Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by turbo20lbs
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

143050_lg.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

So I was at pinheadpuckguy's house and to take out the machine he had these shoulder dolly's:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200310414_200310414

Worked really great for moving it up stairs and into the garage. I'll be picking up a set tonight to move it into my basement.

Anyone else have tips or tricks for moving them?

143050_lg.jpg143050_lg.jpg

#2 12 years ago

lol reminds me of men carrying around their babies. personally i'd htink it's a bad idea. one person goes down, the other has all the weight bearing on them. what happened to elbow grease or dolleys?

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

lol reminds me of men carrying around their babies. personally i'd htink it's a bad idea. one person goes down, the other has all the weight bearing on them. what happened to elbow grease or dolleys?

Well is any way really a good way? lol I can see a pin falling no matter how you carry or dolly it.

#4 12 years ago

I'd do it the right way.

Take the legs off, fold down the back box, stand it on the back end (that is what the little plastic feet are for), and strap it to a stair climbing dolly.

#5 12 years ago

Hey that's what friends are for............ok who sang that???? I thought of that sappy song when I saw that pic. C'mon those straps work great!!!!!!!!!

#6 12 years ago

I've Owned an appliance repair business for 15 years. In that time I've carried many many refrigerators up and down stairs. I own a set of these and if both people know how to use them it makes the work much lighter and smoother. If just one person dosent have a clue than your screwed. That being said I don't use them every time. Some times you just can't beat a dolly.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

If just one person dosent have a clue than your screwed. That being said I don't use them every time. Some times you just can't beat a dolly.

I agree. Hmmm Maybe I'll get both. Carrying it down by hand sucked the first time.

Quoted from vid1900:

I'd do it the right way.
    Take the legs off, fold down the back box, stand it on the back end (that is what the little plastic feet are for), and strap it to a stair climbing dolly.

I have the legs off and backbox folded. Just need it from garage to basement. No friends have dolly's :/

#8 12 years ago

There was a thread about a winch setup somewhere one time. I winch was mounted at the top of the stairs on a setup that straddled the door and you were about to pull the dolly up that way if you do not have a climber.

I just bought a new roll 20"x1,000' pf stretch wrap for $21 at Lowes. It will protect from scratches while moving. I think this is a must for any movement.

Edit: almost for got the two most important thing after stretch wrap and Dolly, they are friends and beer.

#9 12 years ago

http://www.lowes.com/pd_94016-929-40710S_0__?productId=1113917&Ntt=dolly&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Ddolly&facetInfo=

You can't beat the ease and SAFETY of an appliance dolly. There are straps so it's not coming off the dolly. I held out for awhile because I didn't want to drop the $100 one of these costs, but now I can't believe I ever did it any other way. I have moved the last 6 in and out BY MYSELF and I am not a big guy.

Proper leverage and an appliance dolly is all you need. Probably better have a friend for the stairs though...

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'd do it the right way.

Bingo

#11 12 years ago

If you don't want to keep the dolly go buy from Lowe's and then return it after you take it down.....

#12 12 years ago

You can rent a refrigerator dolly for $5 at ACO, Home Depot, or any Rental joint.

You can rent an electric stair climbing dolly for $20 at any Rental joint.

#13 12 years ago

> Remove all loose items from within - including all balls
    > place cardboard/blanket over glass and rails where back box folds and makes contact
    > strap back box to cabinet cross-wise - with cardboard protectors for the corners
    > wrap back box and cabinet cross-wise in plastic
    > wrap cabinet sides in plastic to cover/protect any exposed art
    > Use a thick piece of cardboard on back/bottom edge where dolly will contact and wrap long-wise to secure and protect
    > tilt machine on back end and take the legs off
    > pad and stack legs in cardboard separators and wrap in plastic
    > Strap machine to a stair dolly and go.

I used these steps when I picked up the SM (just found them some place on the net) and they worked really well. Turns out it ended up being easier to simply load the dolly - with the pin attached - in the pick up (handle first), wrap in a couple moving blankets, and securely strap it down.

Obviously these are a bit more involved than necessary for moving to/from a basement

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

Obviously these are a bit more involved than necessary for moving to/from a basement

Those are good for moving a pin at all. If I am moving out of my basement it gets wrapped and all. Stairs are not very forgiving. If you make a small mistake you will scratch it or worse. Plastic stretch wrap at $20 for 1,000' if worth it. One good scratch will cost you more than that.

#15 12 years ago

Well moving it in my stair landing sucks. I used a 2 wheel dolly to get it to the landing. Then had to take it off the 2 wheeler, slide it down the stairs. back on the 2 wheeler then put legs on. I am going to be taking WW out of my basement and to work soon so I'll probably grab the shoulder dolly and see how it goes. I shall wrap up the pin though, thats a good idea. Harbor freight has some packing blankets and such for cheap.

#16 12 years ago

Hey North, I do have a furniture dolly you can borrow (it has a strap on it). Just cost you a game on WW or FT

Let me if you want to borrow it.

Bill

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from ThePostmaster:

Hey North, I do have a furniture dolly you can borrow (it has a strap on it). Just cost you a game on WW or FT
    Let me if you want to borrow it.
    Bill

ah the short wide ones? Hmm I wonder if that will fit. It is soooo tight on that landing. My work may have one if its what I'm thinking I just haven't seen it in a while.... I'll let you know. The pins are in the unfinished basement...its not BAD but I have my boxes behind them...as I'm just a roommate and can't unpack everything. I need to get carpet down there and a couch...make it my man corner. So as long as you don't mind that, you can give them a shot! I have wax and all that jazz on order now

#18 12 years ago

Make sure you have a partner who can lift 150 lbs. It seriously sucks when they can't.

#19 12 years ago

Cardboard and stretch wrap.

1 year later
    #20 10 years ago

I just picked up a set of these as I will be moving my first pin into the basement from the garage...movers took care of the vids so this will be my first heavy game into the basement....can't say I am looking forward to it but hoping the shoulder straps will make it a bit easier....

fingers crossed my first pin makes it in one piece....(if anyone cares its a class of 1812)...

#21 10 years ago

Of course not for stairs, but for skittering around a room I just picked up Pinball Skates. They do what they do very well. I like them better than a dolly for just moving games around the basement. Yes, you have to crawl under the machines to put them on, but once up, they glide around.

1 month later
    #22 10 years ago

They work pretty well. Now I bought a house, and the game room is in the basement. Has a tuck under garage, so I just walk it in from garage down hall to game room. No more stairs!!

4 years later
    #23 6 years ago

Bumping this thread after a couple years.

Do you guys think an appliance dolly is better than a standard hand truck for moving a game up and down stairs? Normally, I use a hand truck with the game strapped around it. Eventually I'd like to get an escalera, but I can't bring myself to paying full price for one.

#24 6 years ago

Your only concern should be up. All you need for down is a cardboard sled.

For up, if your stairs have the room for an escalera, get one.

The shoulder dollys work great and you can "walk thru" tight landings and turns. Its all I ever use to bring pins up from my shitty basement stairs.

I have an appliance dolly, but that thing is a back breaker. The shoulder dolly will exhaust you, but doesn't kill your back.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-tips-to-carry-move-pinball-machine?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.