Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on what to use for streaming and any hints regarding this as well!

I would like to live stream to Facebook on occasions and at the moment I have my iPhone and a tripod. The tripod I set up directly in front of the machine so had to play behind it with it directly in my line of sight! Manageable and worked well/ok but was annoying for other players.

Also had to take the glass off as it gave a much better view to those watching.

So, I'll let you guys know from the get go I'm not willing to spend $$$$'s on this set up but would like to improve the quality enough to give a really good stream. If it becomes a bit more serious then I'll look into more expensive quality. My budget would be say, capped at $2-300?!?

Is this enough to get just a good basic setup going?

Also, wondering how best to have the camera mounted so it doesn't get in the way again? Looking for some sort of boom type setup I'd guess?!? Mic options! Apps people might use to best improve quality?! etc etc

Would love to see or even hear suggestions on the above and how best to move forward. Feel free to pass on any tips and tricks so I can learn for the next one!

Thanks for reading, cheers.

#2 6 years ago

Hmmm. With so many guys doing streaming I’d have thought someone would know something.

You all keeping secrets?? Lol

#3 6 years ago

Yes, as soon as you say "on a budget" you limit your resource pool.

Try it with "Unlimited funds" and life will change.

1 month later
    #4 6 years ago

Can someone write up what you need "not worrying about budget"? I am interested in starting but have no idea all that is needed. If you could include links to each item that would be a HUGE help!

#5 6 years ago

Get 2 Logitech c920s (playfield and dmd) and one c310 (player)

That’s about $120

Then get this stand

CHAUVET DJ CH06 Lightweight Lighting Stand w/T-Bar (50lb Capacity) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096JYRY6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_k5uzAbXW5M47E

Two of these (one for dmd cam, one for player)

Smatree Ajustable Jaws Flex Clamp Mount 13.4" Gooseneck Extension for GoPro Hero 6/5/4/3+/3/2/1/Session / for Ricoh Theta S, M15 Cameras/ for Compact Cameras(1/4" thread) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWNYGUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_S6uzAbVCP95J3

Then one of these (playfield):

Pedco UltraClamp Assembly 360 Swivel Camera Mount Accessory for Cameras, Scopes and Binoculars (1.5-Inch w/Swivel) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5A33YO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_h8uzAbHRWXMJK

That’s a total of like $220. If you don’t have a computer already, then you’re screwed. Haha. If you do, you can’t do much better than this setup for a budget.

The c310 doesn’t have a camera mount hole but I just used some zip ties to secure it to the gooseneck clamp.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Can someone write up what you need "not worrying about budget"? I am interested in starting but have no idea all that is needed. If you could include links to each item that would be a HUGE help!

Unlimited budget?

Get three Sony HD cams (cx405) (player and playfield and displays for non dmd games)

Four elgato usb capture devices (one for each Sony camera and one for the dmd extender.

Get dmd extender for direct link to dmd feed.

Figure out how to get direct audio feed from the game too (not sure how to do this)

Buy an extremely fast computer with lots of usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

#7 6 years ago

I have a 4k built custom gaming pc with 2X water cooled 1080TI and a water cooled I7-7700k cpu with a custom loop I built that I’m sure will handle all of it. But what’s the point in the capture card if my gpu will already record on their own and if I’m streaming there is no need to capture it to my hdd?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s about $120
    Then get this stand
    CHAUVET DJ CH06 Lightweight Lighting Stand w/T-Bar (50lb Capacity) amazon.com link »
    Smatree Ajustable Jaws Flex Clamp Mount 13.4" Gooseneck Extension for GoPro Hero 6/5/4/3+/3/2/1/Session / for Ricoh Theta S, M15 Cameras/ for Compact Cameras(1/4" thread) amazon.com link »
    Pedco UltraClamp Assembly 360 Swivel Camera Mount Accessory for Cameras, Scopes and Binoculars (1.5-Inch w/Swivel) amazon.com link »
    That’s a total of like $220. If you don’t have a computer already, then you’re screwed. Haha. If you do, you can’t do much better than this setup for a budget.
    The c310 doesn’t have a camera mount hole but I just used some zip ties to secure it to the gooseneck clamp.

When you get the time, would you mind using your phone to snap some photos of how it looks all set up near a machine? I’d love to see some so I can copy it. I understand the pieces now thanks to your post but I am a visual learner so I do better copying a photo than trying to imagine how it will all look in my mind. Thank you btw

#9 6 years ago

I have a 4k built custom gaming pc with 2X water cooled 1080TI and a water cooled I7-7700k cpu with a custom loop I built that I’m sure will handle all of it. But what’s the point in the capture card if my gpu will already record on their own and if I’m streaming there is no need to capture it to my hdd?

If your computer already has capture devices in it then you’re good. You just need something that will be able to receive the hdmi signal from the camera and allow you to use it as a camera for the stream.

I don’t have pictures of the setup I posted above as my setup isn’t like that anymore. Sorry!

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If your computer already has capture devices in it then you’re good. You just need something that will be able to receive the hdmi signal from the camera and allow you to use it as a camera for the stream.
    I don’t have pictures of the setup I posted above as my setup isn’t like that anymore. Sorry!

The relevant thing here being that the sonys don't have USB, so you need an HDMI input for them?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

The relevant thing here being that the sonys don't have USB, so you need an HDMI input for them?

I’m not an expert on the situation, but yes this is how I understand it.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s about $120
    Then get this stand
    CHAUVET DJ CH06 Lightweight Lighting Stand w/T-Bar (50lb Capacity) amazon.com link »
    Smatree Ajustable Jaws Flex Clamp Mount 13.4" Gooseneck Extension for GoPro Hero 6/5/4/3+/3/2/1/Session / for Ricoh Theta S, M15 Cameras/ for Compact Cameras(1/4" thread) amazon.com link »
    Pedco UltraClamp Assembly 360 Swivel Camera Mount Accessory for Cameras, Scopes and Binoculars (1.5-Inch w/Swivel) amazon.com link »

how do I attach the snowball microphone to this setup? which clamp do I need to buy an extra of?

#13 6 years ago

how do I attach the snowball microphone to this setup? which clamp do I need to buy an extra of?

I usually just put that on the game next to the one I’m streaming. But you can get another cheap stand for the mic if you want or attach it to the camera stand somehow. I’ve put that mic in so many different places, YMMV. There’s no camera type mount hole on the snowball so not sure what others use for specific snowball mic stands.

1 month later
    #14 6 years ago

What about 1 910 for the playfield and 2 310's for dmd and player? 310 are about 15$ each.

2 months later
    #15 5 years ago

Can I get some ideas of what specs a laptop needs to stream a 3 camera setup?

Also which OS works best with software? Does W10 have more problems than W7? Compatibility, driver etc?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Can I get some ideas of what specs a laptop needs to stream a 3 camera setup?
    Also which OS works best with software? Does W10 have more problems than W7? Compatibility, driver etc?

I've got a 2nd generation i5 with 6gb of ram and I can stream three cameras at 1080p30, but can't hit 60

#17 5 years ago

Ok so if I get a strong processor, 8gb of decent RAM, I can run 3 cameras via USB? No need for dedicated gfx or video capture?

#18 5 years ago

I do want to run main cam at 1080/60. The other two not too bothered... 720/30 is fine.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

I do want to run main cam at 1080/60. The other two not too bothered... 720/30 is fine.

I should clarify, I was running my main cam (c922) at 60, that wasn't a problem, but I couldn't encode the entire 1080p output at 60fps without dropping lots of frames. It seemed like the final encoding had a bigger effect on the performance than what inputs I had going. the 60fps downsampled to 30fps looked a lot better than straight 30fps.

I'm not sure if OBS was using my graphics card at all, but it's a crappy geforce, like a 520m or something so I doubt it helped much. Not sure the ram was necessary either.

#20 5 years ago

Thanks. I might just try out my old laptop

7yr old Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.00 GHz with 8gb DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz, 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card, Win7 64 bit.

Think this could be alright?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Thanks. I might just try out my old laptop
    7yr old Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.00 GHz with 8gb DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz, 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card, Win7 64 bit.
    Think this could be alright?

Double the cores, I assume OBS can make use of them

#22 5 years ago

Are you saying I need a processor with more cores?

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Are you saying I need a processor with more cores?

No, sorry. I mean my laptop is only dual core. Yours is quad, so as long as OBS can make use of the other two cores, it should perform better

#24 5 years ago

Ah ok wasn't sure. Thanks.

My processor has Passmark of 5541 which is a bit short of the 6000 that Buffalo Pinball recommend for a solid 720/60 stream. They also recommend a decent GFX card. I'm still unsure why.

I think I might practice with this laptop and upgrade once I've got a taste for it and will appreciate the upgrade in quality.

2 weeks later
    #25 5 years ago

I have an I5 processor and cannot do 1080p 60 FPS.

I can do 720p at 60 FPS though but I feel like that’s the absolute max.

1080 at 30 FPS no issues at all.

1 week later
    #26 5 years ago

What software or program is good to use for streaming and recording three cams and a mic? Or is that something twitch can do? (Noob at streaming here).

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I use OBS for that fine

Ok thanks. And OBS is necessary also if you want to stream on twitch, correct?

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Ok thanks. And OBS is necessary also if you want to stream on twitch, correct?

Yup.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I use OBS for that fine

Is there a color picker for the chromakey in OBS? I seem to have a hard time matching the green, and other software lets me pick it right from the image.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-streaming-setup-on-a-budget?hl=vividpsychosis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.