Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FD845203-1749-43B5-8997-A5BDF7999C70.png
    IMG_20200109_132010 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200109_132308 (resized).jpg
    20200616_110630 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I picked up a SS yesterday and a previous owner put double sided tape all over the ramps. Trying to protect them i guess. I tried goof off to remove it and it made the plastic very cloudy. How do I clear it back up and what do I use to get the old adhesive off?

20200616_110630 (resized).jpg20200616_110630 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Can try the Novus route and if that doesn't work try flame polishing it!

#3 3 years ago

Goo gone, NOT goof off for tape residue.

People been mixing this up forever always with disastrous results. You are lucky none of that stuff dripped on to the playfield.

#4 3 years ago

Start the novus 2 now with fingers crossed....then yes, flame on.

#5 3 years ago

The novus doesn't seem to be doing anything to help

#6 3 years ago

How do you flame, has anyone here tried with good results? I know I can watch online, but anyone reallyvtry?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

How do you flame, has anyone here tried with good results? I know I can watch online, but anyone reallyvtry?

Super easy. Just keep the flame moving and do it in short bursts, preferably with a push button igniter on the torch.

Before:
    IMG_20200109_132010 (resized).jpgIMG_20200109_132010 (resized).jpg

After:
    IMG_20200109_132308 (resized).jpgIMG_20200109_132308 (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Super easy. Just keep the flame moving and do it in short bursts, preferably with a push button igniter on the torch.
    Before:
    [quoted image]
    After:
    [quoted image]

Wow, the before and after pics really show the difference. Nice work!

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Wow, the before and after pics really show the difference. Nice work!

Just gotta make sure to get hem C.L.E.A.N....antyihg left on there will melt into the ramp.

#10 3 years ago

Go buy a small hand held propane torch. As previously stated the ramp must be clean but the other secret is to keep the flame moving and at a minimum distance of ~6".

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Just gotta make sure to get hem C.L.E.A.N....antyihg left on there will melt into the ramp.

Right. You'll have a pube forever encased in the ramp if you aren't careful.

#12 3 years ago

Goo Gone! Go to Lowe’s and buy a bottle and never buy that shitty goof off again!

FD845203-1749-43B5-8997-A5BDF7999C70.pngFD845203-1749-43B5-8997-A5BDF7999C70.png
    #13 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Before:
    [quoted image]
    After:
    [quoted image]

Nice!!

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Goo Gone! Go to Lowe’s and buy a bottle and never buy that shitty goof off again!
    [quoted image]

goof off is great, just probably too powerful for most pinball things.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

goof off is great, just probably too powerful for most pinball things.

It's great for stripping away paint down to the wood. There's maybe ONE pinball application it's good for - removing latex brown paint that's covering original cabinet art. It's very rare anybody would need it for this purpose in pinball.

The ONLY reason most people in pinball acquire a bottle of Goof Off is because they confuse it with Goo Gone, which is exactly what happened here.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's great for stripping away paint down to the wood. There's maybe ONE pinball application it's good for - removing latex brown paint that's covering original cabinet art. It's very rare anybody would need it for this purpose in pinball.
    The ONLY reason most people in pinball acquire a bottle of Goof Off is because they confuse it with Goo Gone, which is exactly what happened here.

I had an F14 that was painted army green. Goof off was even a little to aggressive for removing this without affecting the original paint.

#17 3 years ago

Sorry to say it, but goof off is a plastic destroyer. I hope you can polish it out. Not sure if the flame will work. That is more for scratches and scuffs. We used to buy games at auction games sales in Ohio and indy. They used a really nasty sticker for bidder numbers. I ruined so many headers trying to get that glue off of them.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Goo gone, NOT goof off for tape residue.
    People been mixing this up forever always with disastrous results. You are lucky none of that stuff dripped on to the playfield.

I have used goof off on a playfield. A few times on wms dmd games. Sometimes you get desperate and do desperate things. Never ruined one.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Before:
    [quoted image]
    After:
    [quoted image]

Beautiful

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I had an F14 that was painted army green. Goof off was even a little to aggressive for removing this without affecting the original paint.

I have used denatured alcohal on cabinets with latex. It can turned blue original paint slightly cloudy on one machine, but polish and wax brought it back to blue again. Other than that, works great. No metal scrapers, used plastic putty knife, and plastic kitchen scrubby NOT a scratch pad, one of those curly plastic things.

#20 3 years ago

Intersting....
    Just yesterday I was curious if any of those headlight cleaner kits for clearing up "the fog" on car lenses could be used for ramps?
    Thoughts?

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Intersting....
    Just yesterday I was curious if any of those headlight cleaner kits for clearing up "the fog" on car lenses could be used for ramps?
    Thoughts?

They are the same thing basically. My headlights look the same using those or Novus. Just abrasive material in one form or another,

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goof-off-on-ramp-did-i-ruin-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.