• Latest reply 3 months ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bb.pdf (PDF preview)
last-action-herodemolition-man-prints (resized).jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

Look up Alltek replacement boards for Bally.
Pick a machine from the list.Really a no brainer.
Having good MPU, solenoid driver and lamp boards available
at an affordable price makes the whole deal worthwhile.
Rebuilding flippers, pop bumpers and replacing fuses is straightforward.
" oh wait, I can't find a machine from the Alltek compatibility chart"
No shit, they are desirable. Even with the bad sounds and the beeps/boops.
Wanna keep a playable pinball machine long term?
Find one with readily available repair parts.

#52 2 years ago
last-action-herodemolition-man-prints (resized).jpglast-action-herodemolition-man-prints (resized).jpg
#53 2 years ago

Ohh, I’d also like to cast a vote for STTNG. I’ve owned it twice and have a buy back agreement from the new owner.
It’s huge on “bang for your buck” and playability.
I like it a lot at $5k. Especially compared to other $5k pins

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I didn’t notice that much hesitation when you sold it to me.

Lol. I'm already missing it! I need a bigger basement for more pins haha. Enjoy the game, it's a great one, may have to buy it again one day.

#55 2 years ago

Soooo, does the new Jurassic Park Pin qualify as a good value?

#56 2 years ago

The Walking Dead. Great game at a reasonable price.

#57 2 years ago

Fucking none anymore unless you want an EM.

#58 2 years ago

Last year I bought a P3 and a bunch of games, and... this is the best value in pinball. You get a full on, fantastic game (say, Heist), then you can add on for 1/3 the price of a new game for a new physical playfield, OR a significantly less expensive software download (like $120 for some). I can play at least 12 games on my P3 right now. Some are better than others but the good ones are great.

#59 2 years ago

Some of the machines I can’t tell the difference between pro and premium. I couldn’t tell you the difference between a Deadpool, ghostbusters, GOTG pro and premium. BKSoR pro is arguably better than the premium, but I think it loses its identity without the upper play field.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

Gottlieb System 1s are still undervalued.

Sinbad has a Pinside average of 900
Solar Ride at 800
Genie at 1200
Totem 1000
In this market probably 10 to 20% more.
They are fun to play, will go up in value, they have the Pascal All in One available to replace aging electronics.

Sinbad is addictive and so is Joker Poker. For later Gottlieb games, Devil's Dare is a lot of machine for not too much money.

2 months later
#61 2 years ago

What's a good value? Anything you can find under $3k at this point...lol

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Look up Alltek replacement boards for Bally.
Pick a machine from the list.Really a no brainer.
Having good MPU, solenoid driver and lamp boards available
at an affordable price makes the whole deal worthwhile.
Rebuilding flippers, pop bumpers and replacing fuses is straightforward.
" oh wait, I can't find a machine from the Alltek compatibility chart"
No shit, they are desirable. Even with the bad sounds and the beeps/boops.
Wanna keep a playable pinball machine long term?
Find one with readily available repair parts.

What he said...
The best value is a machine that someone else decides that they don't want anymore and prices it accordingly.
Perhaps it needs repair, but not always.

#63 2 years ago

I'm going to chime back in on this thread and say that MOST pins are a good value if you don't fall victim to FOMO, live in a pinball dense area, and you have the cash to spare. I have now rotated over 30 pins through my basement and the most expensive pin out of that bunch cost me $800. I've had Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, newer Sterns, and a handful of games ranging down to an E.M. These games were all great bang for the buck pins because aside from putting in some elbow grease (which I enjoyed), I didn't overpay, and after making the games nicer than I got them sold or traded for more than I had in them. You can buy just about any pin out there today, play the crud out of it for 6 months, and then sell it for what you paid for it if not more. You will do even better if you put your game up as "trades preferred" and just take the best offer you get. The best value in pinball right now is that temporary trade with your pinball buddy. I usually do one temporary trade of 6 months or so with a buddy every year. I experienced a Metallica and AIQ LE this way while my buddy experienced STTNG and Twilight Zone.

My only big losses were due to dishonest traders and sellers, who I have a personal blacklist on. So far this has been limited to 2 people.

I have succumbed to FOMO twice, with a NIB Rick and Morty purchase (which has turned out to be a fantastic value as its increased in value 50%) and a NIB GZ premium which I paid over MSRP for due to current supply chain issues. In the future I will primarily be a used buyer/trader.

Pinball is an amazing hobby. I know of no other hobby where you can buy something, use it, and then sell it for about what you paid for it so easily.

You will do much better in this hobby if you buy the pin that is a good deal instead of the pin that is hot at the moment. Buy a pin, play a pin, sell a pin, repeat. If you follow this logic and clean up your games well, you can have a new (to you) pin in your basement every month for free.

Also, the data needs to be rerun as it uses pre-COVID prices, but this old thread is one of the best things on pinside and applies nerd math problems to the question.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/statistical-bang-for-your-buck#post-6289526

I have copied the graphic from that thread. Credit goes to lpeters82 for the amazing graphic. See above thread for explanation.
bb.pdfbb.pdf

Edit: Spoiler, mathematically it is Firepower, Taxi, and Dracula.

#64 2 years ago

Bang for your buck in what price tier? When it comes to A-list titles, I think Multimorphic P3 is becoming one of the best bargains. They're now prices like a Stern LE and equivalent JJPs, but they offer so much more in current and future flexibility.

Lower priced tiers, EMs can still be found for a couple hundred if you're patient and quick to snatch up a deal.

3 weeks later
#65 2 years ago

Hot Wheels NIB is looking like a relatively great deal right now.

1 year later
#66 3 months ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Breakshot is one of the cheapest DMDs, and I think it's a great game

It really is

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

1,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ajax, ON
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-values-in-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.