(Topic ID: 244685)

Good first pins?

By luigi90

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spinal.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I always suggest finding local collectors to start. You'll need that help for when something goes wrong and you haven't quite learned how to troubleshoot it yet. I also always suggest finding an early solid state game (either numeric or alpha-numeric) that is 100% working. Meaning all the switches work, and the mechs work, all the lights and displays work. The reason being is that when things break, it'll be a little at a time, and you'll be able to do more of the work yourself and slowly learn the process of going through your machine. You will find games from the late 70s to early 90s just as enjoyable, if not more enjoyable than the new shiny. Lastly, do research on pricing for specific games you're interested in and you should be able to find a machine without overpaying for it.
    This way you'll get your feet wet, learn upkeep skills over time, and not have too much money into the hobby if things don't work out.

Agree 100%! Best way is to find a local collector.

Take your time! Waiting many months or more is normal.

The lemons that you don’t buy can be more important than the ones you rush and buy. Patience, patience and more patience. Lot’s of crap games that you won’t know are crap until you get more experienced. And there are some unfortunately in this hobby that might take advantage of you.

Also, I believe in spending a bit more for a nice, clean, 100% working example as your very first game. Sometimes newbs think they can save all this money and end up spending more because they don’t know how expensive some parts and tools can be. Not to mention then waiting months or more with a non-working game they can’t play so buying a working one is gold if you can afford. This is just my opinion though as others take the opposite tack and do very well indeed.

Welcome to this hobby! I love it everyday! Beware it is very addictive

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spinal.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-first-pins?tu=spinal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.