IMG_4851 (resized).JPG
IMG_4848 (resized).JPG
20180808_202643 (resized).jpg
20180808_202601 (resized).jpg
20180808_202524 (resized).jpg
20180808_192610 (resized).jpg
20180808_190707 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have this Spin Out I'm cleaning up. The cab is really yellow - I think it's been varnished with some oil based product back in the day, but it may just be cigarette smoke. Not too sure. There's some touchups so somebody at some point did some restoration on it and it would make sense that they'd varnished it afterwards.
Anyway I wasn't planning on doing this but just tried some Goof Off and Magic Eraser on the top of the head.

This is what it looks like. The point between the yellow being gone and removing the speckles is pretty narrow so I think I may try to do the whole cab and then go back and redo the speckles. It looks like there's the risk of getting some white off too but so far it's not too bad.
Also the head is the yellowest part of the machine.

Here's what it looks like.

20180808_190707 (resized).jpg20180808_190707 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Not so sure yet... It looks like its the paint thats yellowed.
If i do go through with the whole thing i may need to lightly sand and buff the whole thing so that the sheen is consistent.
What do you guys think?

20180808_192610 (resized).jpg20180808_192610 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Not so sure yet... It looks like its the paint thats yellowed.
If i do go through with the whole thing i may need to lightly sand and buff the whole thing so that the sheen is consistent.
What do you guys think?
[quoted image]

Yea, it looks like a layer of Smoke and Grease. was probably in a Pub at some point. I just got a Chicago Coin super star from the same year, and its just as bad. Now I know what to use, thanks! and keep us posted!

#4 5 years ago

Yeah maybe not such a good idea after all. It definitely is the paint itself thats yellowed and pretty deep too.
By the time it becomes white its too close to the wood to try and even it out.
Ill just keep it as is and if i do want it white ill have to repaint the cab.

20180808_202524 (resized).jpg20180808_202524 (resized).jpg20180808_202601 (resized).jpg20180808_202601 (resized).jpg20180808_202643 (resized).jpg20180808_202643 (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago

This is what you want to remove nicotine from a Pinball machine.

Zep Industrial Purple.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zep-Commercial-Industrial-Purple-Cleaner-1-gal/23795008

Zep is what I used to clean up this Snow Derby that was a filthy mess with nicotine.

CAUTION: Use heavy rubber gloves to protect your hands.

IMG_4780 (resized).JPGIMG_4780 (resized).JPGIMG_4819 (resized).JPGIMG_4819 (resized).JPGIMG_4848 (resized).JPGIMG_4848 (resized).JPGIMG_4851 (resized).JPGIMG_4851 (resized).JPG
#6 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is what you want to remove nicotine from a Pinball machine.
Zep Industrial Purple.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zep-Commercial-Industrial-Purple-Cleaner-1-gal/23795008
Zep is what I used to clean up this Snow Derby that was a filthy mess with nicotine.
CAUTION: Use heavy rubber gloves to protect your hands.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you use a magic eraser with the purple? How did it affect the paint on the cabinet

#7 5 years ago

Spray 9 works to remove nicotine great on pins too.
That's 100% cigarette smoke stains on your spin out.

I did it on my Star Pool today. Didn't take before pics but it was pretty bad.

received_228066734714199 (resized).jpegreceived_228066734714199 (resized).jpeg
#8 5 years ago

Both look like good products.
Did the Spray Nine attack the paint? The pink looks a bit faded, is it because of the product or was it already this way?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

Did you use a magic eraser with the purple? How did it affect the paint on the cabinet

No. It did not affect the paint but it sure affected my hands by not using gloves. I was sorry for 3 months after using this stuff. Also, if you spray it from a spray bottle it will atomize and if you breathe it you will wish you hadn't. It is powerful stuff.

I used terry cloth dish wash cloths. I did not complete the cab beforeI sold the pin but what worked best was to soak a dish cloth and let it sit on an area of the cab for a minute or so to really get the nicotine to break loose. Actually, I did this on the back box before I installed it to the cab. So, really, you would want your pin disassembled so you can have all areas on top at one time or another and then you can your can lay a cloth down and let it soak.

Don't fog

#10 5 years ago

The pink looks a bit faded

sadly I think that's red. look at where the legs go

#11 5 years ago

I have had a lot of success using Super Clean. See link to post and pics

Use gloves, dont breathe it in and wipe down with wet clean rag after treating to neutralize and stop it from working on the paint

When i sprayed it, you could watch the nicotine run right off

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-cleaning-mean-green#post-4450701

#12 5 years ago

I've always used Mean Green to clean off nicotine stains. If it's really bad, I'll massage the cleaner in gently with a green kitchen scrubber, let sit a minute, then wipe it out with a terry cloth. It never removes the paint, and it does a really good job at brightening the cabinet. Plus it's cheap. You can find the stuff at the dollar store.

However, I might have to give Super Clean a try. Those results look really nice, MT45.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Did the Spray Nine attack the paint? The pink looks a bit faded, is it because of the product or was it already this way?

Was already like that. I've used spray 9 on every pin and arcade I've owned that wasn't NIB.
And all most all of them had some brown gunk come off. Never any issues with paint or decals.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I have had a lot of success using Super Clean. See link to post and pics
Use gloves, dont breathe it in and wipe down with wet clean rag after treating to neutralize and stop it from working on the paint
When i sprayed it, you could watch the nicotine run right off
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-cleaning-mean-green#post-4450701

Yeah that's exactly what I have had happen with using spray 9. And dealt with today. Gross, but works amazing.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Yeah that's exactly what I have had happen with using spray 9. And dealt with today. Gross, but works amazing.

Alright I'll try that out, thanks for the tips!

#16 5 years ago

Such a great game!... oh wait, that is my username, so I am a bit biased. Ha. Mine came the same way - nicotine yellow. I used Krud Kutter from Home Depot. Here she is today. No touch ups (except backglass). Good luck!

20180809_084221 (resized).jpg20180809_084221 (resized).jpg

#18 5 years ago

Thank you! 9 months into ownership and I still play it almost every single day... still never got all 4 letters and all 7 numbers... just keeps me coming back.

The original Krud Kutter... spray on, let it drip for 20 seconds, wipe away... takes a few treatments... 2 or 3 and a good rinse off to get residual residue off, but i couldn't be happier. Don't let it sit on the surface too long as you dont want to warp the cabinet.

Screenshot_20180809-124537 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180809-124537 (resized).png
#19 5 years ago
Quoted from spinout:

Such a great game!... oh wait, that is my username, so I am a bit biased. Ha. Mine came the same way - nicotine yellow. I used Krud Kutter from Home Depot. Here she is today. No touch ups (except backglass). Good luck!
[quoted image]

Looks very clean. Is there a before picture of your Spin Out to view?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Anyway I wasn't planning on doing this but just tried some Goof Off and Magic Eraser on the top of the head

The Magic Eraser might be to aggressive. Have you tried the Goof Off with just a stiff brush? Simple Green (mixed with water), Original Fantastic will also remove nicotine. There are others, just do not over soak the wood and art work. Missing some areas will be fine, wait a day or two then clean it again. Try to avoid streaks as the chemical runs down he cabinet, as those cleaner streaks will be harder to eliminate.

#21 5 years ago

You have to be careful with Goof Off. It used to be the old timers go to for removing latex homeowner repaints. The main ingredient was Xylene I believe. At some point they changed the formula to include acetone. It will eat through latex or oil based paints. So with some vigorous rubbing it will burn through your original cabinet paint. I learned this the hard way.

#22 5 years ago

Ammonia & water 50/50 mix , nicotine stain will be removed with out any damage to EM artwork, did this with my Pirates Gold and worked great.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Looks very clean. Is there a before picture of your Spin Out to view?

Sure! Oddly, I don't have a side view, but the whole thing was more or less shades of this grime. Using Krud Kutter it dripped off and was truly gross... and smelled bad. You don't want to over do it either (don't leave it on too long) as it is sold in the paint isle to remove latex paint off your floor etc. However, as soon as I started to see any white paint (3rd spray and rub treatment I believe) etc. I stopped. Honestly, when I got the machine I had no idea it wasn't suppose to be yellow until I saw photos of other Spin Outs... then I went this route. This photos is probably after I already did the sides and hadn't removed all the metal on the front to clean further.

spinout-yellow (resized).jpgspinout-yellow (resized).jpg

#24 5 years ago

Alright - so I tried the Krud Kutter and I didn't feel my eyes burning and I noticed it was environment-friendly so I figured it wasn't good enough for pinball.
I tried the Zep Purple and nearly burned my hands off, and it did great work on the lower cab - got it almost all white. The head (maybe because it's higher up and got more smoke because of it?) - a few spots I should have stopped earlier and I went a bit through the paint, other spots are still a bit yellow.

Overall, looks much better than it did before, but no magic - I guess if you want it perfect you gotta go for a full repaint.
Good enough for what I'm aiming for - rust removing, smoke cleaning, rubber replacing, PF waxing and such. Will post pics when I'm done.

To be honest, maybe I could have gotten good results with the KK too but wasn't too patient with it and moved over to the Zep after one shot.

Thanks to all for the tips!

IMG_1709 (resized).JPGIMG_1709 (resized).JPGIMG_1711 (resized).JPGIMG_1711 (resized).JPG
#25 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I tried the Zep Purple and nearly burned my hands off,

Go to Walmart and get some hand lotion. You want Gold Bond Ultimate Healing with Aloe. If your hands are hurting this will make the hurt go away.

I remember something of what I did with my back box. I laid it on its side and sprayed on the Zep Purple and let it set for a few seconds. Doing it this way kept the Zep from dripping and the affected area got a good soak.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Go to Walmart and get some hand lotion. You want Gold Bond Ultimate Healing with Aloe. If your hands are hurting this will make the hurt go away.
I remember something of what I did with my back box. I laid it on its side and sprayed on the Zep Purple and let it set for a few seconds. Doing it this way kept the Zep from dripping and the affected area got a good soak.

Nah, I'm good - thanks for the tip but I was pretty careful in washing my hands afterwards.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goof-off-magic-eraser-gt-yellowed-varnish?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.