Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jellikit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    pinhandles.jpg
    pinball_lifter.JPG
    IMG_6482.jpg
    stock-illustration-19030991-cartoon-ca.jpg
    IMG_6481.jpg
    IMG_6479.jpg
    IMG_6478.jpg

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

I move most machines by myself so I am not sure these will do anything for me.

The concept seems simple enough it is similar to the fore arm strap style furniture movers.

I like the idea and as Hwawonyu states above probably not a replacement but I can see how these might be handy for some people to use along with other tools as needed.

Now how to mount the winch higher on my truck so I can slide them off like a zipline

#52 10 years ago

I admire the ingenuity. I have always had a friend help me carry pins to my game room, these seems like it would be a great help.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

just an update on a previous post i made a few weeks ago...
    these were just sent to me by my employees dad. he revised and improved his 'overnight' design..
    he made them himself and shipped them to us. he bumped the guage of the wire, properly crimped everything, heat-shrinked cleanly.. i can't express how much easier these make moving games.
    big thanks to gordon doull!
    -jon - reciprocal nyc

Very interesting! A much cleaner version of my strap method. ME LIKEE!!!

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

it's just much easier to grab 2 handles then to grab a cabinet that's flush against the floor. it's not really any deeper than that.
    i'm sorry that i brought this up. i hope i didn't waste too much of people's time with this.

Don't be, it's good to think outside the box. I use a somewhat similar method using straps. I bolt the strap across the front and back of the machine, making what amounts to a carrying handle. This allows two people to rather easily move machines up and down stairs. I've moved heavy honkers like STTNGs and IJs up my steps in under 60 seconds using this method.

Would I rather have an Escalera? SURE! But my $20 straps are a bit cheaper. As are your handles.

#55 10 years ago

pinhandles.jpgpinhandles.jpg

#56 10 years ago

This is how I do it!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

This is how I do it!

lol I hope cleaning his pants out after putting that down wasn't too messy...

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nilroc:

This is how I do it!

I use exactly same method. With widebodies I strap around my head so it is easier to hold the load

#59 10 years ago

jon, I also had another thought that might add to your ease. I don't like keeping wood on bare floor, so I always try to put something between it.

Not sure if your floor is concrete, but concrete + wood without a moisture barrier can be trouble.

I have used these dollies from harbor freight in the past to store crates on:

http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html

It holds 1000 lbs, and is under $10 on sale right now. You would only need one per machine, and it might make storing them easier because you could set them on the dolly and push them into a storage position. It also gives a few inches of separation between the floor and the cabinet, helping to reduce pull aways on the cabinets if they get slid a little bit on accident.

Just thought I would add in case anyone didnt know about these.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

jon, I also had another thought that might add to your ease. I don't like keeping wood on bare floor, so I always try to put something between it.
    Not sure if your floor is concrete, but concrete + wood without a moisture barrier can be trouble.
    I have used these dollies from harbor freight in the past to store crates on:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html
    It holds 1000 lbs, and is under $10 on sale right now. You would only need one per machine, and it might make storing them easier because you could set them on the dolly and push them into a storage position. It also gives a few inches of separation between the floor and the cabinet, helping to reduce pull aways on the cabinets if they get slid a little bit on accident.
    Just thought I would add in case anyone didnt know about these.

great advice.. thanks for the info! never seen those before...

-jon

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i am jack's sense of utter shock. thanks.

Atta boy, Jon. Joke em if they cant take F---

Kim

#62 10 years ago

I know that with some basements you can't hand truck because of odd turns and landings on stairs etc. These would be perfect for those situations where games are being carried anyway.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That does sound straightforward. And you say it provides a definite advantage over leaving the legs on, putting on some good gloves and grabbing under the cabinet between the legs, one in front one in back?

it is a pain to pick a machine off the floor no place to get under it easily, plus on putting it down, no pinched fingers. This would also make picking up the back to prop it to get back legs on much easier. Same for dropping it from a prop when taking the back legs off for breakdown.

#64 10 years ago

I like this idea. Picking a machine of the floor (eg: when stored) is a royal PITA. Using these will at the very least get it off the floor with no pinched fingers. I'm putting a set together next weekend. Thank you for sharing this idea!

Doc

#65 10 years ago

....this thread is riveting......(insert popcorn eating emoji here).

#66 10 years ago

I think these certainly have their application. You can never have enough tools.

#67 10 years ago

Here's the whole story:

I delivered a Jackbot with my friend Ed to Jon's skateboard shop using the handles I bought from Lee Conklin. This gave Jon the idea for a new series of home-brew handles.

I have used my set of handles on EVERY pinball machine I have ever moved spanning over 10 years of use and over 30 machines moved. Everyone who is jumping on Jon for making these simply has not tried using them and I can say first hand that your speculation about them is incorrect. You can still use a hand truck for most of the move, but they allow you to quickly get a grip on the machine no matter where you are.

If mine ever bite the dust, I may just buy a new set, but I'm 10 years in and Lee's handy work is still rock solid.

-BB

#68 10 years ago

I can "lift and carry" a machine, but my fingers get tired and I loose my "grip" on the flat bottom of the machine.

With a handle like that, for me at least, would make carrying a machine a distance allot easier to do.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

I delivered a Jackbot with my friend Ed to Jon's skateboard shop using the handles I bought from Lee Conklin. This gave Jon the idea for a new series of home-brew handles.

Was Lee still using his well-loved WebTV email address at the time? I ask as I have known Lee for years and had good dealings with him. And it seemed like he had that email for quite some time before going the Gmail route...

Brad

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goodbye-handtruck/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.