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/google-stadia-what-do-you-think?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.