New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 90097)

Good first pinball machine?

By pinballNewbee

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BeaverBrewing
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which is best?”

• Cactus Jacks 2 votes
    3%
  • street fighter 2 5 votes
    7%
  • Teed off 7 votes
    10%
  • Baywatch 18 votes
    26%
  • Rollergames 37 votes
    54%

(69 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 6 years ago

I'm buying a first pin, and thinking of one of these? Which is best?

Cactus Jacks
street fighter 2
Teed off
Baywatch
Rollergames

I checked the ranking of each but want to hear from people. I'm on the budget these are my only choices right now.

#2 6 years ago

Are these the only games available in your area, or are they just themes that interest you?

#3 6 years ago

In order (with * disclaimer on #1)

1. Baywatch is a fun game but be mindful of the DMD display. Those suckers can run up the cost of a pin by $600 (CDN). So if it's not strong and needs changing figure that out in your negotiations.

2. Rollergames is a fun all around game. Plenty of them outthere for spare parts but plastics.....but CPR is making a run soon has they have asked for plastics.

3. Teed off
Fun game overall nice first pin.

4. Street Fighter...you can get your pick of them out there.

#4 6 years ago

I like the theme of these but they also close and available.

#5 6 years ago

Rollergames is a very fun classic pin. probably the coolest theme and best layout of the bunch. just my opinion of course.

#6 6 years ago

Roll-er-games...Roll-er-games...Roll-er-games...

#7 6 years ago

Rollergames was my first pinball machine if you don't count the Zizzle I owned. It was awesome. Easy to work on. The rules are simple but difficult to execute. The start of multiball is awesome and locking all 3 balls is not easy. Plus when you hit the jackpot it plays an awesome "kick butt" song.

#8 6 years ago

Rollergames is cool, and there is alot to do..

Cactus Jacks is very fun and has great flow, plus it is just entertaining to play..

Most here have never even played one, let alone seen one, so keep that in mind as far as not getting any response reguarding that game...

cool audio too...

hope ya find what ya like

#9 6 years ago

Rollergames for sure. A Williams, often over looked. I am convinced it would have been a huge hit had it been themed differently. And it is cheap for what it is to boot. I had one brand new and loved it, then sold it at my store. I think it could be the next Bride of Pinbot where collectors finally discover it and then the price starts running up.

#10 6 years ago

You tell me.

(If you're reading this, promise me you'll watch the first 1 minute!)

Edit: Great, now I'm accidentally watching this whole episode.... again.

#11 6 years ago

I didn't know Rollergames was a TV show, it looks like old wrestling shows to me.

#12 6 years ago

Haha I don't think I'd ever seen that. 80s pro wrestling on roller skates? Hell yes!

#13 6 years ago

The show was canceled before the pinball machine even came out! But it wasn't due to lack of interest, it was because because the creators went bankrupt.

The soundtrack that they keep mentioning on the show was never even released, which is a damn shame.

As far as theming the pinball to the show, they actually did an AMAZING job! The wall ramp ("Go for the wall") looks just like the one on the show. And all the characters on the machine are real. In the center of the playfield is Snake and a couple other people. The locked balls that shoot out occasionally, loop around the wireform, and return to the lock are really cool, too.

Also, the T-Bird Twins on the backglass were babes.

#14 6 years ago

Rollerskating HOOKERS YUM !

#15 6 years ago

Cactus Jack is not bad either... I know this will be a minority report, but I find the game fun.

#16 6 years ago

My vote is for Rollergames, very fun to play and some nice shots as well!

#18 6 years ago

Rollergames! I'll have a hard time parting with mine.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Cactus Jack is not bad either... I know this will be a minority report, but I find the game fun.

its a minority, because most have never played one...

#20 6 years ago

None of those. Shoot a little higher and get a T2, High Speed, Taxi, Cyclone, EBD, BK, F-14...... Spend a little more now to get a game you can sell or trade in the future. You will not regret it.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

None of those. Shoot a little higher and get a T2, High Speed, Taxi, Cyclone, EBD, BK, F-14...... Spend a little more now to get a game you can sell or trade in the future. You will not regret it.

I think Taxi is the only game you list that would even remotely be considered higher for me than RollerGames.

I really need to finish up my rollergames shop job so I can play it!

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think Taxi is the only game you list that would even remotely be considered higher for me than Rollergames.
I really need to finish up my Rollergames shop job so I can play it!

Like your posts, but disagree with you on this one Whysnow. If you buy Rollergames, Pinside rank #174, in your single game collection, when you get bored of it in 6 months and try to trade or sell it you will have trouble with only 55 people on Pinside who have it on their wishlists. I have a small collection like you will have, Newbie - 2 pins. I bought my players HS2, on 295 Pinsiders wishlists, for little above mid $1000's last year and my T2, on 250 Pinsider's wishlists, for the same price. Do you think I can sell or trade it for around what I paid for them in a reasonable amount of time later on?

Spend in the mid to upper 1000's and get a game people want, 100+ on wantlists on Pinside and in the Pinside 100. You will get a better game and be able to move or trade it later. You will not be able to upgrade with any of those games on the above list. Speaking from experience. Good luck.

#23 6 years ago

Diamond lady

#24 6 years ago

pinny >> if you buy right then I think you can sell right. That said, I dont ever expect to get out what I put in to a game.

I typically use the .50 per play theory. If I buy a RG and am into it for 1400, but put 800 plays on it, then selling it for 1200 means I still played half of those games for free or played all for a quarter. That is a pretty good deal to me.

If I over buy, then it is my job to play way more games on a machine before selling just so I can get my value out of it

#25 6 years ago

Tee'd Off was my first game and it worked out really well. It is an easy game to learn and fun for Golfers, kids, and the casual player. Mine was in great shape from the start, so I really didn't need to work on it much. That all changed when I bought my second pin a few months later; STTNG.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

pinny >> if you buy right then I think you can sell right. That said, I dont ever expect to get out what I put in to a game.
I typically use the .50 per play theory. If I buy a RG and am into it for 1400, but put 800 plays on it, then selling it for 1200 means I still played half of those games for free or played all for a quarter. That is a pretty good deal to me.
If I over buy, then it is my job to play way more games on a machine before selling just so I can get my value out of it

That is a good theory and makes pinball a real bargain compared with most other collectables. It has the best people also!

I agree with you that prices go down a little on pins between deprciation and your costs of maintenance. Every pin has a right "buy" price, so you can play it for a while and if you take care of it sell or trade it later for around, pehaps within 10%ish, what you paid for it.
A big question for Newbee's, and vetrans too, is what is the right buy price on a particular pin?

Hey Newbee, if you post the prices on these we will guide you also. In this list I like Rollergames, then Baywatch.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This is very true, well said. If you're a collector, you should really only care what a game is worth to you. If you do any type or restoration, new parts/boards, etc, it's hard to make money like it's an investment. People have a lot of ideas on value, and there are also tons of regional value differences where games are hard to come buy. Play it, love it, fix it up, trade it if you get sick of it towards something better.

I'm not a huge Rollergames fan, but I do agree it's the best game on your list. A lot of people love it. The biggest thing I would look for is flipper strength. You have to have great flipper strength to make it up that big middle ramp. Of course, you can always do a flipper rebuild, so that's a nice leverage point when you buy

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Agree... Look for Williams System 11 games. Their popularity continues to grow and they are pretty solid machines.

#30 6 years ago

Out of this list.... It is Baywatch, then everything else is a distant second. Theme aside, Baywatch is a LOT of game for the price. Shots, rules,layout, none of the others come close. If your collection was larger, I would consider the other titles, but as a single pin or small lineup, Baywatch is a no brainer.

#31 6 years ago

Do we have to pick from any of those on your list? HS2 is a fun low maintenance pin that's very affordable.

#32 6 years ago

Mot - thanks for getting me to waste 30 prime weekend minutes watching big hair and spandex!!!

If your goal in the hobby is to play, then get the best machine you can afford. Baywatch is a lot of fun, just wish someone would re-theme it. Teed-Off is a weak imitation of No Good Gophers, so seems difficult to sell. Street Fighter has a limited following amongst the folks who used to play the video game, but again has surprisingly fun gameplay. If you can afford it, I agree with the advice to move up a bit to F-14, Black Knight 2000, or Taxi. You'll be able to sell those easily enough when the time comes.

If your goal is to learn to repair and restore machines, you might want to start a little more simply, maybe with a Williams 3-7 machine like Firepower or Flash. Lots of them out there and at fair prices. They are an inexpensive way to learn your way around a pinball cabinet.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from boneman91:

Teed-Off is a weak imitation of No Good Gophers, so seems difficult to sell.

Tee'd Off was not a weak imitation of NGG! It was made in 1993 while NGG didn't come out until 1997. If anything, NGG was a sequal theme to it! Both are great games but Tee'd Off was first!

#34 6 years ago

I stand corrected!!!. I quess I meant of the two, NGG is the stronger game.

#35 6 years ago

Jumping in rather late in the thread and don't really know any of these titles all that well.

But one thing you may really want to consider if your first machine and on a budget is from whom you purchase. Pins are high maintenance and some more problematic than others. So if your skill level is not that seasoned you may want to find someone to help you find a reliable game or purchase from a pin reseller with some kind of decent 90day warranty, good reputation, know track record. If you purchase just based on best title off CL and it will need all flippers rebuilt in a week, or just made working (hackily) to sell. It may make your first pin experience horrid and start costing more money than you thought.

But late Gottlieb and Williams 11C both pretty solid. DE ?? No clue.

Food for thought. Hook up with a couple local collectors if you can, buy em dinner when they help you look at a potential purchase. They may save your ass.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

DE ?? No clue.

Essentially the same boardset as 11c. The only real gotcha on the big DMD Segas is the big DMD itself.\

OP, let us know what you decide, always fun watching first timers jump in the water.

#37 6 years ago

well Baywatch, Pamalla on a big DMD excellent! "JUMP in the waters with her"

just watched a CJ vid wow a light show. lots of insert to cup.

never played any on this list kind of weird??

#38 6 years ago

I've been watching the "This Old Pinball" about Williams System 11 and Data East. Those two platforms are very similar. Data East incorporated DMDs (half size, full size, and double size) into basically the same hardware (via a new board and CPU to drive the DMD) while Williams switched to a newly redesigned platform in WPC.

I've never owned either, but I think they're pretty similar. Clay's test bench actually uses the same hardware to run Data East games (even DMDs) and Williams System 11.

#39 6 years ago

I own two of these. Rollergames and SF2. I can say neither has ever got "old" on me. I would play SF2 before you buy it though...it is a love/hate type of game. I love it, others hate it.

Rollergames is a crowd pleaser, very few people dislike it...it also has some of the best music out there and the multiball is a blast.

Baywatch is good as well. Tee'd off can get a bit old to me, the gopher can get to you after many plays. Really can't go wrong with this list.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
Boards
PinSound
$ 249.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 42.00
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Ulm, MN
$ 50.00
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Ulm, MN
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside