• Latest reply 8 years ago by Flake
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

#1 8 years ago

About a year ago, I got my first pinball, a Bally Wizard!. Having grown up with EM's, I have really enjoyed it and I learned a lot since I had to do a fair amount to get it into playing condition. My wife and I used to play pinball many moons ago so she and I both enjoyed a game on Wizard! This Spring, I purchased a Whirlwind. (I also learned a lot getting that one operating as it should.) Although it elicits lots of cussing, my wife really likes Whirlwind and now has no desire to play Wizard!. With space at a premium, I'm thinking I will try to sell or trade the Wizard to get another more modern game. I want something that is fast, fun, has some humor in it and will require less than $2K additional cash outlay. I have to move the Wizard! for space considerations as well needing the extra funds to toss in the pool. (I am also on the hunt for an old pitch and bat, but that is a completely different quest and I already have the place picked out for that. I mention that just in case it has some bearing on recommendations). Finally, I prefer a players game that needs some work, so I'm not after pristine collector quality games.

There you have it. What games do you recommend?

#2 8 years ago

F-14 Tomcat. Fits the fast and fun part. You will get humor from watching whoever plays it suffer!

#3 8 years ago

Earthshaker

#4 8 years ago

Earthshaker or funhouse, I have all sterns and whirlwind all line together and it fits in perfect

#5 8 years ago

ES hands down -- those go great together

#6 8 years ago

Taxi

#7 8 years ago

Earthshakers a cool combo but I'd look at a two flipper fan based game with some flow.
Taxi, diner, eatpm etc

#8 8 years ago

Mine really pairs up nice with A good Pale Ale. Bells or founders casue it's local, but Sierra Nevada will do just fine. Enjoy!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Mine really pairs up nice with A good Pale Ale. Bells or founders casue it's local, but Sierra Nevada will do just fine. Enjoy!

Not really a huge IPA fan; however, I do enjoy Dogfish 90 minute IPA and have several cooling in the fridge now. That having been said, I just popped a Duvel.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Earthshakers a cool combo but I'd look at a two flipper fan based game with some flow.
Taxi, diner, eatpm etc

That was my thinking, that ES was very similar to Whirlwind. I was thin and, therefore, it would make sense to go with something a bit different. Then again, my budget ($2k + Wizard proceeds) may restrict my options significantly

#11 8 years ago

Rocky and Bullwinkle immediately comes to mind. I've never played one, but from what I've seen its very fast, and has a *lot* if humor. Whether or not it's fun would be totally up to you!

(Why won't the first letter in this post capitalize?)

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

rocky and bullwinkle immediately comes to mind. I've never played one,

Have you ever heard it? It's big draw back, well one of many, is it might be the most annoying sounding game around.

#13 8 years ago

I say a deep pin. Mine used to sit next to LOTR and I could live with that combo again. I miss my WW.

#14 8 years ago

If real estate is an issue putting ES with WW makes no sense at all. Even in my 20 pin collection at the time I couldn't see keeping both. WW wins hands down even though ES is cool too.

#15 8 years ago

I wouldn't recommend ES. It gets old pretty fast. For those that like it, correct me if I'm wrong....in MB, once you collect the jackpot, there is no way to re-lit it. That kills the game for me. The only thing you have to shoot for, once the jackbot is collected, is the fault for 250k points. Lost interest in it once I realized that.

Road Show would be a great match w/ Whirlwind. I think it's one of the best value pins out there and will fit within your budget. I love the game. Bought it thinking I would play it and sell it a year later. I've have one for over 4 years now. Only sold my last one to buy a better one. The game also has a MB mode that pays homage to Whirlwind -- storm is coming. Play it first if you can. While I love the game, some cann't stand the music. I enjoy it and love the humour. Tons to do on the game and the talking heads are great.

Good luck,
Duane

#16 8 years ago

T2 is a fun dmd game easy enough to find in the 2k or less range. Love me some whirlwind.

FT is another fun budget game.

#17 8 years ago

no fear, diner

#18 8 years ago

Pinbot.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19 8 years ago

Mine sits beside Pinbot

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Have you ever heard it? It's big draw back, well one of many, is it might be the most annoying sounding game around.

Really? From the videos I've watched, I *love* the sound of Rocky and Bullwinkle! Exciting music, loud sounds, great quotes, (Besides the infamous "Wrong hat!" I guess) great audio package in my humble opinion!

#21 8 years ago

Whitewater!
image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 8 years ago
#23 8 years ago

Mine is next to Fun House. A good pairing

#24 8 years ago

How about Pin Bot? Less than 2k although the humor isn't there, but great sound, lights with topper, it's pretty fast and games can be short if that appeals to you.

My WW is also next to Pin Bot.

#25 8 years ago

I've heard good things about Whitewater..thinking it might be above my budget, unless someone wants to give me $2k for my Wizard! (Although to be honest, I haven't followed pricing on it to know for sure)

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Mine is next to Fun House. A good pairing

Worth considering; although I think I may want something a bit more different,perhaps a bit more modern.

#27 8 years ago

I think this is a good one, assuming it has the typical Arnold humor. However, much better suited to my tastes. As hard as it is to believe, I channel surfed into the middle of Commando the other day and after about 3 minutes, my wife took her book and left the room.
"Let off some steam, Bennett!"

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I say a deep pin. Mine used to sit next to LOTR and I could live with that combo again. I miss my WW.

I agree; however, it seems like the deep pins are priced substantially higher. Of course, if someone wants to trade for my Wizard! + $2k, PM me immediately...no need to post an ad on marketplace

#29 8 years ago

I would hold out until Pat Lawlor's new game is announced to decide what to get. Until then, go out on location or to friend's houses to play their collections.

#30 8 years ago

I sold my WW and replaced with Addams Family, to me its WW without noisy spinning wheels and it has modes and super jackpots.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I would hold out until Pat Lawlor's new game is announced to decide what to get. Until then, go out on location or to friend's houses to play their collections.

I know not the meaning of the phrases self restraint and deferred gratification! Not to mention the fact that I would not shell out that much $.

#32 8 years ago

Roller games.
A bit more to do than f-14 and around the same price.

A nice one can be had for well under 2k

Nothing beats a lawlor/Ritchie 2 pin line up. Or if you are looking for more humor try dr.dude or party zone.

Both can be had sub 2k

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I think this is a good one

I imagine you'd enjoy it. It's in your price range, has a bit more to do than whirlwind, completely different layout, still a really fast game, and if you like ahhnold, even better.

I was going to suggest JP, and still do, but you'll be in scoop city with those two games. They are nearly identical shots between the two.

Maybe one of the other Data East games like LW3, LAH, or TFTC.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Really? From the videos I've watched, I *love* the sound of rocky and bullwinkle! Exciting music, loud sounds, great quotes, (Besides the infamous "Wrong hat!" I guess) great audio package in my humble opinion!

It's just Data East aspect of so much repeating going on...it's very grating to me. But plenty of people love it.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I sold my WW and replaced with Addams Family, to me its WW without noisy spinning wheels and it has modes and super jackpots.

I gave this a sarcastic thumbs up because how relevant it wasn't.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Roller games.
A bit more to do than f-14 and around the same price.
A nice one can be had for well under 2k
Nothing beats a lawlor/Ritchie 2 pin line up. Or if you are looking for more humor try dr.dude or Party Zone.
Both can be had sub 2k

We had Dr Dude next to WW when we had them- it was a pretty fun combo!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-pairing-with-whirlwind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.