(Topic ID: 271261)

Good slingshot coil strength setting for Modern Stern games?

By HurryUpPinball

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Hawks
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Just curious what folks are using for the slingshot coil strength setting on Stern games (starting around 2015). I have several Stern games and always tweak the coil strength to avoid crazy ping ponging between the slings and direct slingshots to the outlane. The default setting seems a bit strong to me and was curious to see what other people were using. My switches are gapped properly and I am just talking about coil strength for the slings. I believe the default setting for slingshot power is 32.

#2 3 years ago

Would also like to know this, because my Stranger Things slings are so strong it shoots the ball to the outlane after a couple hits. I have lowered them, but still happens every once in a while.

1 year later
    #3 2 years ago

Anyone have an answer to this? I feel like the factory default in my Deadpool Pro is too much, but I also don't want to make the game too easy.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

Would also like to know this, because my Stranger Things slings are so strong it shoots the ball to the outlane after a couple hits. I have lowered them, but still happens every once in a while.

Slings are supposed to make the game harder. I leave mine stock on all games. I turned STH down a bit when I first got it. Then bumped them back up.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Anyone have an answer to this? I feel like the factory default in my Deadpool Pro is too much, but I also don't want to make the game too easy.

Then change the setting and if it’s too easy, make them stronger. Everyone’s preferences are different. I prefer stock.

#6 2 years ago

The balls do tend to shoot around really fast. I didn't know if the factory setting was safe for the playfield.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

The balls do tend to shoot around really fast. I didn't know if the factory setting was safe for the playfield.

Perfectly safe.

2 months later
    #8 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Slings are supposed to make the game harder. I leave mine stock on all games. I turned STH down a bit when I first got it. Then bumped them back up.

Where in the menu do I find the settings to adjust coil power

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from El_Patron:

Where in the menu do I find the settings to adjust coil power

It should under SPI adjustments.

#10 2 years ago

Stock.
    Never even thought aboot changing it.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

It should under SPI adjustments.

Thanks, I'm not sure where else to look I went through the entire SPI menu on my Godzilla did not see any settings for any coils

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Stock.
    Never even thought aboot changing it.

I'm with you, I never did either except the trough coil is pretty aggressive and I wanted to dial it down from beating up the trough so much several people seemed to take it down to 150 or 185 on Godzilla

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from El_Patron:

Thanks, I'm not sure where else to look I went through the entire SPI menu on my Godzilla did not see any settings for any coils

That's odd! How about under GZ Adj?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from El_Patron:

Feature adjustments. It’s the menus with a Godzilla picture on them.

#15 2 years ago

IIRC, they are on a scale from 1-25. Both my TMNT and AIQ both fired the ball straight off the right sling into the left outlane with zero time to react.

For TMNT, a lot of users stuck a small rubber bumper on the outlane rail so it only tries to negate the angle from the sling. That has worked well so far. For AIQ, I’m still playing with the settings but I’m at 18 right now and haven’t felt the need to adjust yet. YMMV.

#16 2 years ago

Before you make any adjustment to sling power, make sure your pitch is set to 6.5 degrees (measured between the flippers). Pitch absolutely affects how the slings work.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Feature adjustments. It’s the menus with a Godzilla picture on them.

Thanks!

1 week later
    #18 2 years ago

I’ve reduced the slingshot strength from 32 (default) to 20 on my Mandalorian
    Game is way more kinder now, no cheap outlane drains and finally reached my first mini wizard mode after over 100 lifetime plays!
    I think I’ll reduce the slingshot strength on my other Sterns now

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-slingshot-coil-strength-setting-for-modern-stern-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.