Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by natdawg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey guys, basically I have 1k and I want a decent machine (not older models but something with plenty to do on the field). I've searched and searched (and will continue) but do you have any leads or places I might keep an eye out for? like personal websites? (I check craigslist it just takes a long time) anyway just thought I would ask everyone in case anyone would help me out, I'm trying to get in the hobby

#2 8 years ago

You can find them, but you'll have to be patient. If your location was set, maybe somebody here could help??

bang/buck list:

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

#3 8 years ago

Set my location, yeah I know it will take a while but it's hard to fight down the excitement lol.

#4 8 years ago

Thing is I can't even find an arcade to help fight the edge off

#5 8 years ago

Judge Dredd is the best answer, but they've been creeping up in price and may take a while to find at $1k. They are out there though. There are a few other great bang for the buck DMD games that sometimes pop up in that price range. Otherwise System 11 games may be your answer. They don't have a DMD, but generally have plenty to do and have a feel and "soul" all their own. The vast majority of them can be found for around $1k or less, other than a couple of the "a-list" ones of their era. I have honestly never played a Sys11 that I didn't like, though some are better than others. Many Data East, Sega, and Gottlieb DMD machines may also be found in the $1k range, but like everything else many of those are creeping up in price too. Also don't discount the older games too much...there are some real gems in the early SS era and also in the EM era for really great prices.

As for finding them, craigslist is good, though has been going downhill. Ebay you could get lucky on, but I wouldn't buy anything off of there that isn't local and can be inspected before buying. Otherwise the best bet is to meet other local pinheads and "network". You'll meet a lot of great people, get to play their games, and make some good friends. Go to local shows. You could also try posting wanted ads here, on RGP, KLOV, Mr Pinball, Pynball, and other internet forums. You can also try WTB ads in the local papers or if you have a bulletin board or something at work, the local grocery store, etc. You never know what you might shake loose!

Best of luck!

#6 8 years ago

http://user.xmission.com/~daina/classified/
You can submit your e-mail so the newest listings will be sent to you on a daily basis. I just saw some good listings in VA today for around that price.

#7 8 years ago

I haven't seen many machines around Roanoke, for sale or arcades. If you drive up to Northern VA, or the Richmond area, you can find more, but there's still not a lot.

You will have to be patient. I've found 2 machines through craigslist, 2 at the Allentown show (it's in May), and two had to be shipped. If you're trying to stay under $1k, shipping would put a serious dent in your budget.

What do you mean by "something with plenty to do on the field"? If you needs ramps, EM (1970s) machines are out, but there's really a lot of fun to be had with them, and you can find nice ones within your budget. There's nothing saying you can't get one, and as long as you don't overpay, sell it once you find a machine you want to keep.

Under $1k, any DMD (~1990s) machines you find will be junk.

System 11 games would probably be your best bet if you want more updated under $1k. Davewth's suggestion of looking at the bang/buck list is a good idea. You'd be looking at the "before 1991" games, probably concentrating on late 80s stuff.

#8 8 years ago

my buddy, GoneFishinLvMsg, had a Fishtales for $1450 (i think). He's in portsmouth. I don't know if he still wants to sell it, though.

You simply aren't going to find many $1000 dmd machines that aren't either beat to heck or crappy for $1000. I'm sure there are going to be dozens of people telling me how wrong i am but it all comes down to if you can wait.

#10 8 years ago

Another reason to set your location is that a lot of pricing is location-based (supply, demand, yadda yadda).

If you want DMD, you can typically find most Gottlieb DMD's in this price range.. and don't listen to what most say, they play great. The art sucks on a lot of them though. There was a Wipe-Out on here that sold for $950(?). Awesome game!

When you start looking for WMS or DE DMD games you start "getting what you pay for". That said, the high production number games tend to be on the reasonable side. T2 comes to mind..

If you don't care about DMD your options open up a LOT. Most System 11 games can be had in this price range, as well as similar era Data East games. Robocop is fun, Secret Service is good.. or F-14, High Speed, Pin*Bot, etc.

Price is also dependent on how much work you want to do. Fully shopped, "turn-key" games are great for the starter but command a premium. Most of us seasoned guys will look to buy a game that needs some TLC to save a few bucks.

Good luck!

#11 8 years ago

I would consider LAH.

#12 8 years ago

A decent Terminator 2 for $1,100 is right up your alley...

#13 8 years ago

LAH, fo' sho'! I picked mine up 4~ months ago for $800. Magnets, ramp, the crane (!), drop targets - lots of stuff to do - it's a great game - I play it way more than my STTNG!

#14 8 years ago

LW3 can be had in good shape for that price.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I would consider LAH.

LAH is the best (and by far) bang for the buck machine there is.

#16 8 years ago

$1k DMD- T2.......$1k alphanumeric, you might be able to find a BOP or an ES for around that

#17 8 years ago

cough up a couple hundred bucks, and you'll be glad you did. might as well step it up a notch, if you're spending 1g whats another 200.

#18 8 years ago

Data East Royal Rumble. Fun Machine!

#19 8 years ago

well, if I were to save a little more, how much more and what would you suggest then?

#20 8 years ago

Fish tales maybe. Do you want a plug and play pin, are you willing to take a chance on a project machine? It's really relaxing and enjoyable doing minor repairs, changing rubber etc...

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from natdawg:

how much more and what would you suggest then?

we're talking the difference between a bunch of DE, Sega, or Gottlieb DMD machines around 1000 and less. as most have mentioned. for 1200 you're getting into williams and stern territory (all i really want to own personally).

1200=T2 DM DH Sharkey's Shootout Fire ES Congo hurricane jackbot JM Jokerz JP Maverick nba fastbreak NF The Simpsons DE Taxi

#22 8 years ago

Man if you guys are finding games this cheap in the US I've really gotta move south!

Nothing wrong with a "bunch of DE, Sega or Gottlieb DMD machines" IMO..

#23 8 years ago

I was in your shoes about a year ago, I was looking for a machine for $1000 or under. It can happen, but you really have to search and luck out. Just don't get you head set on any one machine.

#24 8 years ago

JM, LAH, LW3 & JD are pretty sweet machines you can get for around 1000. Some of these may be closer to the 1200 range but offer a lot for a cheaper pin.

#25 8 years ago

Seems like there are plenty of T2's to go around, decent gameplay, but can be hard to find for $1000 ($1200-$1600 usually)
Usually johnny mnemonic can be had for around that, but you have to make sure the hand works well.
Checkpoint can easily be had for $1000 or less, first DMD (so it's small), but decent gameplay

You would think addam's family would be cheaper (they made so many), but I've yet to see one for sale for less than $2500.

#26 8 years ago

think Gottlieb.....Tee'd off, Wipeout,cueball wizard...I think you can still find these in nice shape with a DMD for a grand or under, even Shaq Attack, or Big Hurt....or people on here hate Hurricane which I think is great game for a grand....but what do I know

#27 8 years ago

I forgot about these two. I just saw a shaq attack in some midwestern state on craigslist for $750.

#28 8 years ago

Natdawg, I sent you a pm with some tips to finding what you want in NC.

#29 8 years ago

$1k Baywatch in my house right now. Come on down.

The Space Shuttle is most likely sold tomorrow but that's not DMD and not what you're looking for.

#30 8 years ago

I think we all need to also re -read his post...just says no older machines...I beleive he means like EM's or no ramped SS's. Some ramps and maybe a mulitball or 2, so Space Shuttle may work...timeless classic. Many system 11's that are still priced well with lots of life left in them.....not to mention these are the games that made me love pinball today.

#31 8 years ago

Sorry, I hear "older" and I think pre-DMD.

#32 8 years ago

Wipeout is a fun game.
Rollergames would be good too. JD's are getting harder to find for $1K- maybe $1500 though.
Pin*Bot would be my choice with Space Shuttle as a close second for your budget.
If you could score a Whirlwind for that price, you wouldn't be disappointed!

Edit: Taxi and Cyclone too!

#33 8 years ago

Pinbot, Taxi and Lethal Weapon 3 are all great pins that can be realistically found for $1k.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from mystic:

Sorry, I hear "older" and I think pre-DMD.

yeah me too, that's why I reposted....was kinda thinking outloud

#35 8 years ago

LW3 is fun, but I sold it and kept my Taxi. The one thing I disliked was the "gimmie" multiball, felt cheap. Taxi appeals to many guests that come over and it's just challenging enough to have some lastability.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

The one thing I disliked was the "gimmie" multiball, felt cheap.

+1 LW3 is a great game for novice players. I think that's what DE was trying to target.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from mystic:

$1k Baywatch in my house right now. Come on down..

Baywatch is a great game too if you can get over the Hoff.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Taxi appeals to many guests that come over and it's just challenging enough to have some lastability.

Plus, it has some of the best music and one of the best skill shots out there.
Great flow as well...

I will also add Taxi, followed up by Cyclone.

#39 8 years ago

Data East.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from MES:

Data East.

POTO, Time Machine, Hook, TFTC, BTTF, Class of 1812, Royal Rumble, JP and Strange Science would also do in a $1K pinch I guess...
Tommy and GNR would be higher though.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Taxi appeals to many guests that come over and it's just challenging enough to have some lastability.

Yea that is a pretty classic pin for sure I can see why guests would like that one. Taxi definitely deserves to be in consideration for great pins in the 1K range. It is an all time classic. Just as fun as as pins that are much more expensive IMO.

#42 8 years ago

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I will look into these, if you come across something near me that I miss or have more suggestions let me know. Thanks again all!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside