Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by MOSFET
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20230304_183208050 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230304_183122086 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Hi All,

Excuse the generic title, I don't have a theme or anything else to hook you in yet!
    I'm Craig, I've been running my own YouTube channel for a few years working on retro console mods and repairs.
    I'm kicking off my homebrew pinball machine build, everything pretty much from 0 knowledge and learning as I go along.
    I'll be going through everything from my choice of hardware through to the theme, layout through to no doubt the issues I have with the build on my YouTube channel and will post here throughout also.

I'm pretty much a pinball n00b so this is going to be a big build for me, I've done technincal builds and have experience in hardware and software so I'm pretty confident I can get through this, but will no doubt need help along the way.

Please feel free to input any lines of support, help or criticism (I can take it) along the way.

Thanks,

Craig (Goodwins Place)

#2 1 year ago

Congrats on your endeavor!
    There are many experts here you will find that can help you along the way.
    Not being one but I will watch with interest.
    Best of luck to you.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from 2manypins:

Congrats on your endeavor!
    There are many experts here you will find that can help you along the way.
    Not being one but I will watch with interest.
    Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the support, I know I've got a massive task ahead and really looking forward to the challenge.

1 month later
    #4 1 year ago

Just posted an update on my YouTube channel.

A bit of progress mainly finding out what I like and dislike in a game from playing as many as I could at Pinfest.

A bit of an update on some parts bought, further video to come on that, and some info on a PCB order too.

Lots to get moving on now.

#5 1 year ago

New video up and I'd really like support of anyone that has a YouTube account to vote on the theme selection, I've narrowed it down to 4 themes:
    - Short Circuit
    - Gremlins
    - Labyrinth
    - Echddoe (custom theme)

I'm getting people to comment on my video but happy if people comment here too as I can count them in to the total.

2 weeks later
    #6 1 year ago

My latest in my pinball build, the drama around trying to store a cabinet that I picked up.
    Voting on my theme closes tomorrow so that will give me some real direction on a few items I can work on remote whilst working away over next few weeks.

2 weeks later
    #7 1 year ago

And the theme is...

1 week later
    #8 1 year ago

Massive thank you to PinballDaze for having me over to raid his workshop, some great bits in here.
    Bought some extra parts on Pinball Heaven.
    And a quick trip to B&Q to get my first white wood!!! Getting real now.

2 months later
    #9 1 year ago

Any updates?

4 weeks later
    #10 1 year ago

WODKA it's been slow on the updates but lots been going on both pinball build and life in general.
    Will do a full update on this soon as picked up more parts and I'm almost at the point of no return where I need to start making things work on a playfield (wish me luck).

Some pics of the Open Pinball Project OPP boards I've been building, need to order a couple of parts but looking good so far.

PXL_20230304_183122086 (resized).jpgPXL_20230304_183122086 (resized).jpgPXL_20230304_183208050 (resized).jpgPXL_20230304_183208050 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #11 12 months ago

Quick question to leverage off this thread - been looking for a way to drive a single solenoid using a push button. Do I need to use a controller to drive a direct switch on a solenoid wing or can it be latched another way like connecting ground through the switch?

2 months later
    #12 9 months ago

Ok, been a while since the last update and there was lots to cover.
    Main reason is I needed a break after snapping one of the connectors and needed to get away from it for a few days.
    Glad I went back as I've done a few bits now and will update again soon.

#13 9 months ago

I'll be following, and I hope you get it dialed in, and enjoy your videos

#14 9 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I'll be following, and I hope you get it dialed in, and enjoy your videos

Thank you. Slow progress but glad you're enjoying the updates.

Another update already.... Surely not.

Just a quick one with my first flip of a ball, my reaction and a quick view of the power supply and OPP filter board.

#15 9 months ago

Congrats, first flips are always a great achievement.

#16 9 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

Congrats, first flips are always a great achievement.

Yes totally, keep up the good work

#17 9 months ago

Thanks for posting. Any idea what the problem behind the cooked MOSFET?

#18 9 months ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

the problem behind the cooked MOSFET?

Oops, I spent too long out in the sun...

#19 9 months ago

Ha ha. That could be about anywhere in the northern hemisphere this month.

Isn't there some thing about an old firmware problem in cobrapin relating to hold windings? I think he fixed it with an updated firmware. Not sure. But something tickles my brain on this problem

#20 9 months ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

old firmware problem

Oh, the bug fixed by OPP v2.4.0.0?
    "Fix bug where disabling all inputs to solenoid could result in solenoid being left on. This bug affected 2.3.0.0 and 2.3.0.5. Both of those versions have been removed." https://sourceforge.net/p/open-pinball-project/code/301/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goodwins-place-homebrew-pinball-log and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.