View topic image gallery

image.jpg
IMG_5575.JPG
IMG_5574.JPG
IMG_5573.JPG
IMG_5571.JPG
IMG_5572.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello again everyone...as some of you may recall, I donate EM pinball machines to various fund raising auctions and this one is set to go to auction tomorrow. This is the first time I've donated to this particular auction and really have no idea how many people will be there and how well this one will do.

Hopefully, it will bring in a decent amount as this one is raising funds for the heart center at Children's hospital of Wisconsin.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the game to be donated.

Dave

IMG_5571.JPGIMG_5571.JPG IMG_5572.JPGIMG_5572.JPG IMG_5573.JPGIMG_5573.JPG IMG_5574.JPGIMG_5574.JPG IMG_5575.JPGIMG_5575.JPG
#2 9 years ago

I believe that is one of Tim Arnold's favorites. I have a star action myself your back glass is in much better shape. GlwA. A real crapshoot at a charity action.

#3 9 years ago

It can be a crapshoot for sure but the games I've donated have all done pretty well. When it's a silent auction item they don't always do as well as they do when they're a live auction item but they've always seemed to have done pretty well.

Last year, in a different auction, I donated a Williams Blue Chip. About as pedestrian an EM game as there is and two guys got into a bidding war and it sold for $1800. That was crazy.

I will respond to this thread with the price it sold for if I get that information.

Dave

#4 9 years ago

Dave,

I think the key is "charity auction" - sometimes people feel if it is for charity they will overpay buy a good bit of money since it is going to charity. I know some guys, including myself, that go to a good many auctions (not pinball related) and if some stuff at the auction is for charity or it is an entire auction for a charity we sometimes pay crazy prices figuring it is a donation.

In the past I have won an item at a charity auction and then told the auctioneer to go ahead and sell it again (basically donating the item for a second time around right on the spot). Very often if you do this it gets people in the giving spirit and the second time around the item will bring even more money.

On the flip side I have also seen stuff bring 10 times what it is worth at a normal weekly or estate auction just because two guys don't like each other and they keep driving prices up trying to put the other guy out of business.

Please post when and where the auction is so anyone here that wants to help out can! And also anyone reading this please keep bumping it to the top to try to get a few of the local pinball guys to go help Dave get as much as possible for the charity!

Auctions can be very interesting at times. Thanks for doing what you do and hopefully a couple people with deep pockets will bid on that machine for your cause.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks too-many-pins. The auction that this is being sold at is a dinner/auction thing and I don't think they allow "walk-ups" to the event. It's also tonight at the Sheraton in Brookfield, WI (same place that MGC is held).

So, unfortunately, it's going to be sold to the highest bidder at the event tonight. Hopefully, we'll be welcoming a new person into the pinball hobby tonight.

Ultimately, whether it sells for $200 or $2000 doesn't really matter.

I usually post when I'm donating a game to encourage others to do the same. While game prices are higher than they have been in the past, you can usually find a decent EM game for a reasonable price. Do a reasonable shop job on it and you have a game that's ready to donate without a huge investment.

My payoff comes when I deliver the game to the new owners (I include delivery and set-up as part of the deal). It's always fun to get new people involved in the hobby.

Dave

#6 9 years ago

Dave,

You sound like my kind of guy - thanks for doing this! Nothing feels better than giving and it is a shame more people don't realize the rewards of being generous. When things are good I give as much as I can to good causes and when things are tough I still give what I can.

The world would be a much better place if more people would realize that you only need so much and being the richest many in the cemetery doesn't do anything for you or anyone else. We are all only here for a short time, if you look at the big picture, so my feeling is do as much as you can while you are here to make the world a better place.

Thanks again!
Skip

#7 9 years ago

Nice looking game and very good cause. I think it speaks very well of you to do this. I believe there are still mostly good people in the world. The bad eggs seem to be the ones we hear about. Obviously you're one of the good guys...

#8 9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I have to admit the first time I donated a game I was like a nervous mother hovering over the game, waiting and watching people to see if they were bidding. I just didn't want the game to sell for less than what it was worth as I'd have rather sold the game on my own and then donated the money rather than it selling for less than what it was worth.

However, my experience so far has been that it always sells for at least what it's worth (and typically more) and I think this is the 6th or 7th game I've donated.

In the end, even if it sells for less than I think it's worth, it was a donation and any money raised is a good thing.

For me, it's a win-win. It raises money for a good cause and it usually introduces someone new to the pinball hobby. It doesn't get much better than that.

Dave

#9 9 years ago

Dave that is exceptional. A feel good story that we do not read enough of. You need to be applauded. Since I just watched last night St. Vincent you are nominated Pinball Saint.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Last year, in a different auction, I donated a Williams Blue Chip. About as pedestrian an EM game as there is and two guys got into a bidding war and it sold for $1800.

While I would happily sell mine for $1800 (or less!) the truth is, there's a lot more going on with that game than most realize, and IMO it's one of the better EMs of that period. Artwork is pretty bad though...

#11 9 years ago

Ok. I just dropped it off and when I turned it on to make sure it worked all of the kids that were there helping out came over to check it out. I didn't expect that. It got plenty of play testing.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#12 9 years ago

Ok, just got home from the auction and the final price was $850. Not too bad at all. It played great all night long and the people that bought it are going to be first time pinball owners. Another family joins the ranks!

Had a few people ask about games and where to get them and such.

All in all, it was a great night.

Dave

#13 9 years ago

Not bad at all Dave. Money goes to a good cause. You introduced more people to pinball. Made a family happy. Well done.

#14 9 years ago

That is a decent price for that pin, more than what it might typically get here on pinside, but less than what it might go for at retail store, so new family owner can feel like they got a fair deal.
It is a fun simple EM with family friendly theme.

#15 9 years ago

Yeah, I was pretty happy with the price it sold for. As you said, they got it for a price that's below retail but more than they would have paid if they'd have just bought it outright. If I'd have been selling the game I'd have expected to get $500 or so for it.

I also was able to tell a few people about the MGC coming up in a couple of weeks and had a couple of other people ask me to help them find a pinball machine.

One of the bonuses of bringing a game to play at an auction is listening to the stories people tell you about how they played as a kid or they had a grandpa that had a game or just their memories of pinball in general.

Really had a lot of fun last night.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goodbye-williams-triple-action and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.