(Topic ID: 60711)

Goodbye Tomcat, Hello Whirlwind ..Mixed Emotions.

By bobhvacguy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by btw75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Well after some soul searching I have decided I am letting my Tomcat go.

It IS an ass kicking frustrating game. It drains balls, it wears you out. Someone here said it was BRUTAL. But my problem is that family and friends who are not in the hobby won't play it ("The ball goes STARIGHT DOWN THE HOLE!!")

I am lucky to get a million or 1.5 on it. It's like trying to SURVIVE, not win. There is no time to plan for the 'rules of the game' ... (What they H are they anyway?) I LED'd it, and it is a frickin' red white and blue Christmas tree. It's dazzling and blazing fast.

But it's not enough. I have been playing it more the last week or so, trying to say goodbye to it. This is my first machine I have let go. It's tough for me.

BUT I am excited for Whirlwind that will be completely shopped with almost new everything when I get it!

#2 10 years ago

Whirlwind is a great game too. You'll be glad you got it.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Yeah, I love my tomcat but would trade it for whirlwind in a heartbeat.

#4 10 years ago

I would love a Whirlwind sitting next to my Earthshaker, but not sure if I could part with my Tomcat. Was also my first game and still love it. Enjoy the Whirlwind! One of Lawlor's best.

#5 10 years ago

It's tough to let a pin go! I've owned four and let the first two go already. I can't afford to keep them if I want more games.

I know what you mean about 'playing it to say goodbye'. They are bittersweet times.

What I've found is that selling a pinball is much like selling a house. Because of the final work to make it nice for sale, it's ironically never been better than the day before you sell it!

#6 10 years ago

F14 is on my list. lt's fast, fun, and has an epic musical score.
Had a few Whirlwinds, overrated imho. (and i'm a BIG Lawlor fan) It's just too easy with the exception of the combo siren shot...

#7 10 years ago

F14 is a ruthless game. The music is amazing... the lights are amazing... the speed is amazing. It's hardcore.

I think we will see prices and popularity rise on F14 in the coming years...

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from bobhvacguy:

Well after some soul searching I have decided I am letting my Tomcat go.
It IS an ass kicking frustrating game. It drains balls, it wears you out. Someone here said it was BRUTAL. But my problem is that family and friends who are not in the hobby won't play it ("The ball goes STARIGHT DOWN THE HOLE!!")
I am lucky to get a million or 1.5 on it. It's like trying to SURVIVE, not win. There is no time to plan for the 'rules of the game' ... (What they H are they anyway?) I LED'd it, and it is a frickin' red white and blue Christmas tree. It's dazzling and blazing fast.
But it's not enough. I have been playing it more the last week or so, trying to say goodbye to it. This is my first machine I have let go. It's tough for me.
BUT I am excited for Whirlwind that will be completely shopped with almost new everything when I get it!

I hate to break this to you, but Whirlwind will kick your ass twice as much as F14. By the way, LED's add NOTHING WHAT SO EVER TO GAMEPLAY. NOTHING. EVER. OR POWDERCOATING. IT'S F***ING USESLESS!!!!!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from nhm:

I hate to break this to you, but Whirlwind will kick your ass twice as much as F14. By the way, LED's add NOTHING WHAT SO EVER TO GAMEPLAY. NOTHING. EVER. OR POWDERCOATING. IT'S F***ING USESLESS!!!!!

Useless? Hardly.

The beauty of a game makes it more enjoyable to play.

If you are someone who thinks that LED's make your game more fun to LOOK at, then its deductible that it will also be more fun to play (for you).

Depends on the preference of the player.

For example, Tron and Tron LE. Playing a Tron without the ramp lights is so lame (after having played a LE version), that I have never wished to play a Tron again since. I am thinking, why have sirloin when I could have ribeye?

#10 10 years ago

I wouldn't give up my Tomcat for a Whirlwind. I want a Whirlwind, but there's no way I'd trade Tomcat for it.

Over time I've learned a lot about my Tomcats personality...how to respond fast to it's aggressive nature, how the ball moves in my game. Blocking the loop with the upper flippers will help with those straight down the middle on lock release occurrences, and explaining that technique helps visitors at least get a chance to play a little. Avoiding the straight center shot that sends the ball off to a fast drain is important, as well learning how to make the lock shot and Yagov shot repeatedly - which gets you the kills, free balls, locks, multiball and fighter bonuses. These are the two key shots in the game.

Make no bones about it. You can't play this game well at all if your distracted, too buzzed, tired or otherwise "not in the game". Then it will certain kill you...and "you can't win". But getting in the zone and playing this game when you are ready for the fight is some of the best classic Williams pinball you will ever play.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from bobhvacguy:

But my problem is that family and friends who are not in the hobby won't play it ("The ball goes STARIGHT DOWN THE HOLE!!")

I hear this too, but the main reason for this is that they are not using (or even realizing there are) the upper flippers.

F14 was my first machine, and it's still there, and will never leave unless they all do. I do want a WW though. I'm sure WW gets more love all in all, but back in the day when F14 came out, it was the F'ing bomb at the time - people lined up to play it over every vid in the arcade I went to.

#12 10 years ago

Well I enjoyed the LED's. Its a screaming bright red white and blue xmas tree, just not a keeper. Posted a video just for fun on here.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from bobhvacguy:

Well I enjoyed the LED's. Its a screaming bright red white and blue xmas tree, just not a keeper. Posted a video just for fun on here.
» YouTube video

That machine looks beautiful.

#14 10 years ago

Whirlwind is just pure pinball. Enjoy!

#15 10 years ago

LEDing a game reduces its power consumption, which means those molex connectors and interconnect boards on the System 11s will fail less often. Having a fully working machine more of the time contributes a lot to gameplay.

#16 10 years ago

I prefer WW. It is a slower title of the two but it gives me time to setup shots.

#17 10 years ago

The good news is that if you decide you want the F14 back down the road, it will be easier to find than the WW. Both are great games, but F14s seem to *always* be for sale, while WWs are almost *never* for sale.

#18 10 years ago

f14 is much for sale because of quantity made 14502 for f14, 7300 ww only.

#19 10 years ago

F-14's are never for sale here in Socal, I haven't seen any in forever besides that one for $1945, which just got a bid on ebay.

#20 10 years ago

F-14 is a great game, but I think you will enjoy WW big time. It's an amazing game and a keeper for me. It's pinball at its best and has more of a one more time feel than any game I've ever owned.

#21 10 years ago

There is a nice F14 for sale locally. I've never played one but it sounds interesting and is tempting me at a time when I do not wish to be tempted.. I keep thinking "Top Gun"

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I keep thinking "Top Gun"

Speaking of Top Gun, there's a Gottlieb Gold Wings for sale in SC right now for $1k OBO. Talk about a non-licensed rip off.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Speaking of Top Gun, there's a Gottlieb Gold Wings for sale in SC right now for $1k OBO. Talk about a non-licensed rip off.

Wow- not even trying to hide it, were they?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goodbye-tomcat-hello-whirlwind-mixed-emotions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.