(Topic ID: 321409)

Google Nest Thermostat Help

By Parkshow30

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ecobee3 (resized).PNG
    B4603D1D-7B3B-4233-804C-961864109AA8 (resized).jpeg
    05909FEE-CE34-4E66-82D4-236309972150 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Before I bought a google nest thermostat I used their online compatibility guide. I entered the wires in that I had and it said it would work. I then bought a google nest and while following the app installation guide it asks you to enter in what wires you have. Entering in the EXACT SAME wires as I did with their compatibility guide the app says it won’t work. I took a picture of my wire setup and what the google nest setup is. Anyone familiar with these able to tell me if it is compatible or if I just need to return it? If it is compatible, what do I plug in where? Thanks

05909FEE-CE34-4E66-82D4-236309972150 (resized).jpeg05909FEE-CE34-4E66-82D4-236309972150 (resized).jpegB4603D1D-7B3B-4233-804C-961864109AA8 (resized).jpegB4603D1D-7B3B-4233-804C-961864109AA8 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

Best to check with your AC guy. Units that are not compatible CAN be wired to work with Nest but many repot odd/unusual behavior….my unit is not compatible and my AC guy told me yes it could be hooked up but it may not work correctly and to not bother….YMMV. I would look for alternative thermostats that are compatible with your unit instead. I hardly ever touch the thermostat as is…my house stays at 78 in the summer and maybe 68-70 in the winter….so really not a huge need for a smart thermostat…but in Houston we basically have 2 seasons…hot and cold.

If you can look at your wiring at the air handler you can get a better idea of how it is wired…no expert here but what is confusing is you have a White Wire labeled C but I believe the Nest is needs the Blue wire which they refer to as C. Your picture shows a blue wire but I don’t see a label. Would really need to see the wiring on the air handler side to verify the wiring and should be easy to figure it out from there how to wire it up.

You can Google these Nest issues to see if it’s worth it or to get a unit that is compatible. The reality is a QUALITY thermostat will be pretty accurate VS a cheap one and should work fine. Smart thermostats themselves do not save you money…it’s all up to the temp you run your unit at and how efficient it is.

Hope that helps.

#3 1 year ago

Do you have a heat pump or geothermal?

#4 1 year ago

https://www.lennox.com/owners/assistance/product-literature

Pull up your thermostat here. If it’s a multistage unit, odds are the nest won’t work.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

https://www.lennox.com/owners/assistance/product-literature
    Pull up your thermostat here. If it’s a multistage unit, odds are the nest won’t work.

Multistage. Thanks I will just return it.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Best to check with your AC guy. Units that are not compatible CAN be wired to work with Nest but many repot odd/unusual behavior….my unit is not compatible and my AC guy told me yes it could be hooked up but it may not work correctly and to not bother….YMMV. I would look for alternative thermostats that are compatible with your unit instead. I hardly ever touch the thermostat as is…my house stays at 78 in the summer and maybe 68-70 in the winter….so really not a huge need for a smart thermostat…but in Houston we basically have 2 seasons…hot and cold.
    If you can look at your wiring at the air handler you can get a better idea of how it is wired…no expert here but what is confusing is you have a White Wire labeled C but I believe the Nest is needs the Blue wire which they refer to as C. Your picture shows a blue wire but I don’t see a label. Would really need to see the wiring on the air handler side to verify the wiring and should be easy to figure it out from there how to wire it up.
    You can Google these Nest issues to see if it’s worth it or to get a unit that is compatible. The reality is a QUALITY thermostat will be pretty accurate VS a cheap one and should work fine. Smart thermostats themselves do not save you money…it’s all up to the temp you run your unit at and how efficient it is.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks, looks like the nest won’t work for us. We wanted a smart thermostat for when we go out of town we turn the heat down in the winter but would like to come home to a warm house and in the summer we turn down the AC but would like to come home to a cool house. Day to day we barely touch the thermostat.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

Multistage. Thanks I will just return it.

Went through the same crap 2 years ago when I had to update my HVAC. Had a Honeywell t9 set up with multi room sensors and the new unit had its own thing for the 16 or some odd stages.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

Thanks, looks like the nest won’t work for us. We wanted a smart thermostat for when we go out of town we turn the heat down in the winter but would like to come home to a warm house and in the summer we turn down the AC but would like to come home to a cool house. Day to day we barely touch the thermostat.

There are other brands besides Nest that are smart that could be compatible and allow you to remotely control your unit. Look into that and I am sure you can find one that will work most likely. That is your best option.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

There are other brands besides Nest that are smart that could be compatible and allow you to remotely control your unit. Look into that and I am sure you can find one that will work most likely. That is your best option.

I will look into them. The bummer was I looked at the google nest online before I bought it and it said it would work. I just tried it again. Sure enough their online guide says I’m good to go and the app says no. Now I know more about what wires I have and what they do so I should be able to find one that works. Thanks

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

I will look into them. The bummer was I looked at the google nest online before I bought it and it said it would work. I just tried it again. Sure enough their online guide says I’m good to go and the app says no. Now I know more about what wires I have and what they do so I should be able to find one that works. Thanks

Yeah…their claim of like 95% compatibility is a stretch I think. You should be able to find one with online connectivity that is directly compatible that will work. Nest is just a brand so don’t get hung up that it may not be the brand that works for you.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Yeah…their claim of like 95% compatibility is a stretch I think. You should be able to find one with online connectivity that is directly compatible that will work. Nest is just a brand so don’t get hung up that it may not be the brand that works for you.

Lenox should make one that works with your set up. I had to download their App, but it at least works for what you’re looking for.

#12 1 year ago

iComfort is the app

#13 1 year ago

Get an Ecobee. I'd get a Premium. I think it should handle what you got, but research before ordering. You should qualify for a $50 rebate through DTE I believe. This is a pretty good price with a smart sensor 2 pack.

ecobee3 (resized).PNGecobee3 (resized).PNG

https://www.amazon.com/ecobee-Thermostat-Premium-Quality-Monitor/dp/B0B1X7G9J2

#14 1 year ago

Doing a little more research and the google nest learning thermostat accommodates multistage heating and cooling. My wife had wanted a google one as she already uses the google home app a lot. We have a google home mini on all 3 of our floors that we use for music or the broadcast function and we use the google app to control a few lights in the house and Christmas lights in the winter.
    I will research all the different ones and see what works and the pros and cons of each.
    Thanks everyone for the help, even for non pinball questions pinside is the best site!

#15 1 year ago

Annnnd I’m an idiot. I started looking at the comparability for all the different thermostats and turns out google was saying yes it would work on a nest learning not a regular nest. At the time I didn’t even know there were 2 different kinds of nests.
    The ecobee says I would have to send them a picture a chat with support to see if it would work, one of the wires I entered in was iffy apparently.
    So I’ll keep looking and see what fits best

#16 1 year ago

Sorry, late to the party. You have the the cheap nest. The higher end nest can control 2 stages of heat and cool. The Eco bee can as well too (from the ones I've seen) As a tech and installer, I personally hate the "smart" thermostats but as long as you have a common wire (as you do) you should be okay. Just make sure the stat can do 2 stages of heating and cooling and you will be fine.

Edit: The only iffy wires I see are the D and H. The H, I'm going to guess, operates your humidifier. The D likely sends a signal down to the blower when the humidity threshold is high. It will tell the blower to slow down a little bit for a better dehumidification.

#17 1 year ago

I had a basic nest from the power company. I needed to add a remote sensor to control thermostat from upstairs and found out I needed a different one, so I upgraded. If you have an advanced system you might be better off with other brands that are more expensive

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

I will research all the different ones and see what works and the pros and cons of each.

There is 1 thing about the Ecobee I don't like, and I think most of them have this problem. I have an Ecobee 3. If the C wire runs a little hot, it can affect the temp reading of the thermostat. I've read it's because the Ecobee uses mosfets instead of relays. I had to install an isolation relay between the air handler and thermostat to resolve. My Honeywell Wifi thermostat did not have this problem. It's a nice thermostat if you are just looking for basic remote control functionality. This is a newer version of it. You can get them dirt cheap on Ebay.

https://www.honeywellhome.com/us/en/products/air/thermostats/wifi-thermostats/wifi-color-touchscreen-thermostat-rth9585wf1004-u/

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Sorry, late to the party. You have the the cheap nest. The higher end nest can control 2 stages of heat and cool. The Eco bee can as well too (from the ones I've seen) As a tech and installer, I personally hate the "smart" thermostats but as long as you have a common wire (as you do) you should be okay. Just make sure the stat can do 2 stages of heating and cooling and you will be fine.
    Edit: The only iffy wires I see are the D and H. The H, I'm going to guess, operates your humidifier. The D likely sends a signal down to the blower when the humidity threshold is high. It will tell the blower to slow down a little bit for a better dehumidification.

Yeah, our new cooling unit is something like 16 stages. It’s crazy. But at least the supplied thermostat is light years above the nest and eco bee.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.