4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by jalpert
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled.jpg
GUEST_03ef37d5-e279-4107-b8e5-4f85e9012dac (resized).jpg

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 86 days ago

Probably has to do with distance to data center or network setup locally. I guess Richmond is close enough to DC to give me a good connection with fewer hops.

#102 86 days ago

I’m in Denver, not Los Angeles but not Tupelo either.

#103 86 days ago

Network setup locally is almost certainly the problem. Mac over wireless?

Try wired and see if there's a driver issue and rule out setup stuff like using 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz.

#104 85 days ago

Wired at work, 5ghz at home.

However, 5ghz should work. Even according to their own site. Playing on a laptop is useless when you need to hard wire into the router. And how about playing on phones?

#105 85 days ago

I use 5GHz at home, no issues. Mesh network, it all depends on your network setup. Wireless has a ton of variables, and trying it hardwired at your home would eliminate several. As to the wired at work, I have no idea - guest network with lower speed, 10/100 instead of 1000, there are just a ton of possibilities. If you set up the network, PM me and we can talk tech in more detail. If not, you might not be able to find the answer to your work issue. The network setup has to make a big difference.

Playing on the phone works great for me as well, but obviously something about our setups are different. Cable is obviously great at bursts of downstream traffic, but poor at upstream and sustained downstream - it's gotten a lot better at the sustained in recent years. Not much goes up from Stadia, I wouldn't think, and you have such a tremendous difference in the amount of bandwidth available compared to what I have. Out of curiosity, have you tried contacting Google? They might have a couple of firewall/router settings to check. Will likely advise you try hardwired to eliminate variables first (it says that on the setup docs - I ignored that part as well ), but they might have more solid info than me.

#106 85 days ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

...except it comes with two games a month (thus far) and the first three months are free. How much is Xbox live again (month-to-month $10 with two free games [current gen])? PS plus (month-to-month $10 with 2 free games)? Also, as I've mentioned before, the controller works with whatever even if you don't want to use Stadia. I also use it to play steam games using remote play.
The fud and disinformation in reviews and threads like these are breathtaking.
...why would a rough launch cause them to cancel a ton of in development games? The launch was a 100% presale, so the money is already there anyway.
...why would someone processing an RMA tell you that they were going to destroy the controllers or whatever? How would they even know? Again, these are products that can be used elsewhere. Half of the price is the Chromecast ultra.
Stadia versions are PC ports that are minorly changed. Mostly to add controller button graphics where needed.
The Xbox one s also doesn't do 4k, from my understanding? Notwithstanding whatever upscaling to get 60fps and a 4k image on some stadia games (the troubled pc port of rdr2 seems to be the worst offender - but that game sucks on PC right now anyway, hopefully rockstar makes some kind of massive patch to fix the bugs, and will almost certainly fix the visual fidelity on PC and stadia), I'll take 60fps over 30 if I have a choice.
I binged ffxv and finally beat it. That was 100% thanks to stadia as I just couldn't get into it on the PS4. Next game is an fps and also working well.
Anyway, I hope everyone gets to play some videogames over the weekend, whatever your platform of choice.

Xbox Live is $60 a year (who pays for it monthly, lol?). Plus you can usually get it for $40, there are deals all the time. Comes with 4 games a month. Xbox controller also works with PC. Xbox game pass is $10 a month and has 100+ legit games. Xbox one S upscales to 4k, similar to what Stadia is doing currently. Xbox one X is true 4k.

I'm a gamer. I own an xbox one x, ps4 pro, switch, and a gaming pc. But without original content, I can't see any reason to get Stadia. That's the key thing that's missing. Now gaming will probably eventually go to this model, but I don't see it happening for at least 10+ years because people's internet connections are just too inconsistent. If I want to game on the go, why wouldn't I just buy a switch? I just can't see the use case. Playing RDR2 on a phone would be miserable, lol. If I'm at home, a gaming pc or console would provide a superior experience.

The idea is sound but the infrastructure required to make it a reality for most people just isn't in place currently. It's kind of the same reason that electric cars are slow to take off, because there aren't enough charging stations everywhere to make it feasible for most people. For people in certain areas it's great, just not reality for most.

#107 85 days ago

On the Xbox front, I was trying to compare apples to apples. Stadia hasn't unveiled a yearly subscription. Maybe they will. PS plus rarely has sales on their stuff. Xbox considers it a loss leader, I guess, like gamepass. The four games - two are current gen and two are a past gen, if I understand correctly. As far as who pays month to month, kids, mostly, via the cards.

The upscaling thing happens on a couple games, I suppose, but I haven't seen it on the ones I'm playing. I realize that that doesn't mean some people really love destiny 2 or rdr2 and won't be disappointed. For rdr2, they have to patch a bunch of bugs in the PC version anyway before I'd consider it. I own it on PS4, but if the load times are improved and they fix the graphical fidelity, I'd consider rebuying it because my tv time is so limited.

Regarding the controller, you're right. Aside from the steam controller (sometimes ok), there were no alternatives to Microsoft's controllers, really, for a number of years. Logitech would trot out an inferior controller every once in a while just to stay in the market I guess, but due to the rise of xinput, you can't use a generic USB gamepad on most games nowadays. The stadia controller can speak the language of the Xbox controller, so I can have my alternative and still game with steam without pulling out the mouse and keyboard.

It works for me, and I'm not here to convince you that it'll work for you. The phone is the use case I'm least likely to use, unless I'm travelling for work, in which case I'd probably opt to bring a laptop. My laptop of choice is a Chromebook with a Linux chroot setup. I could install steam and stream that way, hope everything is up at home, and working as best it can with no pop-ups (they don't render with remote play), or I could go to stadia.com and not have to worry about that stuff.

I am also a gamer, I don't own xbox stuff, but I have a PS4 and a switch and play PC games. The switch was coming with me to work every day, but I don't have to carry a thing to use Stadia. I bike to work and have a very small backpack. Saves space and keeps my lunch from getting crushed. Plus the joycons are not fun to use for long periods. Mine are used for ring fit when I get home, and one is starting to drift. Heads up for anyone who cares: I think ring fit is what destroyed it.

I totally agree about the internet connections being inconsistent currently. However, as I mentioned before, it might not take 10 years for the change to occur. Time will tell. But a change does have to occur.

#108 85 days ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

On the Xbox front, I was trying to compare apples to apples. Stadia hasn't unveiled a yearly subscription. Maybe they will. PS plus rarely has sales on their stuff. Xbox considers it a loss leader, I guess, like gamepass. The four games - two are current gen and two are a past gen, if I understand correctly. As far as who pays month to month, kids, mostly, via the cards.
The upscaling thing happens on a couple games, I suppose, but I haven't seen it on the ones I'm playing. I realize that that doesn't mean some people really love destiny 2 or rdr2 and won't be disappointed. For rdr2, they have to patch a bunch of bugs in the PC version anyway before I'd consider it. I own it on PS4, but if the load times are improved and they fix the graphical fidelity, I'd consider rebuying it because my tv time is so limited.
Regarding the controller, you're right. Aside from the steam controller (sometimes ok), there were no alternatives to Microsoft's controllers, really, for a number of years. Logitech would trot out an inferior controller every once in a while just to stay in the market I guess, but due to the rise of xinput, you can't use a generic USB gamepad on most games nowadays. The stadia controller can speak the language of the Xbox controller, so I can have my alternative and still game with steam without pulling out the mouse and keyboard.
It works for me, and I'm not here to convince you that it'll work for you. The phone is the use case I'm least likely to use, unless I'm travelling for work, in which case I'd probably opt to bring a laptop. My laptop of choice is a Chromebook with a Linux chroot setup. I could install steam and stream that way, hope everything is up at home, and working as best it can with no pop-ups (they don't render with remote play), or I could go to stadia.com and not have to worry about that stuff.
I am also a gamer, I don't own xbox stuff, but I have a PS4 and a switch and play PC games. The switch was coming with me to work every day, but I don't have to carry a thing to use Stadia. I bike to work and have a very small backpack. Saves space and keeps my lunch from getting crushed. Plus the joycons are not fun to use for long periods. Mine are used for ring fit when I get home, and one is starting to drift. Heads up for anyone who cares: I think ring fit is what destroyed it.
I totally agree about the internet connections being inconsistent currently. However, as I mentioned before, it might not take 10 years for the change to occur. Time will tell. But a change does have to occur.

I just don't know why I would use Stadia as it stands currently. In theory not having to upgrade hardware, zero load times, no downloads, etc sound awesome but currently it doesn't really work any better than just having the game on a pc, in fact it's a worse experience for the most part, like it needed another 12 months of development than just streaming games from their pc's to your screen. Evidently it must work well in your area but not others because the only positive review I've seen from anyone is yours. Giant Bomb podcast was especially hard on it. It doesn't win on cost or performance. Now if it was $10 for unlimited games, that would be a great deal, but when you have to buy the games in addition to the $10 per month, it just doesn't seem competitive to game pass. Like I just got Outer Worlds for free, if Stadia could give you 100 base games + give you brand new AAA games for free then it would definitely be worth a look.

4 weeks later
#109 57 days ago

Cancelled google products. Will stadia join this list in 2020?

#110 56 days ago

I hope so. Tried to play from a 100/100 fiber and it just hangs on texting connection. (Or similar).

Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Cancelled google products. Will stadia join this list in 2020?

1 month later
#111 16 days ago

Absolutely no reason to deal with the stadia bullshit now:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/

Works well wired or 5ghz.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 209.00
$ 26.95
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.95
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 99.95
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Dystopian Mods Italia
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 117.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 299.00
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside